Versailles

sej67

If you plan to see just the chateau, it can probably be done in a half day. If you want to look at the gardens, Petit Trianon, Grand Trianon, etc., plan on a full day.

You can take the RER C from Paris to the Versailles Rive Gauche station, which is a short (10 minute) walk away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
If you plan to see just the chateau, it can probably be done in a half day. If you want to look at the gardens, Petit Trianon, Grand Trianon, etc., plan on a full day.

You can take the RER C from Paris to the Versailles Rive Gauche station, which is a short (10 minute) walk away.

Great answer. We did the chateau in half a day and took the RER. It is easy to do and there is a guided tour for the chateau. We didn't do the gardens, since the weather was chilly, it was in late September.

• 1 month later...
Since the original question was eight years ago, I imagine the holiday is a dim and distant memory. I wonder if they did go to Versailles?

We did, went through the cruise line. It was $185 for each of us. We did love it and it was worth it. I am sure it cost more now. The only thing we toured more elaborate than Versailles in golden splendor was the Vatican. However, Versailles was more tasteful, outside of Marie Antoinette's jewelry armoire, lol! that made my clothing armoire look like it is doll size.

We went to Versailles on a cruise tour from Le Havre. It was $250 per person and included lunch in a nearby restaurant. We toured the Palace first, had lunch, and then could see the vegetable garden or go see the gardens. We saw the gardens which were lovely. We were there in early June of 2015. Being 3 hours away, we were more comfortable taking a cruise tour so we didn't have to worry about traffic or unforeseen circumstances preventing us from returning to our ship on time.

We went to Versailles on a cruise tour from Le Havre. It was $250 per person and included lunch in a nearby restaurant. We toured the Palace first, had lunch, and then could see the vegetable garden or go see the gardens. We saw the gardens which were lovely. We were there in early June of 2015. Being 3 hours away, we were more comfortable taking a cruise tour so we didn't have to worry about traffic or unforeseen circumstances preventing us from returning to our ship on time.

The $185 each was back in 2007.

We did that also because the train returned too close to when our ship would be leaving. Paris was also a 3 hour train trip away; although there were more train times. We decided to forego Paris since it would only be 5 or 6 hours max we would have there. Two years later we took a land trip/tour to Paris. On the afternoon we arrived some in our tour group went to Versailles on their own from Paris. We rested instead since we had jetlag. I was glad we had already been there.

If I am well enough next year we are to do a British Isle cruise and one port is Laharve. I am not sure what we will do but we will pick something close by.

The OP's post leaves some questions. If one wants to visit Versaille from Paris, it is simply a matter of taking the RER (a regional cummuter rail system) to Versaille....walk a few blocks to the Palace and then do your thing. It does take some time to get to the station, hop on the proper RER line, and get out to Versaille...so we think this would generally be a 3/4 day or full day for folks wanting to walk through the Palace and expansive gardens.

From LeHavre (one of the possible cruise ports) it is an entirely different issue. Taking the train into Paris and then transferring to the RER is going to take several hours (each way). I think its also possible to go rail all the way (changing at Paris Lazare) but this would likely take about 4 hours each way. The faster way would be to simply rent a car and drive from Le Havre to Versaille (about 2:15 each way). And then of course there are the various tours...

Hank

The OP's post leaves some questions. If one wants to visit Versaille from Paris, it is simply a matter of taking the RER (a regional cummuter rail system) to Versaille....walk a few blocks to the Palace and then do your thing. It does take some time to get to the station, hop on the proper RER line, and get out to Versaille...so we think this would generally be a 3/4 day or full day for folks wanting to walk through the Palace and expansive gardens.

From LeHavre (one of the possible cruise ports) it is an entirely different issue. Taking the train into Paris and then transferring to the RER is going to take several hours (each way). I think its also possible to go rail all the way (changing at Paris Lazare) but this would likely take about 4 hours each way. The faster way would be to simply rent a car and drive from Le Havre to Versaille (about 2:15 each way). And then of course there are the various tours...

Hank

Hank, this is a very old thread but I do think the OP meant from a cruise ship, not Paris. You are right, if you are visiting Paris and not with a tour group or else have a free day, it is not hard. Our tour group had all our days planned except for the day of arrival.

and you brought up another good point. From the cruise ship we only had time to see the main palace and surrounding gardens. Unless a cruise ship overnighted there, I assume that would always be true.