Do they really have to change the time??!

I'm with you -- I see no benefit whatsoever to changing the time. I'm a "Morning Person" and I like it LIGHT in the morning.

However, the time changes DOES put us one hour closer to our LOS cruise in April!!!! :D

And why? Seriously......
No, they don't and in many places closer to the equator, they don't. The point of it, though, is to get more daylight time to occur when people are awake and can benefit from it. If it weren't for daylight savings time, the sun would rise before 4:30am in New York in June.

They don't HAVE to, and, sometimes, they don't! Always check the ship's clock (they're on every deck) before you leave the ship, and "synchronize" your watch to "ship's time"--whatever that may be! It really doesn't matter WHAT time it is in any given port!

Years ago, when I first started cruising, I seem to remember that the ships always changed the time on board to match the ports where they'd be calling. Nowadays, that is not true, and as a result, many a passenger gets themselves into trouble because when they hit dry land, the time is different than it is on the ship they just stepped off of.

It is better for me when the onboard time changes to match the country I am visiting.

Leslie

They don't HAVE to, and, sometimes, they don't! Always check the ship's clock (they're on every deck) before you leave the ship, and "synchronize" your watch to "ship's time"--whatever that may be! It really doesn't matter WHAT time it is in any given port!

If you are doing an activity or excursion that is not sponsored by the ship, you may need to know what time it is in port. Not everyone in port goes by ship time. While you need to keep track of time using the ship's time, sometimes it is helpful to know the difference.

Because some people get extremely confused by differences in ship time vs port time....;)

Well, on the last trip, land time was different than ship time! That really messed us up, we almost missed the ship in PV, we were 'zipping'!!

And, I'm a night person who loves to be out in the sunshine as long as I can. My two doggies appreciate the walks after dinner, too. :p

I'm with you -- I see no benefit whatsoever to changing the time. I'm a "Morning Person" and I like it LIGHT in the morning.

However, the time changes DOES put us one hour closer to our LOS cruise in April!!!! :D

Is there an answer to this ???

If a cruise ship is going on a long sailing ..... lets say transatlantic, I am in favor of changing the time on a ship according to the time zone that the ship is in.

But on short sailings like Florida to Cozumel, why to go through the effort, cost to the cruiseline, great inconvenience and hardship to he crew just to change the time for a day and change it again a day later.

There is so many people on the ship who serve us and have a relatively hard job to start with that will be affected by the 'daily' time change.

There are so many cooks or food preparers that will be getting up earlier or going to sleep later every day or two, if the time change needs to be implemented. So many waiters, assistant waiters, stewards, musicians and entertainers ( yes - because the show times will be affected as well, spa personnel, bar personnel ..... just about every one will suffer because of the constant time change.

You and I are only going on that cruise every so often ....... the crew does it every week or more often on the 4 or 5 day cruises ...... why to subject them to this 'body torture' ......... will the passengers / guests really benefit from the time change ? ........ maybe ? maybe not .

Some will change the time ( if there was a time change on the ship) and complain about that, ........ some will forget about that and still complain when they go to eat and it is too early or too late , some will just wonder about " what is a time change " ?

In my opinion it is so much better just to leave the time alone when going from Florida to Cozumel and coming back few days later ........ better for 'us' and better for the crew.

Wes

And what difference does it make what time is on land (local) ?

A person ( just about every one) has a watch ..... the time on that watch is the same as the ship's time. Nothing has changed.

There are signs that tell every one what time to get back on the ship ..... and yes they are 'talking' about the ship's time ( nothing got changed)...... so what is the problem ?

Let say, they did change the time on the ship to the local time ...... and half or more of the people / guests did not change the time on their watch ...... and they look at thei watch ..... and still miss the ship ......

I guess we have to have some better way ??? And who cares about the crew ..... let them keep changing the time every day .....

Wes

we have had a few times when they dont change the time...although sometimes it works out b/c the ports time is way off from the ships time and stores are closed when you arrive in port or close early compared to ship's time if you are in port late

ok please help me here as this is my first cruise I will be travelling on the independence to the med. When we arrive in Ciivitavecchia, my itinery says 7am(so this will be ship time...right???),so I then look at Italy time to work out what time to book my guide in Rome for???

Have I got this right???

I apologize, but I meant 'why do they have to change the time on the ships'?

I just got off the Mariner in LA and we had a time change the first night. I liked it because we did not have to worry about being off on the DST at the end of the cruise we were already set to go with that. It was the best time change that we had. IT also put us on the correct port time with 2 of the 3 stops. That was convenient.

I just got off the Mariner in LA and we had a time change the first night. I liked it because we did not have to worry about being off on the DST at the end of the cruise we were already set to go with that. It was the best time change that we had. IT also put us on the correct port time with 2 of the 3 stops. That was convenient.

You only had to change once? Last year, in April in the MR, we had to change twice.... Twice forward then twice back.....

Archived