Mens Attire on Formal Nights....

Once again, another thread where certain posters are cracking me up.

BTW, klfhngr, your name drives me CRAZY because EVERY SINGLE TIME I read it (and you post a lot), my eyes see "cliffhanger" but my brain reads "Klinghoffer," lol.

To the OP, wear the suit with the t-shirts. If I was your wife I'd be a little embarrassed...if I was in the MDR and saw you and your sons walk in, I'd roll my eyes...but I'd ALSO smile and think, "That's a family with a sense of humor."

I WILL say, to any single men out there, a tie is a beautiful thing (and don't you DARE complain about how uncomfortable ties are to women who spend every single day of their life starting from around age 12 strapped up in a freakin' bra) and EVERY MAN looks HOT in a TUXEDO.

I'm just sayin'.

And those darned high heels....:rolleyes:

Good post!:)

Maybe I havent been on cruise critic long enough but I really fail to see how a person wearing a faux tux T under a suit is going to ruin someone elses vacation or otherwise cause people to get their panties in a bunch.

The only way someone could ruin my dinner would be if they were seated at my table and were sticking their hands in my food, throwing their food, or otherwise causing a ruckus at my table.

I for one LOVE to get dressed up for dinner on cruises however, I know everyone does not. Why miss out on the dinner because of what you choose to wear, there is a difference between wearing clothing that is disrespectful and having a little fun with YOUR vacation.

I say wear the shirts with your boys and take pictures... it will be a funny memory you have forever. If people give you funny looks, "straighten" your fake bow tie, look them square in the eyes and say "thanks for looking, I know I look spiffy tonight!"

I WILL say, to any single men out there, a tie is a beautiful thing (and don't you DARE complain about how uncomfortable ties are to women who spend every single day of their life starting from around age 12 strapped up in a freakin' bra) and EVERY MAN looks HOT in a TUXEDO.

I'm just sayin'.

Ahhh, Amybeth. You said it so well.......:D

Guess we can't pull out the panty hose weapon anymore. But how about Spanx!!!!!:)

Once again, another thread where certain posters are cracking me up.

BTW, klfhngr, your name drives me CRAZY because EVERY SINGLE TIME I read it (and you post a lot), my eyes see "cliffhanger" but my brain reads "Klinghoffer," lol.

To the OP, wear the suit with the t-shirts. If I was your wife I'd be a little embarrassed...if I was in the MDR and saw you and your sons walk in, I'd roll my eyes...but I'd ALSO smile and think, "That's a family with a sense of humor."

I'm just sayin'.

Okay Amybeth, you ditch the bra and I promise I'll ditch the tie. Fair is fair.

Bill

It's OK to have fun on formal night....try a suit or tuxedo with a Hawian shirt...or (as I saw on our last cruise) a couple...the guy wearing a pink tuxedo, and the woman wearing a pink dress, with pink shoes with pink flashing lights in them. For the Christmas cruise, we wore tuxedos with Santa-hats. Have fun!

It's OK to have fun on formal night....try a suit or tuxedo with a Hawian shirt...or (as I saw on our last cruise) a couple...the guy wearing a pink tuxedo, and the woman wearing a pink dress, with pink shoes with pink flashing lights in them. For the Christmas cruise, we wore tuxedos with Santa-hats. Have fun!

:eek:Really??? pink? with flashy lights? OMG!!!:D I think I would definately be having a chuckle at that.

Fun! What about all the vacation rules?

Well I'm tellin' the Captain:D

Okay Amybeth, you ditch the bra and I promise I'll ditch the tie. Fair is fair.

Bill

LOL. I'm sure you'd look good in a tux. But you may turn a bit green seeing me floppin' around. Then again, boys will be boys.. :D

Ahhh, Amybeth. You said it so well.......:D

Guess we can't pull out the panty hose weapon anymore. But how about Spanx!!!!!:)

Yeah I did want to mention the pantyhose but realized they're not worn too much anymore. The Spanx are pretty deadly though! (Still better than a bra!)

I"ll be wearing pants, lol! Not sure about the t-shirt!

It's cliffhanger, not the other, lol! You'd roll your eyes?! OUCH!! That would hurt, but I'm sure the smile would make up for it :) Hey, I've worn a bra before, it wasn't that bad! I became an expert at removing them though! ;)

I've tried those to D/G, keep in mind, I was 4 or 5 years old, lol!

Eldwoods, enjoyed your comment, especially about straightening fake bow, lol! Just an FYI: We've been on almost 20 cruises, on ALL of those I've either worn a suit or tux.... On one, I wore a suit with a nice shirt, no tie.. Seeing someone wear a fake tux tshirt wouldn't bother me either, I think I would crack up!

That's a fair deal pearlbill/amybeth!! I'd go for that!!! LOL!

Why can people be so selfish all the time???:confused: If RCI didn't care what folks wore there would be no suggested attire at all.

Everyone's bi+ching about the scaling down of C&A benefits and at the same time figuring out ways to buck RCI's system. Maybe they're scaling down because folks are giving them the impression that they DGAF.

Nothing grates me more than to see a post that says ... "It's your vacation, wear what you want."

On my last TransAtlantic cruise, a gentleman had the audacity to show up in the MDR on formal night wearing a skirt! Hairy legs and all!:eek:

Oh horrors, no telling how many other people's vacations that guy ruined. I'll bet some even complained that he wasn't following the dress code as stated in the Compass.;)

It was also rumored that he wasn't wearing anything under the skirt either, but I don't know if anyone actually checked.:eek:

Oh, by the way, the guy was wearing a kilt.

We were on the way to the UK.......:rolleyes:

:p

I'm a little sick of something that apparently will never end on these boards (something I've been reading since 2000!). When someone comments that people are dressed like slobs in the MDR, they're vacations aren't being "ruined." I don't think ANYONE has EVER said, "That person was a slob so I had a terrible cruise." Come on.

The point is there's a suggested attire and it's nice to look around and see everyone caring about how they look. The MDR is meant to represent a "nice restaurant."

People go to weddings dressed up. If I went to a Sat night wedding and saw someone in jeans, I'd certainly think, "Boy that's pretty weird." But it would NOT ruin the night for me!!

I'm a little sick of something that apparently will never end on these boards (something I've been reading since 2000!). When someone comments that people are dressed like slobs in the MDR, they're vacations aren't being "ruined." I don't think ANYONE has EVER said, "That person was a slob so I had a terrible cruise." Come on.

The point is there's a suggested attire and it's nice to look around and see everyone caring about how they look. The MDR is meant to represent a "nice restaurant."

People go to weddings dressed up. If I went to a Sat night wedding and saw someone in jeans, I'd certainly think, "Boy that's pretty weird." But it would NOT ruin the night for me!!

I'm convinced that the people who are so horrified by those that don't conform to the so called dress codes (or suggestion) are ticked off by the fact that they went to the trouble to dress when they could have not done so & are a little jealous. Choose whatever dress you prefer & live with it but why get upset if someone doesn't follow your lead.

I noticed most of your cruise experience has been on Carnival.:p Hmmmm

Oh no!, not that Carnival crowd again:mad:

So is RCI higher class mass market cruising?

It that because of folks like you?

So in your opinion dress guidelines is what makes a cruise line?

Or maybe the folks who are posting here are just having a little fun.

I think having fun may even be a vacation rule on Carnival:)

So tired of wearing a suit and tie, especially a tie.... would it be appropriate to wear a suit with one of those fake tuxedo shirts? This is a serious question, lol, seriously!! Me and the boys were thinking about doing this, but we don't want to 'stand out'!

There is nothing wrong with a little humor on formal night...as long as it looks nice. Woody Allen wore sneakers with his tux. Cole Han...the famous shoe manufacturer made a formal slipper with their insignia...it was still a slipper...and looked great with a tux. If I can wear my wild multi colored silk vest with my tux...I certainly think that you and yours would look fine with the faux tux shirt with a suit. I have seen it done and it is fun in good taste.

Knock yourself out and have fun.

Let the rules and regulations fanatics worry about the slobs who show up in jeans, flip-flops and T-shirts.

Dressing up and playing by the rules is a lovely thing, and so is freedom of self expression. I like to see most of the room dressed up, and I also enjoy seeing the rebels who are having fun and don't conform. It's all good if people are well behaved and bring a sense of humor.

I noticed most of your cruise experience has been on Carnival.:p Hmmmm

That's correct, and I'm not ashamed to admit it! ;) Been cruising since I was 18, so what line would you have recommended at that time, genius?!? Hmmmm, HAL?!?!!

So, here's an update for those that care, lol:

First formal night, I'll dress up for my wife, thong n all (JK! Don't want to offend 'The Formal People'!) On second formal night, wife wants us to dress up also, but she said its up to us, however, me and Da Boyz are not really up to it, hence, we're gonna pull a Superman, i.e., wear fake tuxedo t's under dress shirts and suit, when we take pics, we're gonna open our shirts!! Another thought was having a Superman shirt underneath instead of the fake tux!

Anyhow, go at it, those that object to this dispicable act!

So, here's an update for those that care, lol:

First formal night, I'll dress up for my wife, thong n all (JK! Don't want to offend 'The Formal People'!) On second formal night, wife wants us to dress up also, but she said its up to us, however, me and Da Boyz are not really up to it, hence, we're gonna pull a Superman, i.e., wear fake tuxedo t's under dress shirts and suit, when we take pics, we're gonna open our shirts!! Another thought was having a Superman shirt underneath instead of the fake tux!

Anyhow, go at it, those that object to this dispicable act!

Sounds like a plan! ;) Have fun, and be sure to post a pic for us here at CC!

Archived