How do you pack...ROLL or FOLD

I actually do neither. I do a "bundling" packing and it works like a charm. We were gone for almost four weeks .....9 flights, 1 cruise, multiple periods of packing and unpacking and I used this method over and over and it never failed me. Basically you start with your longer clothes such as long dresses & slacks going to shorter ones. Even my husbands suits made it with no problems. Here are a few links: http://www.onebag.com/pack.html, http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90 and http://lifehacker.com/software/travel/pack-like-a-pro-with-the-bundled-wrapping-method-301435.php. Take a look at all three to get an overall idea. It REALLY works great, you won't be disappointed.

Bundling! Yes, this is how I pack too. I didn't know that there was an actual name for it. :)

I roll underwear and socks, but for all our clothes, I put them together in outfits on hangers. I then pack one or two outfits into a dry cleaner bag. That makes for easy unpacking as I just hang up the hangers.

To pack to go home, I just take the hangers that are still hanging and put them back into one suitcase. All the dirty clothes, which have been stored in a dollar store hamper during the week, go into the other suitcase. So easy and no wrinkles.

We use the Eagle Creek folders also! Every family member has different color folders to hold shirts and pants. Then underwear goes in ziplocs. Our suitcases are so easy to search through, ultra organized, fit more clothes than before (within weight limits!) and everything goes out relatvely unwrinkled. Love the EA folders!!:D

Fold and use SPACE BAGS!! I had never used them until my last cruise. I had to pack for 8 days because we stayed over in Coco Beach after the cruise, and I could've packed enough for 16 days! Yes, some of the clothes were wrinkled, but put a small spray bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release in your 3-1-1 bag, if you're flying, and it will work wonders. The wrinkle release smells good too.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's because I'm in a panic mode for packing :eek: but..I see 2 different lay outs. One has pants on bottom & another has shirts on bottom for rolling. I've always used folding & large zip lock baggies & had good luck. Now we're going on a 10 day vs. 7 days & I need more clothes. [Maybe not! As someone has said, who remembers what you wore other days?] Just so I'll know..which does go in first & will be on the outside of the bundle? Must be the longer pants??

TIA for info to calm my nerves! :rolleyes:

I fold. However, I do fold in groups. For instance, I will take 3 or 4 tshirts, lay them out on top of each other, then fold them together. They wrinkle much less than way. I do the same with dress shirts, slacks, etc. I try to put socks and underwear in shoes, grooves, etc. I also use plastic dry cleaning bags. I will lay the slacks out lengthwise and put a bag where the fold is to be and then fold.

We also try to pack less and less. Lots of black slacks for me. We look nice in the dining room, but no one could ever say that I had a varied wardrobe. Weeks out from the cruise, I have a nice long bar in our closet where I will start hanging potential things from my closet that I MIGHT take. About 2 weeks out, I will glance at it every day and move at least one item back into my closet. I might not always have everything with me that I might like to have, but I have everything I NEED.

I believe I'm going to follow you this year with my packing: About 2 weeks out, I will glance at it every day and move at least one item back into my closet.

Thank you.

I am the odd one. I hang everything (shirts/pants/tops) on hangers. If the kids have t-shirts, I put 6 or so on one hanger. I will put several of my shirts on one hanger, etc. Then I lay this in the suitcase. When I get to wherever, I take out the stack of hangers. I didn't need to iron anything on our cruise a few weeks ago.:D

I have rolled and folded and everything in between, it all gets horribly wrinkled when I roll so I must be doing it wrong. The method I use works best for me and that is a combination of almost all methods.

Clothing that I care about becoming wrinkled is either hung with dry cleaner bags over each item and packed into our large rolling garment bag. Or, packed into packing folders (Eagle Creek) with layers of dry cleaner bags when using a suitcase. The Eagle creek folders can each hold up to 7 shirts or 5 pair of slacks, so you don't need a lot of them, 2 per case is my max.

Anything I don't care about being wrinkled is rolled and placed into compression bags. Those hold the swim suits, underwear, pajamas, robes etc...

Toiletries go into a toiletry kit and then placed into a 2 gallon ziploc baggie to prevent leakage onto clothing if a bottle should open. I also line the bottom and top of the suitcase with a dry cleaner bag, tucking it all in, just in case the bag on top of ours contains a liquid that has spilled.

We keep our toiletry kit packed all the time and replenish when we get home. This is the most time consuming part of packing, so over the years I've duplicated the items we use at home (razors, eye makeup tools, hairbrushes etc...) so we don't need a list or forget an item that can be easily overlooked, but crucial.

We roll. It seems like you can get more in with less wrinkles. I also pack an empty water spray bottle. Spray the clothes and pull and smooth out the clothes. Helps get the wrinkles out:p

I fold- pants and longer dresses at the bottom, tops, then stuff that creases easily. If you are worried about wrinkles, fold the piece with white tissue in the center (don't use colored tissue- the color can run).

I do look for wrinkle-proof fabrics and choose these when I cruise. We are taking less and less these days- last time we had one duffle and then 1 carry-on each- I packed almost all my clothes in the carry-on!

How do you find is the best way to get the most in your suitcase ? Rolling your clothes or folding them?[/quote? ROLL ALL THE WAY so that you can fit more in and it does not get wrinkled.

We have been on 30 plus ships, my suggestion is this and I only take 1 small suitcase for just 7 days.

I take 3 sets of capri's of my choice and 6 tops that can be mixed and matched with the capris,and 4 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of sneakers, 2 pairs of dress shoes., and 1 pair of sandles.

then I bring 1 light jacket for in the inside the cruise ship its always cold there, a shawl for my gown on captians party and one other fancy outfit for the other days..

I must take my meds in a shoe holder stays better and you can hang on the door.,

So Roll is better you can fit more.:D

How do you find is the best way to get the most in your suitcase ? Rolling your clothes or folding them?[/quote? ROLL ALL THE WAY so that you can fit more in and it does not get wrinkled.

We have been on 30 plus ships, my suggestion is this and I only take 1 small suitcase for just 7 days.

I take 3 sets of capri's of my choice and 6 tops that can be mixed and matched with the capris,and 4 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of sneakers, 2 pairs of dress shoes., and 1 pair of sandles.

then I bring 1 light jacket for in the inside the cruise ship its always cold there, a shawl for my gown on captians party and one other fancy outfit for the other days..

I must take my meds in a shoe holder stays better and you can hang on the door.,

So Roll is better you can fit more.:D

We fold most of our things. However, pants, shirts and things that we wear in the evening we put in dry cleaner bags. In fact, when my wife and I get out clothes from the cleaners for the cruise we just lay them flat in our suitcase - never a wrinkle. The plastic bags are great.

Fred

I generally pack Chico's knits for a cruise. I roll all of them to minimize wrinkling. Wear black pants and a black tank top every night for dinner with a different jacket. No One will ever notice. :)

No need to bring a gown. :eek:

They take up too much room and are sort of out of style anyway. :)

Archived