It's about time there was a crack down on this crime!

I just read the TSA web site 3 times and no where does it say to leave your luggage unlocked. It uses words like "may have to be broken". I would rather lose a $3 lock than have some clown rifle through my luggage because I dont have a lock on it. So far, it hasnt happined

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have no idea where you ppl get this "no lock " policy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please don't take this the wrong way. Where have you been? Are you new to traveling by airplane in the US? As the TSA was struggling to meet the December 31, 2002 deadline to inspect 100% of all checked luggage, they issued direction to all passengers to not lock their luggage. You can read about it here.

This was hugely controversial. There were many many discussions here on these message boards as well as every other corner of the travel community.

Since then, it does seem that the TSA has honed their process, and as you say, now presents the traveler with a choice, or perhaps a risk factor: lock it and you may lose it. Again, please don't take this the wrong way... I'm just very surprised that you don't know about the history of this issue.

By the way, I use cable ties, and have found them removed on multiple occasions, but never a note from anyone saying they did it. icon_frown.gif

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brn2crz:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=183&content=090005198008370b<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you read the last paragraph on this web site it states...

"TSA suggests that you help prevent the need to break your locks by using a TSA recognized locking mechanism. These "special" locks can be opened by TSA using tools provided to us by the luggage industry members."

This would mean if you use the locks that come with the luggage, TSA has keys to open them. In that case, there is no reason to cut the locks off.

Brilliance of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;1;24;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Monarch Of The Seas

Whodunit Murder Mystery Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;3;17;50;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Ecstasy 8/2001

Voyager of the Seas 8/2000

Carnival Holiday 3/1998

Viking Seranade 1/1996

Viking Seranade 4/1995

Dowser307, you just haven't passed through the right airports. Before I "learned", I had several locks broke off by the TSA. How do I know that? They put a blue tie-wraP

'till we sail on the Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

'till we sail the Brillance in the Mediterranean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;6;17;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Sorry for the break-that was to say they put a blue tie-wrap with their logo on it. There are several airports, of which I just passed through 2, that specify not to lock your luggage. So it may not be in all airports, but believe me it's at many.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;6;17;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

http://www.cclsecurity.com/news/pressreleases/searchalert.html

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/searchalert.htm

Maybe I don't understand your point.

If you use your luggage locks that come with your luggage,they will be cut off,if you use these..they wont...

But then,the same people still have access to your luggage.

<RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

RCI-Rhapsody- 2004

until the return to the Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

netdiver.gif

Well the point of this thread was the TSA agents were the ones doing the stealing and folks suggested they just lock their luggage. Some of us have pointed out that locking is not an option that will stop this kind of theft as they just cut the locks off. With the combination lock you just posted, it still doesn't stop this kind of inside theft.

cruisinMike,

I was thinking the same thing. The whole point of this post was to let people know that the TSA employees are the ones breaking into and stealing things from people's luggage.

It doesn't matter if you use locks, or not. The TSA will do what they want to with your stuff, and there is not a thing you can do about it.

(26 prior cruises & 2 flights on Concorde)

It has been said that angels, while on Earth,

aren't allowed to show their wings,

but nothing was ever said

about not showing their whiskers. <^..^>

arrrrrggggg.

I said,that was the point I was making in response to what Kstevens said.

In response to my link to the TSA..someone had to nit pik and say that...it said they would be cut off,not that you HAD..to leave them off.

Then K said,that no..the TSA could use keys to open your regular locks on your luggage!!!

So,I then posted the link SIMPLY TO SHOW the types of TSA approved locks....

That was my WHOLE POINT.

If they are the ones stealing it DOES NOT MATTER

what kind of locks you have!!!

<RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

RCI-Rhapsody- 2004

until the return to the Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

netdiver.gif

I use colored ty raps, when they have inspected they have replaced my ty raps with their own, and they have put a piece of paper inside at least 2 times saying it was inspected. Never put small valuable things in your checked luggage, electronics, cameras, jewelry, medications. Don't have much choice about your fancy evening gown.

jc

Hopefully they will prosecute the former tsa employees to the full extent of the law.

Unfortunate that a couple of TSA morons decided to steal high-profile electronics. Idiots. I hope they are prosecuted also because they make me, a fellow checked baggage screener, look bad. I suppose that since LAPD beat up Rodney King, all police officers are goose-stepping, violent psychopaths. Would any of you agree? OF COURSE NOT.

Do not pass judgement on all TSA screeners because of the actions of a few. The reason why they made the news is because is it UNUSUAL and RARE. If an airplane crashed every day, the front page of newspapers would say that plane did NOT crash.

My advice is: Don't lock your suitcases. Use cable ties, and pack a small pair of scissors or a nail clipper in an exterior pocket to snip the cable tie off. Locks and cable ties are designed to prevent accidental opening, not theft. Some of you have addressed this. As for hardsided luggage, leave the latches and combination locks unlocked, and use duct tape to ensure the latches do not come undone accidentally. Don't bother with the Travel Sentry locks. They're expensive, bulky, and not every airport has the master keys (though they're supposed to).

I have broken locks with my bare hands, and have no hesitation breaking locks in order to complete a search. I can open and your softsided wheelie bag without ever messing with your lock. I can open your combination lock without you ever telling me the combination. I can open your brass Master key locks without a key. That is, if I feel benevolent. If it comes down to it, I will open the suitcase by force, with extreme prejudice. Either I search your bag or one of two things can happen: 1) Your plane may explode if I give up on searching a bag. Not happening. 2) Your bag doesn't fly. Simple.

Each airport has some variation in technology, so your experience will vary. Assume that you will not have the PRIVILEGE of re-locking your bag after inspection. If you do, consider yourself lucky for the courtesy.

Remember, your bags also pass through the hands of airline baggage personnel, not just TSA security. Don't keep valuables in your checked luggage. That's asinine. Carry your money, jewelry, and your electronics in your carry-on bags. I know we shouldn't have to think that way, but if you have a problem with it, go find Osama and tell him how much you don't like having your stuff unlocked and screened.

Travel/cruise safely everyone, and use common sense. Please. Thank you for listening to my rant.

Serenade of the Seas 5/30/04

Vision of the Seas 12/03

Rhapsody of the Seas 6/97

Majesty of the Seas 6/94

Paw323,

I understand that not all TSA employees are thiefs, but unfortunatly, some are. Some, like you, may be "the good guys", just doing a crappy job. But all my things are valuable to me and I don't want any of them stolen. That's one reason I object to leaving my suitcases unlocked for anyone to steal from.

The second and most valid reason that I most strenuously object to leaving my cases unlocked is the sad fact that it's only a matter of time until someone (?? TSA employees or airline employees) will put something IN to my suitcase. Whether it is illegal drugs or explosives will not matter. I will be the poor schmuck that the Feebs will arrest & harrass. That's why I beleive so strongly in locking my suitcase!!

Beleive me, I ship my luggage by FEDEX as much as I can. It's less hassle for me and makes the security hassles at the airports so much easier to handle. But it's not possible to every destination (overseas, for example)

I just don't understand why the TSA cannot have all the big xray machines for the checked luggage out in ther terminals where passnegers can wait for their luggage to be screened and then lock their bags if they want to. For people that don't care if their items get stolen, it doesnt' matter anyway. But for people like me, we would be able to lock our luggage and maybe kep from having our stuff stolen and dangerous items put in our luggage. It only makes sense and if there is nothing to hide, then why not??????

Catnip - Just curious as to how much it would cost to have a suitcase(say 75 pounds) FEDEXed? Where do you have it sent and how far ahead of time. We are going to fly into Orlando, so purhaps you have experience with this port of call.

paw323 - Thank you for the insight of baggage handlers. Question: Are all bags inspected? I use the cable ties, and noticed on my last trip that they were not disturbed.

<MARQUEE>Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

Hi paw323,

I wouldn't call that a "rant"... and I appreciate hearing your perspective. Every sane person would rather have their luggage searched than explode!

Question for you: What would be your guess as to why I've had my cable ties cut off on several different trips, but have never found a note from anyone explaining that? Are the TSA folks not providing the note? Or are the airline folks cutting the ties and going through my stuff? Or some other reason?

Really wondering about that.

Thanks,

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

Catnip: Thank you for your point of view, as it is well taken. As for screening occurring in passenger lobbies as opposed to restricted areas of the airport, some airports just don't have the space in passenger lobbies for screening machines, or the airport prefers to keep them out of sight. That's how it is at SFO, where we still have some machines in lobbies but eventually will all be in restricted areas. I don't know why, that's SFO and TSA's decision. As for introduction of foreign items into your suitcase, my opinion is the chance of that is between slim and none, and Slim has just left town. All people in restricted areas have had extensive background checks, and identification must always be visible. Everyone checks everyone else. As for the college student that put boxcutters on Southwest airliners, no procedure or facility is absolutely perfect, nor are our screening procedures. The security procedures and screening procedures are enforce by HUMANS (i.e., apt to commit mistakes).

Family of 14: Point of clarification: Baggage handlers move your baggage from screening areas to the aircraft, then off the aircraft onto the carousel/conveyor belt for you to pick up, and are employed by the airlines. Baggage screeners inspect baggage and ensure that they are safe for travel. That aside, TSA mandates that ALL checked baggage is screened, either by X-Ray/Computed Tomography machines, explosive trace detection machines, physical inspection, canine inspection, or a combination of said methods.

TPKeller: Thank you for the words of support. Whenever baggage is inspected by TSA, two things must occur: 1) A Notification of Baggage Inspection with the screener's ID number MUST be left in the baggage. 2) A numbered TSA seal must be placed in the zipper tabs or stickered over the latches. The seal (zip-tie style or sticker) is logged along with the screener's name at the airport of inspection. The only explanation I have is that the TSA screener is not following procedures, or that the zip tie was removed by another party, or even perhaps by a conveyor belt. Stranger things have happened. Regardless, keep valuables in your carry-on. Which airport(s) do you fly out of?

Vision of the Seas 12/03

Majesty of the Seas 6/94

Thanks for the clarification. ANY person that was handling my baggage whether it be a TSA employee or airline employee is a baggage handler in my book. icon_biggrin.gif.

Are there certain items or shapes that might show up on an X-ray that would cause the TSA to hand check the bag? I would like to avoid a hand check if at all possible when I cruise. I work so hard on the ironing since there is no ironing allowed on the ship.icon_rolleyes.gif On my last cruise, my bags were turned inside and out. My clothes were a mess! Especially my hanging bag of all nice clothes. I couldn't figure out why it was checked, my clothes were taken out and then put back in... out of order! I had them hanging in order of what night I would wear them. My first thought was that someone had looked through my dresses and had stolen an outfit, but they were all there.

<MARQUEE>Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

</MARQUEE>

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

Hi

I actually have a positive comment for the baggage handlers. We just returned from the Nav and bought 10 bottles of rum. My spouse put 6 of the bottles in the case in a duffle bag. When we retreived our luggage my hubby noticed that the duffle bag was lighter. He opened it up and noticed that 2 bottles of rum was missing. Our first instinct was that somebody stole them. We then found a note that said only 4 bottles per bag and they had moved 2 of the bottles to another bag with a nice note telling us to enjoy.. The other bottles were neatly placed in the other bag.. I was impressed !!! now, thats good luck !!!

Vicki

Pa323,

One of your remarks I feel I need to respond to. As I said before I am not slamming you in particular, jsut the whole messy and unstructured TSA system in general. Yes, it may be "better than nothing", but the billions of Federal $$ available to "fight terrorists", there should be a "standard of care" mandatory at all airports, not just some of them.

In my opinion, if a passengers suitcases look suspicious, then get the passenger to open the lock and stand there while you tear his personal stuff apart. That way he can explain what a particular item is (it may some something very innocent that none of the TSA screenners have seen before!!)

You said, quote: :" As for introduction of foreign items into your suitcase, my opinion is the chance of that is between slim and none, and Slim has just left town. All people in restricted areas have had extensive background checks, and identification must always be visible." I must very heartily DISagree with your statemtent. People get thru screening all the time with shady backgrounds and I most certianly think it's only a matter of time until something gets puts into to poor passengers suitcase. It could happen anywhere and by anyone, when the cases are wide open with no locks to protect them.

It's just a poorly thought out system, in my opinion, that needs a whole lot of work and fine tuning. Like I said before, if there is nothing to hide, then why not let the passengers stay and watch their cases get xrayed and then lock them? Surely, that would be simple to do.

And again, I am not slamming you, just the agency you work for could be streamlined a bit better for the safetly of all passengers. I imagine most of you TSA folks are really trying to go a good job.

Chicago OHare last week, we arrive curbside checkin, check our bags and they tell me to undo the locks and that TSA will relock them when finished. I try to follow bags to TSA area, and am told to move on. I go inside but can still see them, now my locks were UNLOCKED, but still on the zippers. They snapped one because they were too lazy to see if it was undone, it was - and they damaged the zipper. Knocked out 3 zipper teeth and now I cannot zip past that point - saran wrap for me everyone! I spoke to someone in Miami about the TSA damage and like I seen in earlier posts, no luck!

Coming home, Miami let me stay with my bag, let me watch as they went through it, and were very gentle with their search.

I still make it a point on the way home to put all dirty socks and underwear right on top! icon_smile.gif

April 2003 - Rhapsody (RCI)

April 2004 - Voyager (RCI)

On our last return from a cruise flight, we secured our checked bags with plastic strips. TSA cut them off, examined the contents of both bags and left a note inside saying the bags were inspected, items returned and the bags secured again with a "tamper proof lock." When we claimed the bags back home, both were unsecured, zippers open and easily subject to theft going on and off the plane.

Just another reason why we don't fly anymore and all our future cruises will be round trip out of New York.

I am as frustrated by things the way they are as anyone, but I can't imagine just giving up on travel because of this.

I think you are over-reacting, considering how few real problems actually occur. I am not going to limit my life because of the terrorists or the security in place to stop them.

jc

Ok, forget it. I'll just go home and tell all my 1,100 co-workers to stay home and not screen ANY passengers or ANY baggage. It's just too much hassle, and it'll save a whole ton of money if we don't screen anyone. How much do you think we can get by selling all the wands, x-ray machines and metal detectors? Probably not enough to compensate families whose loved ones will die when a plane gets hijacked or blown up. Keep ranting and raving. I give up on yet another board that doesn't appreciate those people like me who haul their asses to work at 4 AM to try to do their part to make their world safer, as flawed as the system may be. Obviously the Army is a flawed system, because as "professional" our all-volunteer Army is, they still abuse prisoners of war. Why not dismantle the Army because they obviously can't do ANYTHING right. All we ask is that they kill people and break stuff. That's their job, and can't deal with prisoners. Before anyone flames, THEY ARE HUMAN, and SO IS THE TSA. STUFF HAPPENS.

Vision of the Seas 12/03

Majesty of the Seas 6/94

The only time my luggage was broken into happened over fifteen years ago when some baggage handler at Newark broke the lock and rifled through the contents. Since then I have never locked my luggage and have never had a problem, although I hand carry cameras or other easily stolen items. IMHO, I think the increased scrutiny of checked baggage has probably cut down on theft as the people handling luggage are better trained and are subject to greater background screening.

Archived