How do you pack...ROLL or FOLD

How do you find is the best way to get the most in your suitcase ? Rolling your clothes or folding them?

We fold and every cruise try to take less and less. Anything formal that gets wrinkled can be pressed in a timely and not too expensive way via the ship. Also the guy next to you at the Windjammer won't remember if you wore that shirt yesterday.

I iron everything (even casual Tshirts) right before I put them in the suitcase, and then fold them up VERY neatly. Another thing to consider is making sure that your clothes, etc. fill up your bag. If there is extra room in there, things will shift around in transit and you'll get more of that "smashed" look. On our last cruise, I opened by suitcase at your pre-cruise hotel in Miami, and NOTHING had shifted, even a little bit! Everything looked great.

You fit more by folding, HOWEVER, you wrinkle less by rolling!!:cool:

Great question! I stuff all that I can...in any way it will fit! :D

No, but seriously....I have always folded. But if rolling makes less wrinkles, then I may try that next time.

I fold. However, I do fold in groups. For instance, I will take 3 or 4 tshirts, lay them out on top of each other, then fold them together. They wrinkle much less than way. I do the same with dress shirts, slacks, etc. I try to put socks and underwear in shoes, grooves, etc. I also use plastic dry cleaning bags. I will lay the slacks out lengthwise and put a bag where the fold is to be and then fold.

We also try to pack less and less. Lots of black slacks for me. We look nice in the dining room, but no one could ever say that I had a varied wardrobe. Weeks out from the cruise, I have a nice long bar in our closet where I will start hanging potential things from my closet that I MIGHT take. About 2 weeks out, I will glance at it every day and move at least one item back into my closet. I might not always have everything with me that I might like to have, but I have everything I NEED.

I am a "folder". I also use zip lock bags for undies etc. I don't put formal clothing in my suitcase, but use a hangup bag. Last cruise we combined our hanging clothes and then only needed three bags for our cruise. I know some people can do it with less clothing, but for us this is a vast improvement over previous years.

Also when we came home I did something new. As I unpacked my bag and dh unpacked his I made a list of anything I thought we could do without and anything we needed to add for next year. I took the list and put it in the suitcase so next year when we go to pack for our next cruise I can pull out the paper and remind ourselves what we need to add and eliminate.

I ok not that i would know lol but i'm informed we use to roll now we fold with a twist - all clothes are folded then played in plastic bags which believe or not keeps them wrinkle free !!!

jj....

I use the Space Bags travel kit - your put your clothing in them, zip them up like a regular ziploc baggie, and then roll the bags to take the air out. I have packed for 4 week business trips overseas with these - and they work great. They let me organize my clothing, and protect the clothing from any of the liquids leaking or breaking. Plus - you can get TONS in the suitcase!

I used to pack my girls' camp clothes by day and outfit in ziploc bags. They work great. I am going to try that with undies and socks this trip.

Then when I unpack, I can just get pack and dump into drawer without wondering which white socks are mine and which are DH's.

I layer and roll. I will put all my long stuff in - pants with the legs hanging out each pair in a different direction length way and skirts and suit jackets (in a dry cleaner's bag) on the wide side. Then I roll tshirts and stuff small stuff. Put shoes in bags with socks stuffed in them then place all that around the inside of the suitcase. Once all is in the middle I start folding in the pants and long items. It works great.

Used to fold, and then when I travelled twice to Europe for 16 days, with only one bag allowed, I switched to rolling. Was able to get all of my clothes into one bag. The trick is to pack tightly, so that clothes don't move around. Good luck!

I've tried folding, rolling and hanging in a garment bag. All still wrinkled.

Then I heard about Pack-It Folders from Eagle Creek from someone in my last cruise's roll call. I used several of these on that cruise and they worked very well. Not only do they help minimize wrinkles by keeping things very precisely folded, the space your clothes take up is reduced once you close the folder straps over your stack of clothes. I won't go back to other methods.

You can get these at the Container Store or on-line at many travel accessory sites. You can find YouTube videos that demonstrate the techniques of this method.

Archived