Transfer from international to domestic DTW

ericosmith

When transfering from an international flight to a domestic connection at DTW, does the exit from customs require going back through security or do you remain air side?

You must go back through security because you will have had access to checked luggage.

You must go back through security because you will have had access to checked luggage.

Wrona (or anyone else who wants to chime in), I'm hoping you can answer this question for me.

Returning from Vancouver to Pittsburgh, I am considering two different flights. One has a layover in Minneapolis, and both legs are on Northwest. If I understand correctly, I have to claim my luggage in Minneapolis, go through customs and then recheck my luggage. I didn't realize I also had to go back through security, as I had read that some customs areas have a conveyor belt where luggage can be immediately re-checked. I hadn't thought of the "access to checked luggage" part of it.

The second one I'm considering has the first leg from Vancouver to Las Vegas on Air Canada. The second leg is on USAir from Las Vegas to Pittsburgh. I was initially steering away from this flight because I was afraid I'd have to claim my luggage and recheck it due to the switch in carriers. If I am understanding the international flight procedures, I have to claim my luggage anyway and go through customs.

Is there any advantage to sticking with a return flight where both legs are through the same carrier, or is it okay to go with the one that switches carriers?

One last question -- I promise (at least for now!). Air Canada allows two free checked bags. If I then connect to USAir in Las Vegas to take the final leg to Pittsburgh, do I pay baggage fees to USAir?

Thank you!

Returning from Vancouver to Pittsburgh, I am considering two different flights. One has a layover in Minneapolis, and both legs are on Northwest. If I understand correctly, I have to claim my luggage in Minneapolis, go through customs and then recheck my luggage. I didn't realize I also had to go back through security, as I had read that some customs areas have a conveyor belt where luggage can be immediately re-checked. I hadn't thought of the "access to checked luggage" part of it.
I don't think you'd need to do that in Minneapolis. When you depart from Vancouver, you'll pre-clear US immigration and US customs there before you check-in. So when you arrive at Minneapolis, you'll be treated in the same way as a domestic arrival, and thus the connection will be the same as a US domestic => domestic connection. No bags to claim, no immigration, no customs.
The second one I'm considering has the first leg from Vancouver to Las Vegas on Air Canada. The second leg is on USAir from Las Vegas to Pittsburgh. I was initially steering away from this flight because I was afraid I'd have to claim my luggage and recheck it due to the switch in carriers. If I am understanding the international flight procedures, I have to claim my luggage anyway and go through customs.
The same will apply to the Vancouver to Las Vegas flight - nothing to claim at Las Vegas. So if you do this connection on a single ticket, I think it's almost certain that the bags will be transferred automatically because Air Canada and US Airways are both Star Alliance partners and I think it's almost inconceivable that they would not interline bags on a single ticket connection.

Globaliser is correct, you will preclear US immigration and customs in Vancouver. So when you land at your US airport, it is considered a domestic to domestic to connection. You don't have to reclaim your bags so you shouldn't have to go back through security (unless the airport you are connecting to requires you to go through security to get to different terminals, ex. LAX).

Globaliser is correct, you will preclear US immigration and customs in Vancouver. So when you land at your US airport, it is considered a domestic to domestic to connection. You don't have to reclaim your bags so you shouldn't have to go back through security (unless the airport you are connecting to requires you to go through security to get to different terminals, ex. LAX).

A couple of quick points....

1) At LAS, AC operates from T2, which is a separate facility than the main terminal where US flights operate. You will have a separate security screening, plus you will want to have enough time to make the connection. There is a shuttle that runs every 12-15 minutes, so pad that connect time.

2) At LAX, there are some terminals that are connected airside. I personally know that 5, 6, 7 and 8 can be all reached within the security area, and possibly T4 as well.

Archived