Review: STAR 3/14 (*LONG*)

halos

Angel, I thoroughly enjoyed your review (like always) and all the pictures you shared! Thank you for the feedback.

By cruising the Star, you got a glimpse of the Dawn (her sister ship), with many similarities in decor and layout. We love the crew on the Dawn and I have no doubt you'll have a repeat experience on your next cruise. ;)

Our sincere sympathies for your loss!

Barb, I have no doubt that our cruise on the Dawn will be excellent. We've got a great group going :)

Wow I hate to hear that. :( Loved your review and the photos, but this kind of report of childish, rude behavior is one reason why I often don't go to M&Gs (or even join the roll call).

This is just plain bad manners, and there's NEVER an excuse for treating others disrespectfully, especially at a social gathering.

I don't want to discourage anyone from attending the Meet & Greets. I have been to one other one, which was the TOTAL opposite. We have made great friends through Cruise Critic. :)

Thank you so much for the wonderful, colorful review! Can't wait to board on Saturday---you've really added to my excitement.

My sympathies on your loss. While my parents were on a 14-day Hawaiian cruise, my grandmother passed (not entirely unexpectedly---90's). I made the shore-to-ship call, and the cruise line handled the situation compassionately for the remainder of my parents cruise. Celebrate life---every day is a gift.

Thanks, again.

...and loved your pictures and those of the ship reminded me of when we cruised her several years ago.

I'm glad you left the M&G. That's disgusting. I don't know why people have to be so miserable. And the poor crew that got attacked. Here they were thinking they were going into a happy place and got accousted instead. Just think, if those cruisers are complaining and miserable on a cruise just how miserable they live the rest of their lives.

You and your postive energy are infectious. It's one of the reasons I'm so happy about our Dawn cruise in Novemeber!!!

I'm glad you were able to have a good time despite the loss of your grandmother. The little bit I know of her, I think she would have wanted you to do exactly what you did. :)

Kathy

Thank you for the wonderful review and photos -- I love positive reviews!!

Please accept our thoughts and prayers for your family's loss.

Thanks. LOL, if you love positive reviews, then you should read all of mine. :rolleyes: :p

There have been nothing but a very few minor nuisances on my (11) cruises. I don't know if I'm lucky or if other people are just miserable. I know that at this point, there are members here who won't even bother to take my reviews seriously because they're always good. LOL....I guess I'm a HORRIBLE critic! :o

The Mayan Flyers looks like Tallum. Looks like a lot of fun.

Da Bear

It was fun Rick!! :)

...I'm glad you left the M&G. That's disgusting. I don't know why people have to be so miserable. And the poor crew that got attacked. Here they were thinking they were going into a happy place and got accousted instead. Just think, if those cruisers are complaining and miserable on a cruise just how miserable they live the rest of their lives.

Kathy

Kathy, this was NOTHING like our group on the Spirit cruise....*sigh*

I rushed out and grabbed the Hotel Director (John) and the F&B Manager (Ivo) and talked to them a little bit. They're great people and handled the situation with a lot of class, Bless their hearts.

Hi,

we were on this sailing also. Sorry to hear about your grandmother. You probably saw my daughter if you went to the welcome aboard show. She is charley. Her and her boyfirend were in the show as part of the spoon game. They participated in a lot of the activities on the ship. They both had their hair braided in Matzalan.

We didn't make the meet and greet. We were too busy but it sounds like it was probably for the best.

It is funny how two prople can be on the same cruise and have diffeent opinions. We never met our room stewart and couldn't tell you if was a man or woman. Our service was way below par of other cruises we have taken. We didn't receive towel animals let alone towels or washcloths or coffee. lol

We thought the tendering was the best out of the four times we have tendered in Cabo. We got tickets for the first tender and got right on. We had no problems.

We had a great time. Wish service would have been better but I will be on the Star again for the repositioning to alaska and in a minisuite so hopefully things well be great then.

Glad you had a great time.

Hi,

we were on this sailing also. Sorry to hear about your grandmother. You probably saw my daughter if you went to the welcome aboard show. She is charley. Her and her boyfirend were in the show as part of the spoon game. They participated in a lot of the activities on the ship. They both had their hair braided in Matzalan.

We didn't make the meet and greet. We were too busy but it sounds like it was probably for the best.

It is funny how two prople can be on the same cruise and have diffeent opinions. We never met our room stewart and couldn't tell you if was a man or woman. Our service was way below par of other cruises we have taken. We didn't receive towel animals let alone towels or washcloths or coffee. lol

We thought the tendering was the best out of the four times we have tendered in Cabo. We got tickets for the first tender and got right on. We had no problems.

We had a great time. Wish service would have been better but I will be on the Star again for the repositioning to alaska and in a minisuite so hopefully things well be great then.

Glad you had a great time.

I'm sorry your service was so shabby!!!! It enhances the cruise so much when the service is good. I hope that you filled out the on-line comment card and/or wrote to the Miami Corporate address with your experiences. They need to know who gives poor service as well as who gives great service.

Whew! I'm glad to hear that tendering in cabo wasn't bad.....we just assumed it was because they were so slow calling numbers off. I thought I was going to come back here to a barrage of complaints. I'm happy that isn't the case.

I'm so sorry you didn't have my cabin stewards. I do think part of the reason they were on top of their game is that Cruise Critic is very much noticed on these ships by the crew....they are totally aware of what is said on these boards. My Steward made the comment to me (knowing I was a CC member) that he was taking care of 6 cabins (out of 28!!!) that had CC Members in them.

28 cabins is a lot to take care of don't you think?? I thought that number was REALLY high!!:eek:

These 2 guys were actually the 2nd best stewards I have ever had. The steward that was the best was on Celebrity. We had a Consierge Class Cabin on that cruise and the Steward (or consierge) had only 4 cabins to attend to. Considering the difference in work load, my NCL guys did pretty dang good. I wish you could have had the same service.

I did see the welcom abaord show and the spoon game!! I may have pictures.....

Halos... I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Although I don't know you and did not know your Grandmother, I am very sure you did exactly what she would have wanted you to do and that is to continue to have as good of a time as possible.

I am glad you had a great time onboard the Star. We love that ship and have always loved her crew.

Hope we get a chance to meet you on the Dawn repo cruise. Positive people are always a breath of fresh air..

Halos... I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Although I don't know you and did not know your Grandmother, I am very sure you did exactly what she would have wanted you to do and that is to continue to have as good of a time as possible.

I am glad you had a great time onboard the Star. We love that ship and have always loved her crew.

Hope we get a chance to meet you on the Dawn repo cruise. Positive people are always a breath of fresh air..

I look forward to meeting you! I am really looking forward to that cruise! :D

14 days with an awesome group...it doesn't get better than that!!

Thanks for your kind words. We were able to make it home for my Grandmother's services so it worked out fine.

Angel - fabulous review and so glad you had a great cruise.

(are you sure you don't want to adopt?) :p

You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers:(

Angel - fabulous review and so glad you had a great cruise.

(are you sure you don't want to adopt?) :p

You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers:(

I'll adopt you for sure! That way I'll get you on a ship with me FTLOG! :p

(still organizing pics...will send a link when I'm done)

I'll adopt you for sure! That way I'll get you on a ship with me FTLOG! :p

(still organizing pics...will send a link when I'm done)

LOL!

Please do :)

At least you are consistant, not handling your liquor. :)

Sorry about your loss. Hey, when were y'all going to tell me that you booked on the Triumph?

Dave

LMAO! I know. When will I learn???

Thank you.

OMG!! Will you and Michelle go with us? You have to email Kathy for the details, we booked through her TA.

Quest was NOT the same without you up there in your 4-play nekkidness! :p

so sorry to hear of your loss of gram

excellent review, thanks! i was starting to have my standard 2nd thoughts after booking the Star last week;), just what i needed to read.

:eek: re the M&G turning into such an ugly thing, not sure why peeps expect everything to be 100% perfection on a cruise when RL isn't:p

Qs for u:

*what's a good spot to pick poolside, confused re the tiered deck setup? realize u dealt w/big spring break crowd, yet curious as to whether the chair hogs were up bright & early

*on fence re anniversay package that includes lebistro...what sort of food, will have 16 yo DS-will he be uncomfortable here? he is used to fine dining, etc.; just not sure if it's an over-the-top sort of romantic place

so sorry to hear of your loss of gram

excellent review, thanks! i was starting to have my standard 2nd thoughts after booking the Star last week;), just what i needed to read.

:eek: re the M&G turning into such an ugly thing, not sure why peeps expect everything to be 100% perfection on a cruise when RL isn't

Qs for u:

*what's a good spot to pick poolside, confused re the tiered deck setup? realize u dealt w/big spring break crowd, yet curious as to whether the chair hogs were up bright & early

*on fence re anniversay package that includes lebistro...what sort of food, will have 16 yo DS-will he be uncomfortable here? he is used to fine dining, etc.; just not sure if it's an over-the-top sort of romantic place

Great questions because you brought up something that is important and I forgot to address it!!

I didn't like the pool set up. Around the pool, there were NO lounges, just tables & chairs. This is the first ship I have been on that was set up like that. To be honest, during that week, I wouldn't have lounged around the pool anyway because there were way too many kids, so we did lay up on that terraced area betwen the pool and the Beir Garten. We also sat up in the Quiet/Adult area on a couple occasions. there is a (not-so) hot tub up there, which was perfect for me because I don't really like hot tubs. This was cool enough for me to enjoy.

Only problem was I sat there too long with jets beating on me and wound up with a HUGE black and blue bruise on my arse! :eek:

Chair hogs gallore! :rolleyes: EVERYWHERE, including the adult area. :rolleyes:

I sat up there 4 hours one afternoon and saw 3 chairs in this small area with stuff on them and NO ONE came to sit there the entire time I was up there....and I sadly watched people walking by looking for a place to sit.

This is something that I should have complained in my written letter to NCL about (but I forgot about it until just now). They need 'chair police'. Celebrity has it and it is sadly a necessity because people seem to have forgotten basic manners and decorum of late.

Le Bistro is perfect to bring your son to. The menu is American food...not French, (although they do have escargot) so he can get steak/fish/chicken if he likes. It's not just for couples, so you will enjoy it. I personally prefer it to Cagneys...don't understand why it's cheaper than Cagney's to be honest....but shhhhh. We won't tell NCL that. ;)

Thank you for posting the picture of the spoon game. we didn't take a camera to the show so it is nice to have a picture of my daughter and her boyfriend.

Did you eat in the Aqua for breakfast? If so how was it? I will be traveling with my 87 yo mil and thought it would be nice for her. Can't wait to experience the minisuite in April.

Thank you for posting the picture of the spoon game. we didn't take a camera to the show so it is nice to have a picture of my daughter and her boyfriend.

Did you eat in the Aqua for breakfast? If so how was it? I will be traveling with my 87 yo mil and thought it would be nice for her. Can't wait to experience the minisuite in April.

You're welcome!!

Yes, had breakfast in Aqua one morning....it was just OK, nothing special.

Having the minisuite was a real treat :)

May I ask your cabin number? We've got 3 cabins on 11 next week, and I'm really hoping for your cabin stewards---I hope to have excellent room service---the kids LOVE the towel animals.

Thanks!

Absolutely! We were in cabin 11102. I hope you get my cabin stewards as well.

If you do get Ross & Mario, please tell them that Angel and Bill said hello.

cute towel animal:)

thanks for the info re the pool, i couldn't figure it out when i read description of terraced seating

i hate cold weather, being drug on this cruise to alaska (sure i'll have a nice time, just like warm kwim?). im wondering if the 'adult' pool is the one that is covered on this type of cruise & whether open to kiddos:confused:

what i don't know about this ship/alaska would fill a boat lol

imo, after an hour, saved lounges should become fair game:rolleyes:

we have minisuite back by the spa, read some TRs re noisy kids congregating in stairwells after teen clubs closed; seems odd to hang there imo, so many other things to do

Archived