Looking for information on ship sponsored tours of St. Petersburg

travelling pair

We are doing the Baltic tour September 5th from Stockholm.

Would those who have taken the ship sponsored tours of St. Petersburg give us an idea of which tours cover the most area and how did you plan for half day tours , can you do 2 in one day?

We do not want to take any of the private tours so would really like to hear from those that did the ship's tours. Many thanks in advance.

Went on Princess tours two years ago (maybe similar) and each had a lunch and English speaking guide. They were wonderful. The problem was that everybody has come to see the same things and the groups going through are frequent and large. The museum "authorities" kept the guides moving quickly. I especially felt very rushed in The Hermitage where every picture would have had it's own room in lesser museums and they were just stacked one on top of the other. I even did one room twice when I got merged with the HAL and Celebrity tours and followed the wrong lady with sign:o. It is my observation that ALL the tours in St. Petersburg were taken through in the same amount of time so that more groups could come in the front door . We also had problems because the G-8 was meeting and closing off streets. To me the biggest difference is that our guide was very tall (could see her in crowd) and she had a portable audio system that allowed us to hear her more distinctly and I don't know how you could determine that beforehand. I hope to go back for a land tour of St. Petersburg because the little taste given on the shore excursion was not enough. I WISH I HAD gone on the evening tour of The Hermitage -- people said it was absolutely amazing.

The museum "authorities" kept the guides moving quickly. I especially felt very rushed in The Hermitage where every picture would have had it's own room in lesser museums and they were just stacked one on top of the other.

With apologies to the original poster who did not want to hear about private tours, we had heard horror stories about rushed Hermitage tours, so we engaged Alla Ushakova of Alla Tours.

http://www.alla-tour.com/

Alla was able to secure us early admission into the Hermitage. Not only were we the only people in the place for the first hour, but it takes the museum such a long time to fill up that we had almost covered the entire impressionist "wing" before we saw another group. It was an experience that we still talk about. It is amazing how close you get to the art in the Hermitage......and it was no more expensive than using the ships tours.

We did St Petersburg and used Red October tours. I found two other couples on the ship who shared, and we had a tour guide and driver and a van. It was great- they had entrance to all the museums, etc. without waiting in line, and early entrance to the Hermitage. Used them for 2 1/2 days and I would highly recommend it over going on large bus with cruise line tours.

We are doing the Baltic tour September 5th from Stockholm.

Would those who have taken the ship sponsored tours of St. Petersburg give us an idea of which tours cover the most area and how did you plan for half day tours , can you do 2 in one day?

We do not want to take any of the private tours so would really like to hear from those that did the ship's tours. Many thanks in advance.

We did SPB with another cruise line but they are are basically the same tours etc...

It will depend on the tours you want to do & if the timing is right for both tours on the same day.

We had about 18 tours to choose from for 2 days.

Once you get the time schedule it will be easier to see if you can fit 2 tours into 1 day ...it is usually easier just to do an all-day tour.

Some sites are far from the ship or central area of SPB ...even in SPB they can be spread out.

Lyn

I booked late and was not comfortable trying to find a group outside of the ship-sponsored tours and was very pleased with Regatta's offerings.

For some reason it isn't advertised but you can almost get the best of both worlds for a slightly higher charge. On four of the tours there is an option to upgrade to "premium," which is what I did. It cost $30 extra per tour and put me in a group of between 10 and 16 people in a nice van rather than a big tour bus. We got the private tour experience while doing the ships' tours and I can't say enough about how great they were.

How you do the tours is up to you but I can offer a bit of advice from my personal perspective. Depending on when you travel, you could get very, very hot during the day since most of these places have no air conditioning. I would take half-day tours, the ones I took were fulfilling and gave great overviews without too much fatigue.

The Premium options also arrived at Petersberg and the Hermitage early but really, you can't avoid the crowds. It's hot and crowded and we were there when there were a lot fo cruise ships (we figured 10,000 passengers and crew) and it was Navy Day so a lot of visitors came via land or from other Baltic cities for the celebrations.

For many, the Night of Russian Ballet had been anticipated with great joy. It was the one night that cruise guests really, really dressed up. I chose to do the Night of Russian Song and Dance which was folk music rather than ballet. A lot of the people with whom I spoke the next day had conked out during the ballet. No one slept through the exuberant dancing and singing of the folklore show. We were completely energized. (This was not one of the van trips, by the way.) I highly, highly recommend it.

Regatta has a unique arrangement with Catherine's Palace in that on one evening it is opened for guests of Regatta only. This is called Grand Imperial Evening of the Tzars. It's a pricey excursion but well worth it. One wing of the Palace is available for private viewing, including the incredible Amber Room. There's a dance exhibit in the main hall (accompnied by Champagne), which continues out into the parklike grounds, then a walk through a museum of horse-drawn carriages of all types. It finishes with a long and hearty meal at a restaurant in the town of Pushkin -wine and vodka included- which also has a small folklore show.

The one tour that was met with loud complaints was the metro and shopping... avoid it. Do the little boat tour on the Neva instead.

I thought that the oversight would be stifling but during the times that we were shopping or had free time we were really fine... the leash wasn't nearly as short as I thought it would be.

Oh man, talking about it is making me want to go back...

Jana

I was disappointed in the Regatta tours in St Petersburg last year. I was happy with their Moscow tour, but it was quite expensive and a very long day.

I was very happy with Red October's tour from Warnemunde to Berlin. We spent much less time on the road with a fast Mercedes van instead of the slow uncomfortable bus used by Regatta.

I was disappointed in the Regatta tours in St Petersburg last year. I was happy with their Moscow tour, but it was quite expensive and a very long day.

I was very happy with Red October's tour from Warnemunde to Berlin. We spent much less time on the road with a fast Mercedes van instead of the slow uncomfortable bus used by Regatta.

We will be sailing on the Regatta from Dover on 15th June and considering the tour to Moscow offered by the ship.

Is this tour always offered on Day 2 of the stopover in St Petersburg? and if so, do others who have taken the tour to Moscow undertake a full day tour on Day 3?

I am thinking we may feel inclined to sleep in and enjoy a late breakfast after such a long day previously.

Thanks to all who replied. Thank you Jana especially, this information is what I was wanting. I will look into the premium that sounds perfect. Now we have to make our decisions.Following your advice I think we will avoid the ballet, this will make the husbands happy, they will be much more comfortable with the Russian dance.!! :)

I just attempted to edit my earlier post ^^^ to add this question, but unfortunately was unable to do so.

.....Regatta has a unique arrangement with Catherine's Palace in that on one evening it is opened for guests of Regatta only. This is called Grand Imperial Evening of the Tzars. It's a pricey excursion but well worth it. One wing of the Palace is available for private viewing, including the incredible Amber Room. There's a dance exhibit in the main hall (accompnied by Champagne), which continues out into the parklike grounds, then a walk through a museum of horse-drawn carriages of all types. It finishes with a long and hearty meal at a restaurant in the town of Pushkin -wine and vodka included- which also has a small folklore show.......

Jana

Jana, can you advise what time approximately ^^this tour departed from the ship?

The tour to Moscow needs to be on the second day in St Petersburg, due to the length of time required for the tour.

We took 2 half day tours on the third day. Unfortunately for us the second day was the day where the Hermitage tours were offered. I had beento the Hermitage and Moscow before. I knew that I would enjoy the Moscow trip more than the Hermitage. The crowds in the Hermitage can be quite oppressive.

We went to St Catherine's Palace on the first day. We went to Peterhof on the morning of the third day. You need to go to St Catherine's Palace and Peterhof early in the morning to beat the general admission crowds.

The Grand Imperial Evening of the Tzars left at about 6-ish as I recall. It took about 45 minutes to get to Pushkin. There were about four buses that went on this journey; Scandinavian Splendors is Oceania's signature itinerary and this evening out is its signature excursion.

We were really, really lucky in the guide we had on our bus. She was funny and her English was excellent (she is an English teacher). The trip out to Pushkin alone was wonderful in that we went through the iconic part of St. Petersberg with the Empire-era buildings and then through the part of town that had the squat, square featureless Stalin-era architecture, and then near the edge of town the contemporary architecture of McDonalds and 24-hour big-box stores and gas stations. She pointed out features and statuaries along the way; then we got to the bucolic countryside and she gave us a history of Pushkin (the poet and the community) and it made the drive out there feel less like a cattle call with all the people and more like a really enjoyable excursion before we even arrived.

My friend onboard has plantar fascitis and was worried about standing or walking too long. She decided not to do it. I have mobility issues too but nothing would keep me away, and it really wasn't bad at all. The walk through the upper level was fine, it wasn't crowded because only Regatta guests were there. The walk across the lawn to the carriage museum was very short. Then it was back to the buses to get to the restaurant.

The trip home was at around 11pm. I was there in the last week of July and it was just about twighlight then. Everyone was full so the bus was kind of quiet but the guide kept us laughing. She told us how nice the weather was during our visit and that it's unusual. She said "In St. Petersberg we spend nine months anticipating summer and three months disappointed." (She also said "Russian men say that there is no such thing as an ugly woman... just not enough vodka.")

catherines.jpg

minuet on grounds.jpg

amberroomdetail.jpg

The Russian folk show was bar none the best excursion (non-active) I have ever, ever taken in my life. I had to pay for the privilege of using my camera (~$4 if I recall) but it was worth it. I made a couple of (not very professional) Youtube videos. They make me happy every time I see them!

Jana

We spent three days in St. petersburg with Seabourn. While we use the ships shore excursions several of our fellow passengers had booked with Red October and they were very, very happy with their service. Also that Evening with the Tsar's at Catherine's Palace is not a Oceania exclusive as Seabourn offered the same exact excursion. To be frank i found the whole experience rather "Contrived" . It is a performance and standing around a large room watching a woman dressed as Catherine welcome us with much bowing and scraping of the "courtiers" did not do a lot for me. I also felt that the group dinner at a nearby restaurant was definitely medicore as far as the food went. The palace itself was absolutely amazing and worth the tour but I would not spend the extra for this "special evening"

Also that Evening with the Tsar's at Catherine's Palace is not a Oceania exclusive as Seabourn offered the same exact excursion.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I feel like such a chump!

Well, at least it's another high-end line offering the tour, and at least on the night we were there it was exclusive to Regatta guests.

I do wonder now, though, how many others get this "exclusive" privilege?

(Yes, it was very contrived. No, the food was not gourmet, certainly not of the quality that is served on either Oceania or Seabourn ships; it was typical banquet fare. But having part of the palace open without the crowds? Priceless.)

Jana

Jana, Don't feel bad. Until I read your post I thought that excursion was exclusive to Seabourn. I think they only book one Cruise ship tour group per night but want to bet it is offered on Silverseas and Regent and maybe Crystal???

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I feel like such a chump!

Well, at least it's another high-end line offering the tour, and at least on the night we were there it was exclusive to Regatta guests.

Jana

It was offered on our Marco Polo cruise in 2003

Lyn

We visited St Petersburg on the Marco Polo in 2002. I'm certain the tour experience is about the same. The plus with Oceania is a lot of their Baltic cruises give you three days in St Petersburg. We only had two.

The Evening with the Tsars was not offered in 2002, however a friend visited St Petersburg on a land trip in 2004. He considered the night a highlight of his trip.

We were able to book an intensive Hermitage tour with the Marco Polo which brought us to the musuem about an hour before it opened. The tour lasted about six hours and included the Gold Room. We had a bit of a break about three hours into the tour and were amazed at the crowds. The HAL and Princess tours were just arriving. The guide had been taking us into rooms that were empty. When I was reviewing my pictures using the Hermitage Guide Book I had bought, I discovered that we had visited many of the high lights of the Hermitage. We had not felt rushed at all.

Study the times for the tours. The Hermitage day was the only day that we were unable to do a morning and afternoon tour.

Also, a bit of a caveat regarding the Folkloric Evening. We have attended many folk dancing presentations since we are fans of the genre. The Folkloric Evening IS good if you have not attended any Russian/Polish/Slavic folkdance performances. If you are fan, you will be disappointed.

Jana, Don't feel bad. Until I read your post I thought that excursion was exclusive to Seabourn. I think they only book one Cruise ship tour group per night but want to bet it is offered on Silverseas and Regent and maybe Crystal???

It was offered on our Marco Polo cruise in 2003

Lyn

!!SNIFF!! I'm soooo gullible!

Also, a bit of a caveat regarding the Folkloric Evening. We have attended many folk dancing presentations since we are fans of the genre. The Folkloric Evening IS good if you have not attended any Russian/Polish/Slavic folkdance performances. If you are fan, you will be disappointed.

I've been to Moiseyev several times and Barynya once. That doesn't make me an expert in the genre and while I would agree that it was a simple show with little staging and no scenery, I thought it was fantastic, fabulous. It just might be because I grew up during the Cold War and everything about just being in Russia made me want to pinch myself.

Jana

It just might be because I grew up during the Cold War and everything about just being in Russia made me want to pinch myself.

Jana

My exact thoughts when we cruised to St. Petersburg. I kept telling my wife, "Can you believe we are in Russia? It is so different from what I have always been taught"

My exact thoughts when we cruised to St. Petersburg. I kept telling my wife, "Can you believe we are in Russia? It is so different from what I have always been taught"

I'm glad you understand! :)

Jana

We used Red October-they were fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!! We hired them for 2 days. We were able to cut through all the lines. We saw more with them then we would have if we used the cruise tours--plus we did not have a bus load of people. You can customize your tour-we were able to stop at where every we wanted. We picked up the most fabulous caviar and had it in our cabin when we got back-you must do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure that if you go on the Roll Call you will be able to pick up some other couples to share the expenses.

We used Red October-they were fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!! We hired them for 2 days. We were able to cut through all the lines. We saw more with them then we would have if we used the cruise tours--plus we did not have a bus load of people. You can customize your tour-we were able to stop at where every we wanted. We picked up the most fabulous caviar and had it in our cabin when we got back-you must do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure that if you go on the Roll Call you will be able to pick up some other couples to share the expenses.

Hmm. Or not. Our roll call is curiously inactive.

Yes, we were amazed that we were in Russia. Yes, we enoyed St Petersburg. Yes, it was wonderful to see Hermitage objects in situ rather than on a museum tour of the US (where we had previously seen many objects).

We had read on the various Message Boards that the Folkloric Show was a "not to be missed." I imagine this built our expectations too high. I would encourage anyone to attend it as long as they recognize it is NOT of the caliber of Moiseyev or of the performances that used to be featured on the Ed Sullivan Show (another reference to the Cold War era).

ps

Jana,

Our friend who attended the show on a land tour was quite proud that the Evening with the Tsars was offered to his group because it was a cultural exchange group. We didn't burst his bubble. Hey, it's good marketing on the part of the St Petersburg organization that produces the evening. We would have attended if it had been offered on our cruise.

Hawkeye, let me assure you the ships tours are fantastic. We took the precruise tour in Beijing and it was the best tour we ever took with the ship. In Russia we just decided we did not want to tour with as many people. We are still planning the strenuous 3 day tour with Alla.

Archived