Are my kids allowed in the dining room on Formal Nights?

ok4uni2cruz

Yes, they do attend, and our DD absolutely loved to dress up for formal nights (she was 7 when we started cruising), and still loves to dress for dinner at age 21.

Our kids too! When we once tried to skip it in the interests of packing light there were protests all around. They feel its a highlight of the cruise experience. As far as our daughters are concerned EVERY night should be black tie! And even our football player sons sheepishly admit that "there's something about it". It makes sense to me when you consider that kids don't get nearly as many opportunities to attend formal affairs as adults do. I guess they are more "wowed" by them and enjoy the "adult" feeling of being included. Let 'em get all duded up and take plenty of pictures:)

Thank you for your replies. My youngest will be 5 when we go on our next cruise and I just wanted to make sure having her there was appropriate. My oldest will be 9 so I know now that they will have a great time.

Our last cruise we were flying by the seat of our pants the entire time and didn't even know the meaning of the word "schedule". We never made it to the main dining room which is why this time we are really determined to attend the dinners as well as the formals.

I didn't even think about what a wonderful picture that will be! Thanks:)

Definitely let them attend! DD17/DD20 have been attending since they began cruising at ages 4/7. They still love getting dressed up for elegant night dinners. It really opened up their eyes to what "real" food was, as they got to order off the adult menu and try many new foods. And eating in the dining room each evening, with real tablecloths, glassware, silverware - not the paper/plastic we eat off at home due to different schedules- really helped their manners and how they acted in public. Made them feel like young ladies at a very young age!

My grandsons have been cruising since ages 5 and 2. We have NEVER had problem in the dining room with the boys, staff or other diners. Comments as to how well behaved they are are the norm.

I do suggest for the younger ones to bring a coloring book as on our last two cruises there were no childrens menus available. They had lots of stuff in them to occupy the kids until dinner arrived.

Absolutely. Although it is now elegant night instead of formal night but it is definately recommended. My kids who normally eat hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza & mac & cheese actually went out of their element and ate things like sushi, lobster, salmon & shrimp. The only time I gasped was when my son picked up his bowl of mango cream soup and drank out of the bowl.:D Otherwise a very good experience for them in fine dining.

http://picasaweb.google.com/slajmartin/CruiseFeb09MexicanRiviera#5310952529817994770

Absolutely. Although it is now elegant night instead of formal night but it is definately recommended. My kids who normally eat hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza & mac & cheese actually went out of their element and ate things like sushi, lobster, salmon & shrimp. The only time I gasped was when my son picked up his bowl of mango cream soup and drank out of the bowl.:D Otherwise a very good experience for them in fine dining.

http://picasaweb.google.com/slajmartin/CruiseFeb09MexicanRiviera#5310952529817994770

Yukon111...I believe you left out chicken fingers & french fries!!;)

Been there... J

Why would you think they would not be allowed? As long as they are dressed and act appropriately, they are more than welcome.

I've seen inappropriately dressed, misbehaving kids there too ... and they still got served!;);)

Take the kids, dress them up, it's a great family photo op ... and if they get restless, take 'em to Camp Carnival ... no worries. It's easy to sneak out between courses and by formal night your kids and you will have figured out how long dinner takes, so you'll know if they will want to be there through all of dinner or not.

We usually get late seating ... so if that's what you get, just grab 'em a slice of pizza around 5 or so to hold them over until dinner and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Archived