HELP! Southeast

judyf

I just went online to check on my fklight in March on Southeast Airlines and just found out it has ceased operations! Urg! I thought I had this section of the cruise out of the way.

Can anyone tell me what I should do nect. Of curse it was paid in full.

Help!

Wow, I had never even heard of that airline!!! From the sounds of it on their website, you are going to have to dispute this with your credit card company to get your money back... did you purchase trip insurance? If so, default by the airline IS covered and you will be reimbursed... otherwise, I would call your credit card company tomorrow and discuss this with them... good luck!

Since they don't codeshare with another airline there is no chance that another airline will pick up your flight. Your best bet is to get with your credit card company about a possible refund. In the meantime I guess it is back to the drawing board and booking another flight. I am sorry for this terrible set of circumstances and hope it all ends well.

I just called AMEX and they took the charge off already. Should be no problem. I did purchase trip insurance also.

I just flew with them 11/5 to 11/11 to WDW.

Now where do I start??? Urg. We are flying the weekend before Easter and our ship returns on Easter Sunday. That's why I wanted to get the air booked early.

Any tips on how to find cheap airfare from Albany or Newbrugh NY to Ft. Lauderdale?

Thanks

Just do a search on Travelocity or one of the other travel sites. You can also search on http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego and see what is available. Also, before you book your air, find out about the company and what financial state they are in... I generally pay more for air, but I also try to book with airlines that are not in financial trouble or on the verge of bankruptcy... good luck!

Does anyone know what airlines to stay away from? I'm looking at Northwest, US Air and Delta right now. With all prices close to or over $300 pp.

Thanks for any tips.

any of those should be fine...USAir has been in the news a lot, but I am one that thinks they'll make it...I think GE has just made a propoasl that would keep them out of trouble...NW and Delta will be around for a while, at least until after Easter anyway :)

I just used cheap tickets for airfare to FLL for our Easter cruise got USair down and Airtran back to/from PHL. I had originally booked airfare with the cruiseline but this way I saved about $300. and was assured of non-stop flights. If you find yourself going crazy looking for flights just keep in mind the cruiseline will always accept the add on for airfare and the price will be about $405 per person.

Independence has been talking Bankruptcy, so yes, you might be safe, but why bother and chance it? If I'm looking for a flight in April, I don't know if I want to book with an airline that could be bankrupt... you still have to go through the hassle, just MHO, but it's not worth it to me...

Personally I would not book a ticket on US Airways into the new year until after they announce some sort of bailout - As it currently stands they do not have funds to operate much past January and they will have to liquidate, the courts will not grant bankrupcy protection under chapter 11 again.

Independance Air (i-Air) is also in trouble, but they've yet to seek Chapter 11 protection so even if they do declare bankrupcy they'll likely be flying for at least another 3-4 months.

Airfare searches are a bit of a pain. Start with Travelocity, Orbitz and Expedia: They have access to different rates so sometimes one is lower than the others. Next comes the low fare carriers. You normally have to check fares on their sites directly as they are not listed on other booking agents. Southwest (iflyswa.com) and JetBlue(jetblue.com) are both financially sound, and everyone loves Jetblue! Next, try qixo.com which compares the results of doing multiple searches on multiple sites and returns the results. Sidestep.com is similar but requires you to install software on your computer.

Also, you might want to open up your search to nearby airports like Albany and Rochester at one end and Miami and West Palm Beach on the other. Only do west palm if you can get a really good fare to make up for the car rental to Miami. Both Orbitz and Travelocity allow you to open up your search to airports within 70 miles of a selected departure or arrival airport, expedia lets you refine your search by selecting nearby airports.

One last thing on insurance, alot of policies will not cover specific airlines, especially those in bankrupcy protection when you buy the ticket, so read you policy fineprint carefully before you buy!

Did a quick fare check for you, here's the best I could do:

$370-390 Southwest or Delta, ALB to FLL, 3/18 - 3/27

$201, I-Air, ALB to West Palm Beach, 3/18 - 3/28

I assumed you would fly in the day before the cruise. Albany in March with a connection somewhere? You're insane if you don't! Coming back I-Air does have one flight back on 3/27 but realistically you're not going to make it at 12:15.

Sorry, you're just flying on expensive dates!

My wife had Southeast tickets for her and the kids to go to Florida in February. The credit card company credited her and didn't seem to think it was a problem.

Southeast never said they were bankrupt, they just ceased operations. So maybe the quit before they dug themselves a financial hole and were able to pay off their creditors and ticket holders.

They were flying out of Newburgh, NY too JudyF. She had to switch to a flight out of Newark on another airline. Not as convenient, it cuts 1 day off the vacation, and $40 more per person than the Southeast rates, but at least they'll still be able to go. I'll just have to drive them down from Albany and pick them up a week later.

Try Jet Blue - they fly to Ft. Laudferdale and are fairly inexpensive.

I just called AMEX and they took the charge off already. Should be no problem. I did purchase trip insurance also.

I just flew with them 11/5 to 11/11 to WDW.

Now where do I start??? Urg. We are flying the weekend before Easter and our ship returns on Easter Sunday. That's why I wanted to get the air booked early.

Any tips on how to find cheap airfare from Albany or Newbrugh NY to Ft. Lauderdale?

Thanks

Sorry to hear about that....Your credit card company should provide a refund. Some airlines are offering the opportunity for those with Southeast tickets to standby for $50 each way. I know Airtran is offering this option, but I'm not sure if its extended to march. A tip for the future....ALWAYS ask the airline you choose if they have ticketing agreements with other airlines. This means they can offer you a seat on another carrier if there is a delay or cancellation. In addition if the airline ceases operations, others are required by law to offer options to passengers such as waiving the advance purchase requirements for the lowest fare or offering a standby option. Airlines without ticketing agreements (southeast) have no recourse when unfortunate events take place. Good luck.

United Airlines, US Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, and ATA are currently in bankruptcy. Your call whether you want to risk going with another airline in that situation.

Delta is repeatedly rumored to be on the verge of entering Chapter 11. So far with their employee concessions they've been able to avoid it.

Does anyone know what airlines to stay away from? I'm looking at Northwest, US Air and Delta right now. With all prices close to or over $300 pp.

Thanks for any tips.

check with Independence Air. New airline, used to fly for United all the time for their regional flights. They are having a few problems, but they code share still with United, so you will be safe there.

http://www.flyi.com

Just tried Independence and they don't fly into Ft. Lauderdale. That's where our ship leaves from. They do fly out of Albany. Is West Palm Beacg close enough? Any other airports close enough to FLL? After reading all the posts I don't even know if I should look at them now.

To the poster whose wife had Southeast tickets, what airline did you book with out of Newark. I can leave from 3 airport Newburgh, ALbany or Newark, I really don't want to drive into NYC for JFK or LGA. I can't believe you already rebooked your flight. Way to go.

Thanks for all the tips, I guess I beeter get busy. I need a day off from work just to book air. LOL

I plan to fly down a day early and most likely won't leave till the Monday 3/28 after Easter.

Thanks!!!

Thanks

how awful for all of you. if you can use them my, family has always been very happy with air-tran and they go to florida via atlanta. they are very reasonable in price for tickets. i hope this helps some of you and all of you get to have a wonderful cruise after all.

Hi Judy,

I didn't read all the posts, but my travel agent seems to like Independence Air. I live in your area and would prefer to leave from Stewart but I don't want to have to connect, so I am probably going to either go from JFK or take the train to FL...more power to me with my two boys-lol I read about Southeast today, I am glad you got your money back!

Thanks

Did a quick fare check for you, here's the best I could do:

$370-390 Southwest or Delta, ALB to FLL, 3/18 - 3/27

$201, I-Air, ALB to West Palm Beach, 3/18 - 3/28

I assumed you would fly in the day before the cruise. Albany in March with a connection somewhere? You're insane if you don't! Coming back I-Air does have one flight back on 3/27 but realistically you're not going to make it at 12:15.

Sorry, you're just flying on expensive dates!

Thanks to everyone for the info. I went and booked Independance Air and got a good deal for that week. Good times and days, 3/18 and 3/18, just now we are flying into West Palm Beach and need to transfer to Ft. Lauderdale and it has a connection! oh well we got tickets. Good thing is they are cheaper at $402.66 two R/T tickets then I was paying with Southeast but that flight was direct and to Ft. Lauderdale.so the money we save we pay for the transfers or rental car.

I would rather have a connection then go to the NYC airports, parking fees alone will save me money.

Any tips on how to get from West Palm Beach airport to the Port??

Thanks

I would be careful booking Usair. I have enough frequent flier points for a free ticket but booked with Southwest instead for our cruise in January. I didn't want to be without transportion to Florida at the last minute. We took an "emergency" trip to Las Vegas last month to use some of the points we accumulated. Weeks ago I read Usair had enough money to get them into January. I did recently hear of a plan they have with GE to "save" them but why take a chance of missing the ship...

To the poster whose wife had Southeast tickets, what airline did you book with out of Newark. I can leave from 3 airport Newburgh, ALbany or Newark, I really don't want to drive into NYC for JFK or LGA. I can't believe you already rebooked your flight. Way to go.

That didn't work out in the long run. She booked roundtrip from Newark on Orbitz. It was a multiple carriers trip, with AirTran on the way down and Continental on the way back.

But she fortunately double checked her reservation in the afternoon, and saw only the Continental part was listed, with no trip down. After much waiting she finally talked to someone at Orbitz who said AirTran did not confirm her reservations so they refunded her the entire trip.

I gather most of the big airlines are automatically confirmed on Orbitz, as you can get your e-tickets right away. But AirTran (and I think perhaps Continental too) has an additional conformation step that AirTran didn't follow through on.

By this time the rates on Orbitz were higher and the availablility was much less than in the morning. But they were still listing AirTran flights (not that she would have taken them after the first problem). When you clicked "Book it" however you got a message that the tickets on AirTran were unavailable due to high demand.

If the tickets are unavailable, then why does it continue to show up?

In the end she got tickets on Independance air out of Newburgh for the same price as the failed Orbitz attempt, which was only $25 more per person than she had on Southeast.

Independence flies out of Albany too, which would have been much more convenient, but for some reason the prices were twice as much.

Compared to Orbitz, the good news is it's a much shorter drive to Newburgh than it would have been to Newark. The bad news is their retrun flight is at 6 AM so they'll have to get up in the middle of the night to make it.

Eventually it all worked out OK though.

I'm wondering how many people who are holding Southeast tickets never even heard the news that they were ceasing operations. We were never notified and didn't hear it on the news. We only found out because my wife happened to mention she was flying with them to a friend a few days ago, and the friend heard it on the news.

So if you never found out, you'd probably think you were fine until the day of you flight when you checked to find out if your flight was on time. Then you'd find out there was no flight, and you'd suddenly be in a heap of trouble.:eek:

Archived