Theft problem

TBF

We recently had an excellent cruise on the Celebrity Summit. However, our experience was marred by theft of items :(from our baggage in the disembarkation terminal in San Juan. The lock was broken off the bag, ruining the zipper pulls, as well. Celebrity has denied responsibility, which is disheartening since otherwise we would have continued to cruise with that line. The cruise insurance rep for our purchased insurance seemed very helpful and they'll probably provide reimbursement, so I advise people to purchase the cruise insurance. We hadn't experienced any problems on prior cruises, and the next time we'll try to keep our bags with us at all times in the boarding and disembarkation process. As other postings have noted, the cabin staff seem exceptionally honest -- we even forgot to lock our safe a couple times & nothing was taken.

The theft could have been by anybody...other passengers, porters, who knows....and that could happen anywhere...I wouldn't punish Celebrity for it....nobody can say that it couldn't happen on your next cruise with a different cruiseline

Too true.

As soon as the bags are off the ship, they are handled by port employees, not cruise line employees. We are all used to airlines, where even at the airport, the baggage handling is done by the company you've booked with. It's different for cruises.

The OP's recommendation for travel insurance is good, and points up yet another reason it's important.

Harris

Denver, CO

I think that X was fundamentaly correct when they denied responsibility. Once that baggage leaves the ship it is handled by several people, none of whom are X employees. It is off-loaded onto a carrier by one group of individuals, then fork-lifted to the baggage claim area where it may be handled by several others before being placed in the correct location for your color-coded tags. If you choose to blame the theft on X, that is your perogative, but I doubt that you will find many here who agree with you.

Not sure how you can be certain that X employees were responsible for the unfortunate incident involving your bag. As others have already noted, once baggage cages are fork-lifted off the ship, they become the responsibility of the port authority, and unless you know for sure that your bag was damaged/pilfered between your placing it outside your cabin and it being placed in the cage while still onboard, you're making an assumption that may be way off base. No doubt this incident put a damper on an otherwise excellent cruise, but I wouldn't be so fast to put the blame on X. At the very least, your insurance is proving useful.

I have had bags stolen both from the Port and after it was put on a bus for a transfer to a hotel. I put it on the bus after claiming it but it was not in the hotel when the bags were all deposited there.

There was no help from X other than to try and contact the Bus Company which I did from the hotel.

Compensation was paid by my travel insurance and I didn't expect to be compensated by the Cruise Line as the bags had come off the ship.

I did get paid in full although a assessor did come out to my home to speak with me.

At the end of the day I bought a new wardrobe and I didn't have anything of any sentimental value or jewellery camera's etc.

Sue

I would not let it stop me from Sailing a cruiseline it is clearly not there fault. This is why we always buy RBC insurance in Canada, because in 2006, after or Connie new years cruise someone stole from our luggage in the airport.

Nikes

Ipod speakers

and some clothes from burberry and Purple Label Ralph Lauren

Well, you found the one person who disagrees with the crowd. Not about any success you would have with getting Celebrity to own up to its responsibility, but with the fact that the cruiseline should be responsible for your baggage from the time you drop it off at the terminal (as required), to be delivered to your cabin, and then again, from the time you put it outside your cabin (as required), until you are allowed to retrieve it in the terminal.

If the cruiseline won't allow you to handle your baggage the entire way, then it doesn't matter who they contract the intermediary steps to. It is and should be the responsibility of the cruiseline.

Good luck to you.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Well, you found the one person who disagrees with the crowd. Not about any success you would have with getting Celebrity to own up to its responsibility, but with the fact that the cruiseline should be responsible for your baggage from the time you drop it off at the terminal (as required), to be delivered to your cabin, and then again, from the time you put it outside your cabin (as required), until you are allowed to retrieve it in the terminal.

If the cruiseline won't allow you to handle your baggage the entire way, then it doesn't matter who they contract the intermediary steps to. It is and should be the responsibility of the cruiseline.

Good luck to you.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Contrary to what you suggest, the cruise line does not "contract" the intermediary steps to anyone. Rather, the cruise line is at the mercy of the port authority and the longshoremen employed by the port authority to whom you, as a passenger, knowingly and willingingly turn over your bags.

Good luck to you.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Couldn't agree with you more Bob. You're turning your bags over to Celebrity to be brought off the ship and returned to you in the condition you entrusted them to Celebrity. I don't care who handles them, Celebrity is responsible for their safety because that's who I booked my vacation with and that's who Celebrity tells me to turn them over to.

Couldn't agree with you more Bob. You're turning your bags over to Celebrity to be brought off the ship and returned to you in the condition you entrusted them to Celebrity. I don't care who handles them, Celebrity is responsible for their safety because that's who I booked my vacation with and that's who Celebrity tells me to turn them over to.

Cruiseline contracts have each cruiseline covered liability wise on this issue. They have covered their _ _ _ _ _ I assure you !

You can THINK the cruiseline is supposed to take good care of your luggage all you want, but really need to realize we do not live in a "Polly Anna" world where everyone takes responsibility any longer for things that happen !

Suggestion being carry it on yourself -or- make sure you have trip insurance just in case... You do have a CHOICE in how to handle your luggage being brought onboard ! :eek:

Archived