If I were ti cruise Carnival which ship would I take?

Savoia

If you go with an open mind, you will be very pleasantly surprised. I adored the Destiny but that was a while ago. I did an inspection on the Legend and found it very nice. I am a bit snobbish since sailing on Princess ships but I think I Carnival can compete evenly with RCCL.

Carnival is horrible, stay far, far away! Your eyes may be blinded by the horrible decor, heck you will be lucky to make it off alive. People may trap you in the hallways and throw liquor down your throat, or you may trip over all the sick drunk people strewn all over the ship. The food will make you horribly sick, to the point you may have to be evacuated. Again, I warn you...stay away!!!!

Have you ever cruised Carnival??? I am guessing not!

Have you ever cruised Carnival??? I am guessing not!

Ummm, Spencer, this was all done in sarcasm :rolleyes:... I am a huge Carnival fan, its my cruiseline of choice. I just figure I should warn the OP away because obviously she won't be pleased on Carnival...she has already made up her mind.

Actually you I have not decided either way..my impression is that Carnival is more hype and PR than they are on delivering the very best product they can. Then again I am not picking this trip and my other half says I should at least try it. My question was is there a more sedate Carnival vessel and I now find questioning Carnival seems to be a huge no no on this board. So I will stick to the facts..I'd like to find a Carnival ship where I will be comfortable since I will be travelling on one.

Actually you I have not decided either way..my impression is that Carnival is more hype and PR than they are on delivering the very best product they can. Then again I am not picking this trip and my other half says I should at least try it. My question was is there a more sedate Carnival vessel and I now find questioning Carnival seems to be a huge no no on this board. So I will stick to the facts..I'd like to find a Carnival ship where I will be comfortable since I will be travelling on one.

Savoia, you came on here and your question was followed with an insult, how are we supposed to take you? Besides, we have to have a little fun with it :p

Okay, if you are serious I can give you a serious answer. Choose a 7 day cruise for starters, on one of the newer ships. It seems shorter, cheaper ones are a little more livelier, although nothing like what you are probably imagining. I would suggest the Glory, Liberty, freedom or the new Dream that is debuting later this year. I think they are pretty "sedate" or at least the ones I have been on have been.

Carnival does deliver a great product... comfy rooms, great food and service. I would put them in line with RCCL if that gives you a comparison? Cunard?? NO WAY, but then again, you pay a lot more for a Cunard sailing (remember they don't "cruise")

I think you will be pleasantly surprised, but you need to go in with a good attitude and not pre-judge.

Will you be bringing your own sheets on your upcoming cruise?

Well if I were to pick one for you.....I would choose the Holiday. And where will you be flying from? Because I would highly reccomend Carnival airfare......

Carnival does deliver a great product... comfy rooms, great food and service. I would put them in line with RCCL if that gives you a comparison? Cunard?? NO WAY, but then again, you pay a lot more for a Cunard sailing (remember they don't "cruise")

I think you will be pleasantly surprised, but you need to go in with a good attitude and not pre-judge.

Funny you mention the Glory having been on Carnival's page and looking at the Glory's profile the ship does look good (that statement is a reflection of my going in a positive attitude). I have seen the renderings for the Dream and perhaps that might be an alternative as well....a maiden voyage is not something I travel on as these are usually cruises that iron out all the mechanical bugs.

I've avoided Carnival for a long time..it will take some time to get into thinking differently.

Just be careful and don't trip one of the waiters with the flaming baked alaska on their head :cool::p I would hate to see it go to waste. But what do we care...we have no class...we would just eat the baked alaska off the floor with our Wal-mart bought plastic cutlery ;)

I'm totally LOL!!! HA! Perfect response!

Don't forget the crystal goblets, ha ha

I'll be packing my own to be sure! :p

I'm assuming there will be no lack of booze (LOL). I'll brace myself for the $11.95 cocktail in my "Hairy Chest Winner" contest glass.....

and for all you Carnival diehards..I AM KIDDING..:D

Funny you mention the Glory having been on Carnival's page and looking at the Glory's profile the ship does look good (that statement is a reflection of my going in a positive attitude). I have seen the renderings for the Dream and perhaps that might be an alternative as well....a maiden voyage is not something I travel on as these are usually cruises that iron out all the mechanical bugs.

I've avoided Carnival for a long time..it will take some time to get into thinking differently.

I found the Glory to be pretty sedate, even in decor. More so than some of the other ships. The service we had last summer was actually some of the best I have experienced out of more than a dozen cruises (not just Carnival)

The Dream will first sail European cruises before making its way to Florida, so hopefully they will iron out all of the bugs on these cruises. I think the Dream looks awesome and can't wait to try it out.

You will find there is a lot of fun on this board and when someone makes a remark that is just off the wall (baked alaska on the head?) well it just gives us new material to use!!

It sounds like your travel companion is wanting you to go, try something new, and enjoy it. Give it a chance, I think you'll be surprised.

I'll be packing my own to be sure! :p

I'm assuming there will be no lack of booze (LOL). I'll brace myself for the $11.95 cocktail in my "Hairy Chest Winner" contest glass.....

and for all you Carnival diehards..I AM KIDDING..:D

Nah you don't have to pay $11.95, just smuggle your own alcohol on. :p It's cheaper that way!! Sorry there is no "hairy chest winner" glass, but if you try really hard you may win a 24 Karat Plastic ship on a stick, ha ha

I found the Glory to be pretty sedate, even in decor. More so than some of the other ships. The service we had last summer was actually some of the best I have experienced out of more than a dozen cruises (not just Carnival)

The Dream will first sail European cruises before making its way to Florida, so hopefully they will iron out all of the bugs on these cruises. I think the Dream looks awesome and can't wait to try it out.

You will find their is a lot of fun on this board and when someone makes a remark that is just off the wall (baked alaska on the head?) well it just gives us new material to use!!

It sounds like your travel companion is wanting you to go, try something new, and enjoy it. Give it a chance, I think you'll be surprised.

The Dream does look nice..except the main lobby..the rendering made me squint..too much red! Now the Baked Alaska thing was a photo from Carnival I saw..I didn't make that up!

My folks have a house near @ 30mns from Port Canaveral so that remains a possibility. Our next cruise is next month with Oceania which I am looking forward to..

The Dream does look nice..except the main lobby..the rendering made me squint..too much red! Now the Baked Alaska thing was a photo from Carnival I saw..I didn't make that up!

My folks have a house near @ 30mns from Port Canaveral so that remains a possibility. Our next cruise is next month with Oceania which I am looking forward to..

What is going on with this quote feature? Its all messed up...

Anyway, please know that Carnival is going to be nothing like the Oceania. Well, you already know that. But Carnival gives a great product for the money, and it's FUN!

Okay I will just say I have never seen Baked Alaska on the head. Dancing.. yes, hats..yes..but not BA. I just thought that was way too funny!!

Now, don't forget your fine Italian sheets. But you may have to tip the steward more to change and launder them every day for you. Yes, someone did ask about this...LOL

I am of a similar opinion as Irishlinny...Carnival may not be your cup of tea...but I love it. Yes, their decor is intentionally over-the-top, garish even. That is their way of making our cruise vacation a fantasy environment. It isn't to my decorating taste and certainly isn't what I would want at home; but I can appreciate the effort to make it glitzy, special, their stamp of identity, and I would never let it keep me from enjoying my cruises.

While they call themselves the "Fun Ships" and try to have something of interest for everyone...well surely most, they are not the rowdy, party crowds you may envision...at least if you avoid spring breakers. Any reputation they may have in that regard has either been upgraded or was mistaken in the first place. They have special places and activities for kids, so you don't see the few that are on the ship very often. (At least not during the school year) I have never taken a summer cruise, I'm at my own summer home then.

They are full of all kinds of people, many who have cruised all ranges of cruise lines, but mostly regular folks. That may not be your crowd, then again, you could no doubt find people you would like if you are open.

As for ships, their Conquest and Miracle are highly rated ships...ranked up there with some of the most elite. The Miracle has been sailing out of Fort Lauderdale which isn't too far from Miami, but I think it has recently moved. It's itinerary to St. Maarten, St. Lucia and St. Kitts was terrific. I'm not sure where the Conquest is now, but you could check it out. No matter what line you go on, research the individual ship's reviews, age-time since refurbishment, amenities, itinerary, ratings etc. If I were choosing a ship right now only according to the ship, I'd like to try the new Dream.

I admit that I wondered if I was "settling for less" when I went on my first Carnival, but I had a marvelous time, and continue to go back. Other than the decor bit, which I really was too busy enjoying myself to pay much attention, the other things you mentioned, like the yards of gold and silver for sale, I didn't go there...just avoid those things.

If you are convinced you will not like it, you won't, so don't go. But if sharing the experience with your friends means more to you than being on an elite status ship, by all means go, choose an itinerary you will like on a newer or recently updated ship, choose activities you like, ignore the ones you don't (there's always space to get away from actiities or groups you don't want to be around) keep an open mind and have the best vacation of your life because you are among friends.

Archived