Hotels in London

chickalo

:) We are booked on Constellation leaving Sept. 5th. We plan to arrive in London on Sept. 2nd. Would anybody have any suggestions for hotels in london. We are looking for a well located and mid prices hotel. We have never been to London so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

:) We are booked on Constellation leaving Sept. 5th. We plan to arrive in London on Sept. 2nd. Would anybody have any suggestions for hotels in london. We are looking for a well located and mid prices hotel. We have never been to London so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I would go over to the Europe board and ask the same question if you don't get many answers here.

I know quite a few people are having really good luck with priceline in London. London hotels are expensive, so if I was just a party of 2 traveling, that is what I would do. We saved a bundle using priceline in Amsterdam last year. It worked perfectly.

I have been to London many times and when with my Wife I love to stay at the Sherlock Holmes. Right on, yes, Baker Street. It is 20 steps from the underground, around the corner to the Hop On Hop Off bus tour (which I highly suggest for your short stay in London), a few minutes from Abbey lane (for you Beatles fans). Actually, it is within walking distance of most things you will wish to see. It is also reasonably priced for London, in my opinion. I highly recommend it.

http://www.parkplazasherlockholmes.com/default.asp?section=375

We stayed at the Waldorf Hilton last August for 8 days. It was very nice right by theater district and Covent Garden. It can be expensive but with the current exchange rates and special deals it could be quite affordable. Executive rooms are well worth it.

We liked the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, Crowmwell Rd. near Gloucester Rd. tube station. Not far from Victoria and Albert Museum. I cannot tell you how much it would be by dealing with the hotel directly, as we booked it as part of the cruise/air package on our way to the Baltic. Would definitely go there again, though.

Ah, London, you will love it! I absolutely agree with City Inn. It is very close to several pups on Vauxhall St, and as already mentioned, is mere steps away from Parlament, Westminster Abbey, Millennium Wheel...you name it! Also, if you are interested in doing a "river tour" (which, in my opinion, is very cool!) the dock for it is not far from here either!

Have a great trip!

We're staying at the Winchester after our TA on the Constellation May 3-4. It was recommended by Rick Steves who usually doesn't disappoint. Can let you know after what we thought. You can always make a reservation and cancel if something better (a Priceline bid) comes up. Because of the exchange rate w/the $, the price has gone down considerably on all hotels in GB. This hotel has a very central location for sight seeing, but regardless, the tube in London makes getting around so easy, it really doesn't matter unless you want to walk alot.

Checkout any hotel prospects at tripadvisor.com for reviews. Since food so expensive, get a room with breakfast buffet included - glad we did. The al-la-carte buffet price was 17 L per person when we had FX at $1.98 per pound, so almost $34 US each. Be sure to visit Churchill's WWII underground bunker and museum. Watchout if trying draughts at taverns - I found out a few taps were hard cider, not the ale I thought I was sampling. Good Luck

:)Thank you everyone, I really appreciate all the suggestions.

I will look into everyone. The Winchester was suggested to me a few times and it's look like a nice hotel, so if you could give some feedback when you return it would be great.

I really urge you to take a close look at the Firmdale hotels. I live in Europe and travel a lot to London and none of the other suggestions can compete (in my view). The Firmdales are truly world class and also have a nice sense of place.

Enjoy your trip! No matter what hotel you end up choosing you will love London.:)

We stayed at Hilton Kensington last September for 7 nights. I believe it was about $200.00 a night and just booked on line through the Hilton. It is close to two tube stations-Shepards Bush, which was closed for remodling when we were there and in the opposite direction Holland Park. There are restaurants and grocery store's in both directions. The bus also stopped right in front of the hotel. We would just pickup danish and fresh fruit for our morning breakfast. I would also recommend looking at tripadvisor.com. You will find a lot of information on hotels and the sights. Enjoy your trip!

:)Thank you everyone, I really appreciate all the suggestions.

I will look into everyone. The Winchester was suggested to me a few times and it's look like a nice hotel, so if you could give some feedback when you return it would be great.

You may want to check the tube map before you select a hotel that isn't really centrally located. There are some nice/reasonable ones that are outside the main fare zone where almost all the historical, etc. sites are.

As a Brit not living too far from London - I would suggest the Grange Hotel Holborn. 3 mins stroll to the tube, 10 mins Covent Garden, 10 Mins British Museum, 10 mins Tottenham Court Road / Oxford Street... AND it one of the few reasonable priced 5* (according to the ratings) hotels WITH indoor pool / spa.

I stayed there 6 months ago - room / views / service all excellent - and all for a good price !

Archived