Recommend small EZ digital camera WITH a viewfinder?

Trevoli

Hi all,

Seems like digital cameras are designed without a viewfinder these days. I don't like to use the display to frame my shots, especially on a bright or sunny day.

Can anyone recommend an easy digital camera that includes a viewfinder? Would love it if were a small, pocket-sized camera. I'm not so concerned about megapixels.

Thanks so much.

Thanks, Joanne. You're the second person to recommend the Canon Powershot.

Is 'Elph' synonomous with 'Powershot', or are they two different technologies?

Anybody else have a recommendation?

It's weird that manufacturers of digital cameras have decided to do away with the viewfinder on so many models. I guess it has to do with saving real estate: everybody wants a tiny camera with a gigantic display. And maybe if I'd learned to take pictures without a viewfinder from the very beginning, I wouldn't be so bugged by it. ; )

The Canon "Elph" series is different than the Canon "A" series, though I think they both use the PowerShot name. One big difference between the two types is the battery. The A series cameras use ordinary AA batteries and the Elph use a propietary rechargeable battery. That makes the A series cameras a little bigger than the Elphs, because of the space needed for the batteries.

Many people prefer the small rechargeable batteries, but I like the fact that my camera uses AA batteries that can be purchased anywhere. I use rechargeable AA batteries most of the time and carry a spare set. But if the batteries ever die unexpectedly, I can buy inexpensive AA's just about anywhere in the world. My cruise mate, who had an Elph, had a battery die in Santorini, one of the most photogenic places on the planet, and she was out of luck for the rest of the day.

Another reason I like the A series Canons is that they have a 4X zoom lens, while most point-and-shoots have 3X. With zoom, the more the better.

As I said, it isn't the tiniest camera around, but it is pretty small. Personally, I find the slightly bigger size to be more comfortable to hold.

The AA-batteries don't last as long as the propietary rechargeable batteries. Depending on the make, it can be a two hundred photos difference.

Regarding viewfinders it's mainly a space issue, but also some difficulties with what you see in the viewfinder and what you actually photograph.

The screen is 100% accurate, where the viewfinder can be anything from 95 til 85% off.

It sounds like you're looking for something like the Canon Elph-series though. They're small, easy to use and the image quality isn't half bad.

Myself, being a photo-nut, will bring my SLR and will try to get my grubby hands on an LX3 from Panasonic as well.

I just replaced my Sony Cybershot w-50 [6 mp] with the Sony Cybershop w-170 [10mp] and both have viewfinders. And with the new one I was able to buy an adapter that securely fits onto the camera along with both a telephoto lens and a wide angle lens.

I can highly recommend the Sony Cybershot. :D

Carole

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Canon Powershot A1000IS. Perfect for me. Small enough for pocket, but yet big enough to feel like I can hold it steady. Display is brighter than my fuji, but I still need the viewfinder too. Uses double a's either off the shelf or can use my rechargables from other camera. Lots of features, but most importantly it has an EASY mode where I can just point and click. I'm really happy so far!!!

A viewfinder was at the top of my wish list both times I bought cameras.

I have a Casio 750 which has a big LCD screen, a viewfinder and is a little bigger than my palm. They don't make it anymore but I'm sure ebay has some.

I recently bought a bigger camera Panasonic FZ 18 which also has a view finder but won't fit in your pocket.

Check out Steves Digicams for reviews and ideas.

Denise

I just replaced my Sony Cybershot w-50 [6 mp] with the Sony Cybershop w-170 [10mp] and both have viewfinders. And with the new one I was able to buy an adapter that securely fits onto the camera along with both a telephoto lens and a wide angle lens.

I can highly recommend the Sony Cybershot. :D

Carole

Thanks for the tip - I have been eyeing the new Sony Cybershot 10mp... a friend just bought one and he said he wasn't happy with the flash thing - didn't understand - however, I do like the Sony name - was my first digital and then got a Panasonic - which is nice too- but I want a new sony... Carol (without an E)

Many people prefer the small rechargeable batteries, but I like the fact that my camera uses AA batteries that can be purchased anywhere. But if the batteries ever die unexpectedly, I can buy inexpensive AA's just about anywhere in the world.

Just not at the Rose Bowl Parade! I had purchased a new set of AA's for the parade. They shut down after 1 picture. I went up and down the parade route this last January 1st and could not find anyone----stand, store, carts etc.----who had AA's. Next time I will have 2 sets!

That being said, I am on my second Canon Powershot and love it. I especially enjoy the PhotoStitch software the Canon comes with. It allows you to shoot a series of shots and put them together into one panoramic picture. Great for shots in port of a harbor etc.

• 1 month later...

Nikon Coolpix P50

has a wide-angle lens(27mm. equiv.) -out to 102mm (equiv.) at the tele end!

Emminently pocket-able!

Small enough that you will take it along when the DSLR is simply too big.

I now think of mine as a 'Table Camera'...to take down to dinner or breakfast

for the odd shot here and there. ;)

nikon_p50.jpg.f5ad209b9c29d43c2af1c0b63fff2511.jpg

Nikon_P50_3qtr.jpg.8c027ddfd168f4eee379983feeac79f1.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I love love love my Canon ELPH! It is the 400 series model and several years old. I love being able to just stick it in my pocket and pull it out as needed not goofing around with waiting for it to "warm up" and be ready for a shot that might be missed by other cameras. (My friend's camera was always terribly slow to boot up and I always felt bad while standing waiting to be photographed, people kindly waiting for us to finish, and then standing, embarasssed still longer til it was totally ready.)

I think it is going on its last legs though, I need to start thinking of replacing it.

• 2 weeks later...

In the DSLR world, I'm a Nikon girl, but for a small camera, I have liked the Olympus brand. I've bought a couple and they both had viewfinders. My sister found an older model for my husband (who rarely takes photos) with all the software, cables, etc. for $60... you can probably get them now for even less than that--and they take great pictures.

I also love my Sony DSH-9 (I think that's what it is) but it's been discontinued. It still takes great pictures, and like one person said, it can sit on the dinner table and not take up too much room.

Archived