Another thread about Auto Tipping.. where

do you go to tell them that your room steward and dining staff; and not to mention the cooking staff, are all doing a truly remarkable job and you feel they don't deserve $10 pp/per day.... but, they in fact, DESERVE WAY MORE?

Go directly to those staff that pleased you above your expectations and tell them via ADDITIONAL CA$H TIP !!!

do you go to tell them that your room steward and dining staff; and not to mention the cooking staff, are all doing a truly remarkable job and you feel they don't deserve $10 pp/per day.... but, they in fact, DESERVE WAY MORE?

We tip extra direct to that person that deserves it. This is in ADDITION to the auto tip.

I let the auto tipping on and I also give extra in cash to each person, cabin steward, waiter, head waiter etc.. It makes me feel good to give them extra, they work hard.

Same here! And of course fill out the comment cards & mention those who made your cruise fantastic!

I leave the auto tipping on and give extra tips directly to them on the last day!

I also make sure to mention them all by name in the comment card and list specific things they have done on my cruise to make it special for me. I hope this helps them with promotions and things.

DISCLAIMER ABOUT TIPPING: (See me on my high-horse)

All I'm saying is this: If you remove the tips from the crew.... they get in trouble and have to answer questions from their supervisors. If it happens too many times; I'm sure they will get "Nixxed" by Carnival. If I receive service from someone; you can darn well be sure I will tip accordingly! I knew before I booked that it would be $100 for me and DW to cruise just for tips. And I have budgeted extra money for room service; and for my steward and dining staff if they are even remotely good at what they do. It is a service industry. DEAL WITH IT!!

DISCLAIMER ABOUT TIPPING: (See me on my high-horse)

All I'm saying is this: If you remove the tips from the crew.... they get in trouble and have to answer questions from their supervisors. If it happens too many times; I'm sure they will get "Nixxed" by Carnival. If I receive service from someone; you can darn well be sure I will tip accordingly! I knew before I booked that it would be $100 for me and DW to cruise just for tips. And I have budgeted extra money for room service; and for my steward and dining staff if they are even remotely good at what they do. It is a service industry. DEAL WITH IT!!

This has nothing to do with your original question.....so why the sudden urge to rant and rave ? :eek::rolleyes::eek:

"newbies..."

I am using the auto tipping for the first time when we cruise next week. I'm, hoping it results in great service [we've always had good service] and that I will feel compelled to tip more.

Auto tipping only assures the servers they will get their due wages....it does not guarantee you will get better service and many will say they find service as good, better or even worse with this concept being adapted by almost all cruiselines. I just consider it a service fee and part of the cruise. If the service meets or exceeds my expectations, thats when the additional "TIPPING" comes into play.

Have a great cruise !

We usually leave an extra $10 daily for our cabin steward and then our dining room stewards we give an extra $40-50 each on our last day. Then we tip the Camp Carnival crew an additional $25 for both of our boys.

These folks are exceptionally nice, hard workers that go out of their way to please. Most are supporting families back home. We are about to go on our 3rd cruise and have never had even a mediocre staff member!

Unless someone was seriously terrible, mean or not helpful I couldn't imagine reducing the automatic tips.

Auto tipping only assures the servers they will get their due wages....it does not guarantee you will get better service and many will say they find service as good, better or even worse with this concept being adapted by almost all cruiselines. I just consider it a service fee and part of the cruise. If the service meets or exceeds my expectations, thats when the additional "TIPPING" comes into play.

Have a great cruise !

I feel very strongly that these service people should get the wages due them...I too consider it a service fee and part of the cruise. I think that it's important to tip those people who go above and beyond ... to reinforce the concept of good service, and to reward them for their efforts. From what I have seen, people who work on the cruise lines work very hard for their money. Thanks for the good wishes!!!

I prefer to increase the tips at the pursers desk. I actually do not want to hand people the cash.

I don't tip extra just so someone can thank me effusively or so I can feel like I'm the big spender. I tip because I think they earned it.

Back in the day when I waited tables, I always felt uncomfortable if someone personally handed me a wad of cash. Just leave it on the table, thanks. I mean, after all, I'm only doing my job!

Gosh... and I always believed and based on the smiles received, tipping personally to the staff that impressed you the most was the best method. I always include a small thank you note with the tip... and yes I have been thanked for the display of appreciation, but not to built up my ego or anything. I just like to personally see the smile on their faces as well as the appreciation they display. Who knows, they may have had a bad day/week with some other passengers and I just made it better ! :D

I take the auto tips off and leave a candy bar with a $2.00 bill tied around it for the stewart.

Bill

Don't understand you take the auto tip off and just give them a candy bar and 2 dollars? Why would you do that?:confused:

When you tip extra, do you just leave it in the room, or give it to them in person? or in the dining room, leave it on the table, or hand it to your server? Thanks jan

See my method in post #27. works for me and I get to see the appreciation on their faces ! :D

When you tip extra, do you just leave it in the room, or give it to them in person? or in the dining room, leave it on the table, or hand it to your server? Thanks jan

It's a personal thing, I think, but I just leave it in the room/on the table when they aren't around.

Archived