Launderette on Westerdam

Redrufus

We're going on the long haul Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver on April 19th. Are there self-laundering and pressing/ironing facilities, please? (I realise you can have clothes laundered for you by the bag). Any other information on 'domestic' arrangements will be appreciated. Thank you.

We're going on the long haul Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver on April 19th. Are there self-laundering and pressing/ironing facilities, please? (I realise you can have clothes laundered for you by the bag). Any other information on 'domestic' arrangements will be appreciated. Thank you.

No, the Vista ships (Oosterdam, Noordam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam) and the Eurodam do not have any do-it-yourself laundry facilities.

Some of us miss the self-service laundries on board, like me!!!!!!!

I found out when I sail on Carnival's Valor, they have self-service laundries, that's one good thing about Carnival!!!!!

I think HAL made a big mistake by not putting in self service laundry. Princess still has them on all their ships HAL has them on the older ones. I love walking down the hall and throwing in a load, packing light. Being able to iron something quick. 4 of us traveled on a 12 day Princess last year, we packed amazingly light, took turns doing a quick load of laundry every few days.

I hate the whole system of sending items out, when will you get them back and sometimes items are missing etc

No way would I travel with kids on a Vista ship, yet they designed these for families? Things happen with clothes, you cannot predict when something gets soiled or needs ironed.

I'm hoping they retrofit the ships with laundry facilities.

Dream on!! :D The Vistas were designed with the plan of doing nearly all 7 to 10 day cruises, where launderettes would not get as much use as on longer cruises.

I think HAL made a big mistake by not putting in self service laundry. Princess still has them on all their ships HAL has them on the older ones. I love walking down the hall and throwing in a load, packing light. Being able to iron something quick. 4 of us traveled on a 12 day Princess last year, we packed amazingly light, took turns doing a quick load of laundry every few days.

I hate the whole system of sending items out, when will you get them back and sometimes items are missing etc

No way would I travel with kids on a Vista ship, yet they designed these for families? Things happen with clothes, you cannot predict when something gets soiled or needs ironed.

The R & S class ships all have laundry's on board...And I used to do a couple of loads, but no more..:):)

By the time you wait for the machines & then spend the few dollars to wash & dry everything it can take a few precious hours away from our vacation...Instead we send out a bag of laundry which is beautifully laundered & pressed for $12.00 per bag about once a week..Believe that you can get unlimited laundry service depending on the length of your cruise fora a reasonable price..We just include this as part of cruising..:D

You would be amazed what you can fit in those bags..Our bag was so heavy, last time that we were afraid to hang it on the hook outside our door on the Prinsendam..We almost could not lift it..We book long 14 day plus cruises.. You can still pack light & instead of spending the time & $$ doing laundry you can be out on deck enjoying yourself..

Have never lost anything & everything including my nightgowns come back beautifully pressed..

The trick to getting things into the bag is to roll everything as tight as possible..I'll roll 5 or 6 DH's shirts into a tight bundle together..DH does the bag stuffing for me..He stuffs the corners with his socks..There is not one inch of space left when we get through rolling & stuffing..I send his dockers slacks, shorts & shirts out plus all of his & my Underware...I also include much of my daytime shorts & tops...Have even sent a couple of my washable evening tops out....We only send things which can be laundered..

My special formal wear I'll wear on the ship several times..For our upcoming 28 day cruise, which will have 8 formal nights I'll take I'll take two long skirts (one can be worn on any evening) one pair of palazzo pants & only 4 evening tops which can be worn twice..I'll send his Tux out to be cleaned once or twice mid-cruise..

I came across a laundry list for the $12.00 bag from one of our cruises last week, but not sure what I did with it..If I can find it again I'll try to post it on this thread over the weekend..

I used the self-service laundry only once on our last trip to press a jacket, but again had to wait for the iron as so many PAX were in the hot laundry room..:eek:

JMO...Enjoy your cruise..Betty

We are also on this cruise -- and we did a similar one last year on the Westerdam.

There are no self-laundries on this ship.

We did have a couple of problems with the laundry we sent out -- after one of DH's shirts went missing for a couple of days we then learned to take pictures of what we sent out as we were asked to discribe what was missing. Then DH got back a pait of slacks with a BIG black mark on it that wasn't there when we sent it out.

Laundry was slow coming back -- we were (and will be again) in an SA Delux suite -- sometimes took 3 days!!

Here is our Roll Call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=867923

I have used the laundry per bag and some items were lost. We never saw them again. And the turn around time was mixed. If you need something laundered quickly, the self service option beats sending the laundry out. Many VIsta ships are taking longer trips, 10, 12 days and longer.

Is laundry soap provided or available? How about fabric softener sheets?

On the R&S class ships that have the lauderettes, a special low-sudsing detergent is dispensed by the washing machine. You should not use your own. No softener sheets.

On the R&S class ships that have the lauderettes, a special low-sudsing detergent is dispensed by the washing machine. You should not use your own. No softener sheets.

Sure you can use your own laundry detergent! Just follow the directions on the machines and only put in one quarter of a cup per load!

Also the Prinsendam. :)

HAL provides the special detergent; you provide the softener sheets.

Do you use tokens or coins to operate the machines? If tokens - where can be they be purchased? We are on Prinsendam in Europe.

The washers and dryers use American quarters. You can get change at the Front Desk.

The last time I was on the Prinsendam, there was no charge for the self-service laundry. I don't know if that's still true.

Archived