Portofinos on last night question?

Just got off our Mariner cruise to Mexico. I booked Portofino's for Friday night. The food and the service were excellent. Friday is the 2nd formal night, so we did dress up. I say go ahead and celebrate your anniversary at the restaurant on that Saturday. Just make sure that you're all packed up before heading to dinner.:)

Hubby and I are celebrating our Anniversary at Portofinos which happens to be the last night of the cruise (Saturday). How is dinner on the last sea day at Portofinos for those who have dined there?

I can't see it being any different on the last night. Keep in mind that it is your last night, not theirs. Their will be a whole new group of people for them to serve the following night. Out with the old and in with the new.

We did the last night also once. We went to the dining room first to tip our waiter, then went to Portofinos. We could have tipped the night before, but didn't want other people to think that we were deadbeats and skipping the tip.

We prepaid our tips as we would like to My Time Dining. That's terrible to hear that people would just skip out and not tip! We intend to tip generously at Chops.

We've done this a couple of times as we feel the offerings in the MDR on the last night are the poorest (just our opinion). Since we do late seating, we make our reservations for about 7 p.m. which leaves plenty of time to then go to the MDR, have another cup of coffee, say our goodbyes to tablemates and hand out tip envelopes to the servers. This has always worked out nicely.

Keep in mind that, while it might be your last night on the cruise, it's not the ships staff last night. They'll be open the next night as well. It's just they'll have new passengers to serve.

We've dined the last night and the only issue I had was making sure we got back to the dining room to tip the waitstaff. I did not want them to think we were skipping out in an attempt to stiff them at the end of the cruise.

I do chuckle when I hear someone around the shops telling someone else they're waiting for the sales on the last day of the cruise. The thought is that it's the last day and the last chance to sell merchandise before everyone leaves. No one thinks that the next day, a couple thousand MORE people will be in those shops looking over the very same merchandise they were waiting to be put on a last chance sale. It's funny how the mind works.

We ate in Portifinos on Saturday night (FOS). DD and I don't care for the last night's MDR menu. Both the food and service were wonderful. I would not hesitate to end my cruise in a specialty restaurant. We used MTD but I gave my vouchers and extra tip money on Friday night when we dined.

Archived