How do you use your tech gadgets at sea?

How do you use your electronic gadgets at sea? (Choose all that apply.)  

169 members have voted

1. 1. How do you use your electronic gadgets at sea? (Choose all that apply.)

• I take iPod-guided shore tours.
    • I use a GPS in my rental car while in port.
    • I use my smartphone to check the weather before excursions.
    • I use a PDA to organize contact info. for new friends I make.
    • I take photos with my mobile or smartphone.
    • I use my smartphone to check e-mail and stay in touch.
    • I bring a Kindle to keep up with my reading onboard.
    • I don't bring any of that stuff -- I'm on vacation!
    • I'm old-school. I bring a journal and 35 mm camera to document my trip.
    • Other. (Please post below.)

First cruise coming up, but my tech bag really isn't much different compared to my usual travels other than taking a netbook instead of a laptop for portability.

Netbook for downloading pics and video, along with a pocket usb drive for secondary backup.

DSLR +2 lenses, strobe, CF cards coming out of my nostril.

HD Cam, SD cards coming out of my other nostril.:D

Pocket Cam, which serves two purposes, stills and water pics via underwater housing. I'm in charge of documenting the trip, can you tell?:)

iPods... shuffle... for portability, thinking of not bringing iphone just for that purpose, but having a hard time since it's so useful before and after the trip.

We did a Garmin Nuvi last year, and thinking about taking it just for kicks, but probably will get cut from the packing list at the last moment.

I don't want to bring my tripod... I don't want to bring my tripod... I don't want to bring my tripod...

I took my laptop on our cruise so I could take my pictures off my camera every night. I found this a great way to delete photos I didn't want to keep, plus I could snap to my heart's content every day! Also a great way to stay in touch at home, where my sister was housesitting for us! I also took my Ipod to help me get to sleep at night, but never even had to take it out of my suitcase!!

• 5 months later...
Thanks, I'll be trying them out on our upcoming cruise.

Here's the link to the audio tours if anyone else is interested.http://www.ricksteves.com/news/travelnews/0602/italy_downloads.htm

I would like to hear from someone who actually used these. Do they work well? Or are you limited by having to adhere to a strict itinerary/time schedule at each location?

I'm a techie, an old techie, but a techie. Having my IPhone and a regular cell phone allows me to have a vacation and to be able to do some work along the way. I don't use the IPhone 'live' outside the US.

Digital camera for sure.

Dreaming of a Kindle.

I don't carry a computer any more as the IPhone can do so much for me.

Digital cameras - regular and water camera

SD cards - pictures get uploaded on the NetBook (also doubles for reading pdf - ebooks)

Took out SIM cards off the cellphone (didn't want any roaming charge surprises)

Brought Iphone to port - Used the WIFi and VOIP to make free phone calls to the US and take pictures and upload status updates on facebook

A cell phone that only works in the US, and not very well (Tracfone)..so it's on until we get to the ship, turned off (but kept charged) and not turned on until we get off the ship and are heading home.

A digital camera with an extra chip, just in case there is an issue with the first one. There never has been, but "just in case". That's it.

1.We bring a netbook for email and blogging,

2.8g usb stick for uploading and storing photos as a precautionary back up system

3. Digital Camera with extra memory cards

4. domestic cell phone, international cell phone that is only for emergency

5 fully loaded ipod for the plane, we do our own shore tours though I do listen to podcasts prior to traveling to our destination.

6. chargers

The best part of a cruise is turning off the cell phone, locking it forever in the safe, and not having to answer a single e-mail or phone call for the entire vacation!

This is what we do also - but we do have the charger to make it ready when home or have to call a tour operator (or something similar)

MP3 - need the music!!

Kindle - my best buy!

Digital Camera - with extra cards

GPS - not yet

Laptop - haven't lugged it yet, but thinking

about a new Netbook for next time!!

Now it I could just figure out how to get a telescope onboard without having extra luggage fees!!!:D

I am definitely a fan of technology and never leave home without the "necessities". ;)

• Laptop - using wifi I can generally pick up free internet while in port. I also use it to upload photos, listen to audio books on CD-Rom, check personal email, and retrieve stored travel info (reservations, reminders, etc.)
  • MP3 - this is a must-have to block out annoying conversations on the plane and announcements in the airport.
  • Digital SLR & all the accessories - a must-have as a huge photography fan
  • Digital point & shoot camera (Back-up camera) and extra batteries.
  • GPS - we love to track our trails

I depend on an Iridium 9555 satellite phone for anywhere on earth voice and data connectivity. It also incorporates the features I need such as an integrated speakerphone, improved SMS and email messaging capabilities, and an upgraded Mini-USB data port for secure data transfers, besides it checks the ball scores for me before bed time so I can sleep soundly.

For photography, I would feel naked without my Canon EOS 1Ds Mark 3 with underwater housing, four 16 GB SD cards and of course a set of underwater strobes - hey why else dive to 300'?

My audio setup is an Ipod with a pair of Bose QuietComfort 3 Acoustic Noise canceling headphones for out and about and a Krell "KID" Model iPod dock for back in the grand suite. We ask them to remove the baby grand before we embark so there's room for real music machine.

Of course my Blackberry and Tulip E-go (Diamond Model) Laptop are never far away either, unless I'm underwater, but hey, I have an underwater skin for the laptop just in case I need some "bubble time". Sometimes I make popcorn with a hot popper heat sinked from the laptop too, so that's handy.

The kids just love to play on their Gibbs Technologies Quadski in the big wave pool whenever they can, and the wheels untuck and it drives around on deck when the pool is closed or when they need to go get a snack.

My wife used to run up and down the halls (and topside on calm days) with her four wheeled Segway Centaur, but she hit a little kid by the cantilevered hot tub on the Freedom last month, so they down sized her to a standard two wheeled Segway PTi2. Hey, I hear he was not paying attention, besides there isn't a speed limit posted up there.

Thanks also to Sir Richard Branson for my Aquada (High Speed Amphibian Vehicle) that I sometimes bring along for expeditions, but not on cruises - except for Antarctica, of course.

Last but not least I'd have my Moller M400 top side on the helipad but Neiman Marcus sold out the prototype for a mere 3.5 mil before I could grab it. Darn them, they should mass produce those - who cares if they never flew - they look so darn sleek.

;)

Well, it's been fun to tell you about all the gadgets that I might bring, were it not for a few million dollars and the premise that, for me anyways, cruising is a great opportunity to unplug and unwind. Hope you enjoyed my little prank, seriously I try to unplug but gaget withdraw is proof enough I have the addiction too!

:p

Archived