Want to save money on a Royal Caribbean cruise? Maybe it's time to call your broker

njtom

Anyone who has owned Royal Caribbean stock over the past year is in a world of hurt. The value of 100 shares of the company has plunged nearly 83% to around $600.

But as with most things, there's a silver lining to the sharp decline -- at least if you're a Royal Caribbean cruise fan. As the stock has fallen, the booking discounts the company offers anyone owning at least 100 shares have grown in relative value.

Looking for a deal on your next cruise? The Cruise Log normally doesn't do stock advice, and we have no idea if Royal Caribbean shares are heading up or down in the coming months. But if you sail often enough on the company's ships, it just might make sense to buy a few of its shares at current prices for no other reason than to save money on future bookings.

The math is simple. Royal Caribbean long has offered shareholders discounts of up to $250 per cabin when they book on Royal Caribbean and its sister lines, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises. A year ago, when 100 shares of the stock was worth more than $3,000, the perk was just that -- a perk. But today, with the stock trading for less than the cost of a cruise ship umbrella drink, a new buyer of 100 Royal Caribbean shares would be able to make back the investment in discounts over the course of just a handful of cruises.

Anyone who has owned Royal Caribbean stock over the past year is in a world of hurt. The value of 100 shares of the company has plunged nearly 83% to around $600.

But as with most things, there's a silver lining to the sharp decline -- at least if you're a Royal Caribbean cruise fan. As the stock has fallen, the booking discounts the company offers anyone owning at least 100 shares have grown in relative value.

Looking for a deal on your next cruise? The Cruise Log normally doesn't do stock advice, and we have no idea if Royal Caribbean shares are heading up or down in the coming months. But if you sail often enough on the company's ships, it just might make sense to buy a few of its shares at current prices for no other reason than to save money on future bookings.

The math is simple. Royal Caribbean long has offered shareholders discounts of up to $250 per cabin when they book on Royal Caribbean and its sister lines, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises. A year ago, when 100 shares of the stock was worth more than $3,000, the perk was just that -- a perk. But today, with the stock trading for less than the cost of a cruise ship umbrella drink, a new buyer of 100 Royal Caribbean shares would be able to make back the investment in discounts over the course of just a handful of cruises.

Yes, this is true as long as you don't try to combine this benefit with any others. Most of the "sale" listing distinctly say "may not be combined with shareholder OBC". I booked my first RCI cruise in November, hoping to get in on this, but the fine print said "no". Its frustrating.

This is really a great benefit, especially now. Can anybody confirm that it really cannot be combined with other offers? Royal Caribbean usual is pretty good with discounts etc..

Do a quick search of this thread about combining discounts. I don't remember all the details but there has been much discussion regarding this. I only know that I tried since I am a stockholder to get the benefit. I received an email back stating that this benefit is not available on the cruise I booked because it was during a sale. It wasn't that cheap either. Not complaining, just reporting.

I just received the shareholder credit and the following was included in the email I received:

**PLEASE NOTE*** The shareholder onboard credit benefit has changed as to its combinability with other discounts or onboard credit offers. This pertains to NEW reservations made on or after 1/01/09 and Next Cruise reservations that are made after 1/01/09. If you have a reservation or NC booking that was created before 1/01/09, all eligible benefits will still be combinable. For more information please visit the website: http://www.rclinvestor.com.

I bought this stock before the DOW ran up yesterday. While stock prices change moment to moment, I've been consistently UP over $1/share since yesterday's stock market recovery. If that holds (I know, unlikely in this economy, but we can dream...), I will have made $100 on the stock and saved $200 (booking two cabins) on the cruise I intend to book for 2011.I couldn't use the share holder discount on my 2010 booking, because I used NextCruise. I'd realize a $300 return on a $600 investment! Not too shabby.

Of couse, with the sagging economy, RCL may do more than just eliminate the combining of benefits and eliminate the share holder discount entirely. I took that chance. I think the stock HAS to go up when (if) the economy (ever) recovers.

Peter Lynch always advised to invest in what you know. I know cruising. I LOVE cruising on Royal Caribbean. How can I go wrong??

You can always sell the stock after you have received the discount. No need to hold it.

I held the stock long enough to print a statement. Sold it after I had recouped my commissions ... about 20 minutes.

No, you must own the stock at time of sailing.

Laura

going on cruises just to get the $100 obc isnt saving $...if you are going on a $700 cruise just b/c you get the $100 obc it seems that you are actually costing yourself more $:rolleyes:but I suppose if you would go on that many cruises anyways then its another story

You can always sell the stock after you have received the discount. No need to hold it.

I held the stock long enough to print a statement. Sold it after I had recouped my commissions ... about 20 minutes.

According to RCL, you are supposed to hold the minimum of 100 shares of stock at the time of sailing to receive the stockholder OBC.

Why buy stock when you can have the same or a better discount by booking onboard or using a Platinum or Diamond discount or the numerous C and Anchor coupons. The stock is a loosing proposition IMHO.

A new cruiser would have none of the things you mention available to them so the stock idea could be a good one.

Sorry, I don't own (yet) and the online quote I saw listed a div.

No problem, I do miss things occasionally and wanted to make sure I was correct! I do believe the stock will eventually rise, so I have it as a long term investment. Its a bummer that I was unable to use it on my first RCI cruise booked, but I am sure there will be others. I've earned plenty of OBC on my CCL stock, so that makes me happy!

Can someone tell me if I can still do this if I am sailing this Sunday? I purchased the cruise via RCCL (no TA) and there were no discounts or incentives becuase it is a Spring Break sailing.

Do I have time to buy the stock and get the certificate before my sailing Sunday?

Thanks for the help,

Tina

Can someone tell me if I can still do this if I am sailing this Sunday? I purchased the cruise via RCCL (no TA) and there were no discounts or incentives becuase it is a Spring Break sailing.

Do I have time to buy the stock and get the certificate before my sailing Sunday?

Thanks for the help,

Tina

If you already have a trade account set up with money in it to buy, you can get the stock quickly enough, however if you don't that can take a couple of days. Not sure on how quick they can get it applied though once you have the stock...

So if you get a discounted fare, such as a hot deal, with no other discounts or coupons, will you be able to get the OBC from owning stock?

From RC investor website:

9. Combinability?

Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is no longer combinable with other Onboard Booking Credits, Loyalty Programs and/or other Reduced Fare Offerings. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to InvestorRelations@rccl.com, and a prompt response will be forthcoming.

So if you get a discounted fare, such as a hot deal, with no other discounts or coupons, will you be able to get the OBC from owning stock?

From RC investor website:

9. Combinability?

Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is no longer combinable with other Onboard Booking Credits, Loyalty Programs and/or other Reduced Fare Offerings. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to InvestorRelations@rccl.com, and a prompt response will be forthcoming.

I was unable to use my shareholder OBC for my first RCI cruise that I am going on this coming Monday. The sale I purchased this cruise under stated cannot be combined with any other credit and when I tried to turn in my proof to the appropriate department I received an email saying my particular booking is not eligible for Shareholder OBC...This was in November or December, well before the 12/31/08 cutoff...

I was unable to use my shareholder OBC for my first RCI cruise that I am going on this coming Monday. The sale I purchased this cruise under stated cannot be combined with any other credit and when I tried to turn in my proof to the appropriate department I received an email saying my particular booking is not eligible for Shareholder OBC...This was in November or December, well before the 12/31/08 cutoff...

I purchased my NextCruise in January 2009, so I could not combine a share holder benefit with my current cruise booking. I'll apply it toward my 2011 cruise, for which I will be booking two cabins. ($200 OBC)

You CAN combine the RCL Visa points with the share holder credit, however. They are two separate things and are combinable. I'll use my VISA points for a cabin upgrade, as I do every year, and my shares for OBC! Works for me!!

Thanks for the help,

Tina

Tina,

You do have time if you hurry. If you have an online account, buy the shares (minimum 100) and print out a statement showing the holdings in an account in your name.

You can email the statement, along with your name, address, confirmation number, Ship name, and date of sailing to:

ShareholderBenefit@rccl.com

I received a confirmation of the credit the same day.

Archived