waverunners in cococay

jessalz

what exactly does this excursion consist of?

i know it's about an hour, does it stop anywhere or is it a straight hour of riding?

also, is it hard? lol i can't swim and i'd be way too scared 2 fall off! so is it easy for a first-timer?

It's actually a tour around some of the islands. You start out with an instructional safety video and then they pick the order of riders. It's follow the leader type. My GF and I did it back in October 07. They go in order and you raise your hand for the position you want. I'm more experienced and wanted to go fast so I raised my hand first an got it. My GF had never been on one before and chose to go last and did.

There were two guides and you make a few stops on the way. One guide is the leader and on some legs of the tour he'll go full throttle and the more experienced can keep up but the second guide is in the rear to make sure the less experienced don't get lost or hurt. When you make stops the guides gather everyone up and talk about the history of the islands and will dive down and bring marine life up to show and talk about. They'll also let you get off and swim around a little until everyone catches up.

It was a lot of fun and we plan on doing it again this year. My GF wanted to be a passanger because sh had never been on one and I talked her into driving. She loved it and we rented one the next day in Nassau so she could drive again.

We're thinking of doing this in May when we're on the Monarch. My friend has driven jet skis before and she says it is easy. I've never even been on one so I can't decide if I want to be a passenger or take the plunge and drive.

If you go, please leave a review so I can see how it went!

:D

Thanks! it sounds like a lot of fun, i'm just scared to fall off lol. is the water really deep? is it hard to turn? i heard if you turn too fast or too slow it might tip over causing you to fall off.

Thanks! it sounds like a lot of fun, i'm just scared to fall off lol. is the water really deep? is it hard to turn? i heard if you turn too fast or too slow it might tip over causing you to fall off.

It's a lot harder to tip one than you think...unless you're trying to. :p

The water wasn't super deep in most places though you are wearing a life vest so it doesn't really matter. The guides were really good too!

My DH and I did the waverunners last February. We each rented our own, and it was 79 apiece, I think. I have no idea what they charge for a passenger.

I had a bit of an issue with mine... There is a safety mechanism that shuts the waverunner down if you do do fall off. On mine, the key was attached to my lifevest, and everytime I would hit a large wave, I would bounce off the seat and the life jacket would pull the key out of the ignition. In an attempt to switch to an operational jet ski, they made me get off the jet ski I was on, and swim to another. Because the key needed to stay with the waverunner, they made me take my life vest off first. However, between being slippery from my suntan lotion, choppy waves, and a lack of upper arm strength, I had difficulty getting on the second jet ski. I spent about eight minutes treading water with no life jacket. Had we been able to wait until the first stop, where the water was shallow enough for me to touch bottom, it might have gone a little better.

If you're not a strong swimmer, I would skip it.

Why did they attach the key to your lifevest and not your wrist? We did this excursion and it was attached to our wrist.

Jessalz, we were first timers when we did this excursion. We each chose to drive our own waverunner. DH was about 5th in line since he said he would go fast and had shown he could drive. My DS, 16 at the time, was second to last and I was last in line (fine by me:o). They are really not hard to drive, just stay in the middle of the wake the one in front of you makes. If there is a big swell coming, back off the throttle a little and pick your butt up off the seat a little so your legs act as shock absorbers.

No one in our group flipped over though one person did lose their passenger when they hit a swell. You do need to turn gently if you are going fast just like you have to in a car so it really isn't hard. I don't think I would have been able to get myself back on the waverunner though had I fallen off but I could have had DH push :eek::D

As far as being a non-swimmer, you will be required to wear a life jacket, everyone has to were one. As long as you are comfortable floating in water over your head and won't panic, then go for it. If you are going to be at all nervous, then don't waste your money.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Did they have lockers at the place you did the orientation to put your stuff while you ride the waverunners?

Also, do you wear shorts or just a swimsuit.

They do have lockers for rent, I think they were almost $5 additional (which ticked me off since we already paid for the excursion).

We just wore our swimsuits, but if you are more comfortable with shorts on you will be fine.

• 6 months later...

This is a "follow the leader" sort of thing....if you go fast, you'll be waiting for the slowpokes most of the time....If you go slowly, you'll be holding up the rest of the group.

If you want to "do your own thing", this is NOT the place to do it. Almost every public beach in every port will have waverunners to rent...no "excursion" needed. You can go at your own pace, and do what you want.

This is a "follow the leader" sort of thing....if you go fast, you'll be waiting for the slowpokes most of the time....If you go slowly, you'll be holding up the rest of the group.

If you want to "do your own thing", this is NOT the place to do it. Almost every public beach in every port will have waverunners to rent...no "excursion" needed. You can go at your own pace, and do what you want.

A 14 yr old will not be allowed to drive then either. Most beaches require you to be 18 and some 21 to be drivers.

Archived