Mens Attire on Formal Nights....

For God's sake don't post that question on one of the "luxury" cruise line sites!! (ie Regency, Silversea, Seabourn) You will get answers that make CroozeAddict seem warm and friendly. I cruise one of those mentioned, but man, can those people be uptight!:eek:

Personally, I think Royal Caribbean has lost it's way.

They advertise a get out there experience but require a formal atmosphere at least one night on the cruise.

I just got off the Independence this past Saturday, and there were TWO formal nights on a SIX night cruise. That is overkill.

What gets me is that there is no consistency to their dining room policies.

On the Larger ships beware (Freedom Class), the formal night dress code policies are very much enforced. Yet on the Majesty the rules are pretty much dress how you wish (except shorts, and sleveles t-shirts) even on formal night.

If they want to keep the younger crowd filling the big ships they neeed to follow the NCL concept of no dress code.

For all of you formal diners, there is Celebrity Cruise Line, but for me I don't want to rush back from shore take a shower and have to drees up and hurry to my early dining.

And by the way, I am a Diamond Plus member.

The PRIMARY reason for formal nights is for the cruise line to sell over priced photographs.

Only a few diners are truly offended by well behaved folks wearing comfortable clothing.

For God's sake don't post that question on one of the "luxury" cruise line sites!! (ie Regency, Silversea, Seabourn) You will get answers that make CroozeAddict seem warm and friendly. I cruise one of those mentioned, but man, can those people be uptight!:eek:

Lol! Tempting, lol!!

I actually saw three guys with the "fake" tuxes while on the Independence of the Seas in February. My wife and I sort of chuckled and believe me it did not ruin our evening formal dinner. And for the record, I was not one of them, I was wearing a proper jacket and tie. On the other hand I am sure that the "Chothes Police" had their knickers in a knot!;)

I actually saw three guys with the "fake" tuxes while on the Independence of the Seas in February. My wife and I sort of chuckled and believe me it did not ruin our evening formal dinner. And for the record, I was not one of them, I was wearing a proper jacket and tie. On the other hand I am sure that the "Chothes Police" had their knickers in a knot!;)

That's good to know!

Why can people be so selfish all the time???:confused: If RCI didn't care what folks wore there would be no suggested attire at all.

Everyone's bi+ching about the scaling down of C&A benefits and at the same time figuring out ways to buck RCI's system. Maybe they're scaling down because folks are giving them the impression that they DGAF.

Nothing grates me more than to see a post that says ... "It's your vacation, wear what you want." :mad:

Nothing grates me more than to see a post that says...follow the vacation rules or else.

And why do you feel the need to preach to everyone about all the vacation rules so many Cruise Critic types seem to love so much?

Why can some people only enjoy a vacation when there are lots and lots of rules to follow?

Seems to me you may have quite a few issues of your own.

Maybe you should just worry about yourself and leave my vacation to me.

BTW I was in the US Navy for 22 years so I know all about rules and codes and all the things some of you love so much about cruising and Cruise Critic.

Thanks for saying what so many others have been afraid to voice themselves. I for one am sick and tired of all the rules, If I hear one more time that I can't wear what I want, when I want, then I'm going to go crazy. Doesn't RCCL understand what cruel and unusual treatment a suit can be on an man. ALSO, If I want to save ten lounge chairs by the pool all day, it is my right, my vacation to do as I please. I understand that other cruisers may have signed up for the cruise with a certain expectation of surroundings and procedures, but I feel I should be able to whatever I want on MY vacation.

(Warning, the post contains sarcasm)

PS. klfhngr, I don't think you have the marbles to do it anyway.

Thanks for saying what so many others have been afraid to voice themselves. I for one am sick and tired of all the rules, If I hear one more time that I can't wear what I want, when I want, then I'm going to go crazy. Doesn't RCCL understand what cruel and unusual treatment a suit can be on an man. ALSO, If I want to save ten lounge chairs by the pool all day, it is my right, my vacation to do as I please. I understand that other cruisers may have signed up for the cruise with a certain expectation of surroundings and procedures, but I feel I should be able to whatever I want on MY vacation.

You're right, I don't have the marbles.. but I do have the stones/boulders! ;)

WHY NOT just wear a nice crew neck T-shirt under a sport coat, with some nice docker slacks on formal night? I do. I guarantee you'll still look better than some of the Beverly Hillbillies that they let in.

WHY NOT skip formal nights all together and eat a nice quiet dinner in the Windjammer? I did that on my last cruise and it was much more enjoyable than the too-loud MDR.

As a member of the Nation Of Why Not, we should be asking ourselves WHY NOT at every turn.:)

Oh boy, another preacher of the vacation rules. Talk about issues:D

How could you even think about cruising without all them vacation rules. If even one person breaks the vacation rules they should be kicked right off the ship.:mad:

When I think cruise vacation I always think rules and suits and ties and turning the crew into the fashion police. Bet they love that.

All so you can mind MY business and tell ME how to act on MY vacation.

I'll bet you probably wear jeans on formal night anyway...how would I know.

BTW I wear a suit and tie but unlike you I don't have to make a big deal out of it.

WHY NOT just wear a nice crew neck T-shirt under a sport coat, with some nice docker slacks on formal night? I do. I guarantee you'll still look better than some of the Beverly Hillbillies that they let in.

WHY NOT skip formal nights all together and eat a nice quiet dinner in the Windjammer? I did that on my last cruise and it was much more enjoyable than the too-loud MDR.

As a member of the Nation Of Why Not, we should be asking ourselves WHY NOT at every turn.:)

Lol! I thought about that, a nice shirt underneath... Might opt for that on one of the nights...

We sorta enjoy formal night, who know's, we are thinking of skipping a few nights though..

Why ask why when you can have a bud dry?!

Imagine someone having fun on vacation? Unheard of!

I just hope I don't run into you after I over induldge on free drinks in the concierge lounge that outfit would simply ruin the rest of my cruise. Please disregard you own fun and think of the other passengers and how you will ruin their dinner also. Thank you.

Yea, I'd hate to RUIN someone's vacation cuz of my SHIRT?!! Imagine that!

Tom: How was your vacation?

Loser: Ah, it sucked... it was a total disaster, never again!

Tom: What happened, did the ship sink?

Loser: No, this guy and his 2 kids were wearing those tuxedo teeshirts, imagine that! They totaly ruined our vacation, and I will be writing RCI for a full refund!

Loser: No, this guy and his 2 kids were wearing those tuxedo teeshirts, imagine that! They totaly ruined our vacation, and I will be writing RCI for a full refund!

On our last cruise on the Monach there wasa guy on formal night in a Santa suit. This was in early October 2008.

Most people saw it as pretty funny.

I'm sure some of the folks out here would be beside themself, demanding to see the Captain or something.:D

Now that is funny!

Once again, another thread where certain posters are cracking me up.

BTW, klfhngr, your name drives me CRAZY because EVERY SINGLE TIME I read it (and you post a lot), my eyes see "cliffhanger" but my brain reads "Klinghoffer," lol.

To the OP, wear the suit with the t-shirts. If I was your wife I'd be a little embarrassed...if I was in the MDR and saw you and your sons walk in, I'd roll my eyes...but I'd ALSO smile and think, "That's a family with a sense of humor."

I WILL say, to any single men out there, a tie is a beautiful thing (and don't you DARE complain about how uncomfortable ties are to women who spend every single day of their life starting from around age 12 strapped up in a freakin' bra) and EVERY MAN looks HOT in a TUXEDO.

I'm just sayin'.

Archived