REVIEW 4/5/09 Splendor to Mexican Riviera

mistyinca

We were on the same cruise and your comments, Mistyinca, gave a really good overview but I have some additional ones too. We had no children with us but expected a lot of kids on board because of spring break but what we did not expect was how many of the parents let their kids have 'free reign' of the ship with no ground rules set! We'd often find kids laying on the floors of the elevators and they would not move unless asked, kids would get in to the elevators and push all the buttons and then run back out. They would go to the shows (which were wonderful!) and sit and make rude comments until we finally asked them to be quiet or leave. Parents - please talk to your kids about their manners!!!

We were on Deck 7 and our cabin steward was friendly and kept the room clean. We too had early seating in the Gold Pearl and our wait staff was one of the best we've had.

Embarkation was great - we arrived early to see the ship arrive and were in Zone 1. Debarkation - I was not happy with it. We originally had group 8 and I was able to get us moved to group 3. We had a flight out of LAX leaving at 1:00 p.m. The ship was a little late in getting in and then the self-assist was taking FOREVER - people were bumpping their luggage down the stairs to check out as the elevators were packed. After waiting until 9:30 a.m. they still had not started disembarking group 1 so we decided to merge in with the self-assisted group to get off the ship. We were not stopped and were able to get our luggage and head for the airport. As it was, it was 10:30 a.m. when we were leaving the terminal for the airport.

We were disappointed in the Pinnacle. We had made reservations for 4 nights prior to getting on board as we usually like the specialty restaurants. We were expecting to have music during dinner as it had been on previous Carnival cruises but even though the equipment was there we were told that they stopped doing it. We were looking forward to the music and dancing in between courses, we had to ask several times for things and felt the food was not that special so we cancelled the remaining nights we had reserved. I realize that it could have been just a bad night but for $30 per person you should not have a bad night!

We both bought the Fountain Card and to our surprise you now have to pay an additional fee for the thermos!

The ship is pink but after a day or two you don't even notice.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise and will cruise with Carnival again - in fact we have 2 more booked!

Thanks for the great review and pictures. How was the weather on the ship during the sea days and at the ports? Did you like the ports and what did you do at each one? How was the movie area and did they show a different movie every night? Did they ever close the roof over the pool and was there enough sun by that main pool? If you don't buy a shore excursion for Cabo, how long do you have to wait for a tender to go onshore?

md98terp -- this one's for you -- my husband and I do not have children - we are both in our mid-40's-50's and are looking for a relaxing time -- granted, we are not sailing until the first week of November - well before the holiday season starts so I'm not TOO worried - but your description of the kids is alarming! I have sailed with Disney twice and have never experienced that kind of behavior! That being said, I usually stick to the "adult" areas of the Wonder and the crew is great about making sure these areas STAY "adult only" - don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't enjoy kids - I do, really! - but when I'm looking to spend time relaxing in the "adult" area, I resent it when people think it's perfectly okay to bring their toddlers along. Did you find that the adult areas were a nice place to go? I noticed in the capers that the Deck 9 aft pool is supposedly "adult only" -- true?

Misty -- THANK YOU for taking the time and effort to post these capers!! As suspected :D, I'm noticing that there are lots of terrific spa specials during the port days :D Can't wait to take advantage of some of those!!!

November just cannot get here soon enough!

Misty

First and foremost, thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and upload all of the capers and your picutres!

Are they still doing "On Deck for the Cure"? I didn't see it listed in any of the capers. I do hope that hasn't been stopped....

[quote name='80sramfan']Why was this your kids first cruise? Why did you not take them earlier? My daughter has been cruising since she was 2 and at age 9 has been on about 18 with two more coming this year[/QUOTE]

Whoa! Um...MY first cruise wasn't until last November, and I was 38. How nice that you have had the luxury of cruising since your kids were 2. Some of us haven't been so lucky. Sorry if that offends you. (Sheesh!)

[quote name='80sramfan']Why was this your kids first cruise? Why did you not take them earlier? My daughter has been cruising since she was 2 and at age 9 has been on about 18 with two more coming this year[/quote]

:confused::eek:

[quote name='mistyinca']Whoa! Um...MY first cruise wasn't until last November, and I was 38. How nice that you have had the luxury of cruising since your kids were 2. Some of us haven't been so lucky. Sorry if that offends you. (Sheesh!)[/quote]

[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Ignore it, Misty . . . there will always be "those" social engineers. :D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Love the reviews and the pics. [B]SPLENDOR [/B]is the new ship in LA and can't wait for my turn with her. Only 40 minutes away from the port ! ! :)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Thank you so much.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

Yeah I agree with glrounds in how nice it would be to afford to take my son with me on my cruises but it's not always possible. Just ignore that poster and keep doing the great reviews (and positive comments you post :))!!

Misty,

I finally got to look at your pictures, they are fantastic! Thank you so much for taking the time posting the review, pictures, and capers.

I hope you have many more cruises, and you find your "favorite ship"! :D

[quote name='80sramfan']Why was this your kids first cruise? Why did you not take them earlier? My daughter has been cruising since she was 2 and at age 9 has been on about 18 with two more coming this year[/quote]

[quote name='mistyinca']Whoa! Um...MY first cruise wasn't until last November, and I was 38. How nice that you have had the luxury of cruising since your kids were 2. Some of us haven't been so lucky. Sorry if that offends you. (Sheesh!)[/quote]

Misty don't let trolls (been on 18 cruises and only 27 posts to date since March??? hhhmm) ruin your day..

Once again thank you for taking the time to give us a review and post the capers & pictures. Really great!!

Archived