Island Princess Review

jeanscruise

Island Princess Review

Panama Canal: Aruba, Cartagena, Panama Canal, Costa Rica, Jamaica (Roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale)

March 14th-24th

This was our second cruise on Princess and 6th overall. (NCL to the Bahamas early 90’s; Celebrity Summit to Alaska 2004; Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean 2005, Carnival Legend to Southern Caribbean 2006; Star Princess to Alaska 2008)

Pre Cruise: We stayed at the Best Western in Hallandale Beach. It wasn’t the best of areas, but the hotel itself was very clean and comfortable, and the service was good.

Embarkation: Embarkation was absolutely amazing! We arrived at the pier at about 11AM, walked right in, through security, and up the elevator. Then it was about a 15 minute wait in the chairs before we checked in and walked on the ship. We were eating lunch in Horizon Court before noon. This was the fastest and easiest embarkation we’ve ever had on any cruise.

Dining: The first night we ate in the Bordeaux dining room. We were at a table for two but very close to another table for two, and we met a nice couple from Arizona who we saw from time to time throughout the cruise. Service was very good. Food was also good. We were not really in a dress-up kind of mood on this cruise, and the rest of our meals were in Horizon Court. There never seemed to be too much of a line when we went, which was great. We both enjoyed the buffets very much. The quality and variety did decline a little on the last two nights, but by that time we’d already eaten enough to last us for a month!

Cabin: We were on Aloha Deck (A626), our first uncovered balcony room. I knew it was an uncovered balcony, so that was no surprise, and it wasn’t bad, but next time we’re going back to covered. Our cabin steward was Cirilo. He was wonderful.

Ports: We only did one Princess organized tour in Costa Rica, the jitney ride through the rainforest and a visit to the banana plantation. It was a good tour, worth the money. We stayed on the ship in Panama and enjoyed the roundtrip through the locks, an amazing experience. In Aruba, we got off the ship and strolled along the coast, seeing some huge iguanas hanging around on the rocks. Very cool! We also did a little walking around town. We went in on a cab in Cartagena with another couple and visited the monastery, the fort, and Old Town. In Ocho Rios, we walked around town and to the flea markets. We also stopped by Margaritaville, but didn’t “waste away” with only one beer each. <g> We enjoyed all of the ports visited. Oh, and the Princess guest lecturer, Rusty Wislon, did a fantastic job of preparing us for each port.

Entertainment: I enjoyed all the shows, especially the Princess singers and dancers. I also liked both of the comedians, although one of them, Billy Vader (?), did seem a little…tired! I went to two of the art auctions on the ship. Free champagne and a little art education, you can’t beat it. <g>

All in all, it was a great cruise!

If you don't stay on while going thru the locks.. what would you do?

Princess has some shore excursions that start after you have entered the lake through the Arlantic side locks. For example, one excursion puts you on a smaller boat that goes the rest of the way through the canal followed by land transportation back to the ship in Cristobal.

Thanks for a great review. We are doing this cruise next year so I am gathering information. If you don't stay on while going thru the locks.. what would you do?

We did the boat ride excursion on our trip (we were the 03/24/ to 04/03 Island Princess) and it was AWESOME!!!

You tender off in Gatun Lake. Take a 1 hour Bus ride to Gamboa then transfer to a 400 passenger ferry (we only had 120 people on it). They provide a "lunch" of sorts - that wasn't great - just as a warning (our tour left at 8:40 AM - so eat a good breakfast while going through the first set of locks - we have food allergy issues, so "outside" food is always an issue - but most ate it OK - we just had cookies and pre-packaged foods that I always bring for us). The ferry goes all the way through the Pedro Miguel and Miraflores locks to the Pacific. You debark in Balboa and bus back to Cristobal.

The most awesome "shore" excursion I have taken in 36 cruises! Highly, highly, recommended. Neither of us still have words adequate enough to describe the adventure. Truly amazing.

And we also did the small boat to the Pacific and agree that it was one of the best excursions of any cruise!

Is this a Princess excursion? Where do you pick it up at? How much does it cost?

I checked the princess website for excursion but can't find it listed anywhere. thanks

Is this a Princess excursion? Where do you pick it up at? How much does it cost?

I checked the princess website for excursion but can't find it listed anywhere. thanks

This is through Princess (no other tours can be done tendering off in Gatun Lake). I think it was around $169 or $179 pp. Well worth every cent. DH hasn't stopped talking about it (neither have I). I don't recall the exact name - somthing like Panama Canal by Boat (it's a 7 - 9 hour excursion).

Thanks Frick & Frack. I will be looking for this for next April.

Please do. After the tons of excursions I've done (and "we've" done - since DH only has 13 cruises) - and I've been on lots of really great excursions - this particular one is the memory of a lifetime. My parents are coming here today for Easter and they are just bouncing waiting to see the video I took of the ferry/boat ride. They never got to do it - and now health prohibits it for them (no longer can get on tenders easily and a long day is a big no-no for them). DH did fine - even with his breathing issues. This type of excursion creates exactly the type of memory we want for times when we may no longer be able to cruise.

Have a wonderful day.

Archived