What Shoe Color/Style with this dress?

babydoll

Silver is NOT passe....sorry. Black pumps would be the lat choice...maybe black sandals....

i liked some of the other metallics too...

BTW i ordered shoes from shoebuy - an old standby that i knew would fit...BUT they came when promised....very easy to deal with-no complaints and IIRC they have free round-trip shipping in case you have to send something back!

i would do maybe silver jewelry--maybe with a little crystal action...or maybe pearls....

i would take the dress with me and try different stuff if you are heading back to the mall!

My vote is for black strappy heels. The dress is the 'star'...well really YOU are the star.... but I wouldn't compete with the dress with silver (I know, I know...silver is a 'neutral')....:rolleyes:

The shoes below are great with many outfits.

8521-598919-t.jpg

Happy KS

Yes there were tons of dresses with shutter pleats this past weekend when I was shopping. I really liked the jersey fabric that makes up the bodice of this one. It was extremely comfortable.

I also think I agree about the silver standing out too much. I have a pair of silver shoes (not strappy sandals but some closed toe pumps) and I tried them with the dress but they just didn't seem to be right. Maybe pewter would work better.

Pewter is a better choice than silver. I agree with Happy K's that silver is better for pastels, also I agree with Brazilgirl that a silver sandal with it would look a little passe. Not always, but with this particular dress.

Not terrible with this dress, but just not up-to-the-minute chic and "wow".

If this dress were navy, I'd go w/ pewter, but since it's a bright blue, the blue and black compliment each other.

For jewelry, I'd go for silver and/or crystal or a mix of the two.

Depending on your hair and your personal style, you could go w/ very bold geometric rigid shapes, such as a big, but unadorned cuff that has a very sculptural shape and geometric earrings. Or you could go with a necklace of multi (and I mean mega multi) strands of silver and crystals, earrings, and then skip the bracelet.

What kind of jewelry...could I skip a necklace and just wear some earrings? I have a pair of antique silver dangle earrings that are very nice.

Do I need a bracelet if I don't wear a necklace?

I mentioned some choices in my post above, so won't repeat. However, whether to wear a necklace or not is really up to you and your personal style. There's no right or wrong choice.

Personally, I would always opt for a necklace because I have a narrow face and a very long neck, so I need a necklace to "break up" all my pale white skin. (i'm a redhead) But that's just what looks best on me. Some people look great without a necklace, I'm just not one of them. :)

However, I do think that between earrings, necklace and bracelet, you should pick two of the three, not all three, but make them quite bold statements. This dress can handle it. I wouldn't go for small precious jewelry with this dress (too blah) I'd go for big and bold.

Jane,

Thanks for the reply. I did a search this afternoon for images of royal blue dresses and almost all the pictures I saw paired this color with black shoes (which actually surprised me). So I will probably go that direction with shoe color.

Personally, I have never been a necklace person. They always bug me. So I would probably choose a bracelet and earrings. Got any pictures of the type of jewelry you are talking about? I am really not very good at my accessorizing:o.

Thanks.

If you don't like necklaces, then definitely skip it. For me, part of fashion is about being happy. I could be wearing a fabulous outfit, but if it doesn't make me happy to wear it (and being uncomfortable would make me unhappy), then it's not worth it.

For me, necklaces are great, but I can't stand bracelets or rings.

Jane,

Thanks for the reply. I did a search this afternoon for images of royal blue dresses and almost all the pictures I saw paired this color with black shoes (which actually surprised me). So I will probably go that direction with shoe color.

Thursday afternoon, I spent 3 hours viewing a video edit of the haute couture and contemporary fall collections from Milan, Paris, London and New York, and then listened to a seminar which included the fashion directors of Neiman Marcus, Barney's and Bendels and was moderated by Norma Kamali. So after 15 years in the fashion biz, glad to know I could post something that gave some insight. :D

Personally, I have never been a necklace person. They always bug me. So I would probably choose a bracelet and earrings. Got any pictures of the type of jewelry you are talking about? I am really not very good at my accessorizing.

Thanks.

If necklaces bug you, don't wear one.

Here are some bold bangles:

16162353_D_1.jpg

This is a classic Elsa Peretti bangle from Tiffany's. It's been around for ages and never goes out of style and only goes up in price. You could probably find something similar, or if you can spend $650. for it, you'll have something special forever, that will be worth more in 10 years that what you pay now. This is a left handed version, it's also available with the curve on the other side, so you can wear it on the right hand.

It would look fabulous with your dress.

21102903_D_1.jpg

This is a Frank Gehry from Tiffany. It's brushed outside and shiny inside, but if you could find something similar, I like the geometric play of the angles w/ your dress.

22676806_D_2.jpg

This is another Frank Gehry piece from Tiffany.

31%2B%2BA%2BoWNTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This one is $49. from Amazon. I'd wear two of them on the same wrist for impact.

Of course, it's not silver, and the silver finish will fade, but it would look good for a few wearings.

Thursday afternoon, I spent 3 hours viewing a video edit of the haute couture and contemporary fall collections from Milan, Paris, London and New York, and then listened to a seminar which included the fashion directors of Neiman Marcus, Barney's and Bendels and was moderated by Norma Kamali. So after 15 years in the fashion biz, glad to know I could post something that gave some insight. :D

If necklaces bug you, don't wear one.

Here are some bold bangles:

16162353_D_1.jpg

This is a classic Elsa Peretti bangle from Tiffany's. It's been around for ages and never goes out of style and only goes up in price. You could probably find something similar, or if you can spend $650. for it, you'll have something special forever, that will be worth more in 10 years that what you pay now. This is a left handed version, it's also available with the curve on the other side, so you can wear it on the right hand.

It would look fabulous with your dress.

21102903_D_1.jpg

This is a Frank Gehry from Tiffany. It's brushed outside and shiny inside, but if you could find something similar, I like the geometric play of the angles w/ your dress.

22676806_D_2.jpg

This is another Frank Gehry piece from Tiffany.

31%2B%2BA%2BoWNTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This one is $49. from Amazon. I'd wear two of them on the same wrist for impact.

Of course, it's not silver, and the silver finish will fade, but it would look good for a few wearings.

Thanks for the pictures. Those are gorgeous bangles. It really gives me an idea of what to look for. :D

My pleasure Sarah! Glad it gave you some ideas

I just noticed you live in New Mexico.

I'm sure there are some fabulous silver pieces for you to buy locally!

You can find some absolutely beautiful silver jewelry in Santa Fe. Alas, I however live in the far southeast corner of New Mexico where the extent of my available shopping is Wal-Mart. The nearest mall and generally good shopping areas are 3 hours from here. So I either plan a shopping weekend (which is what I was doing when I found this dress) or shop on the internet.

You can find some absolutely beautiful silver jewelry in Santa Fe. Alas, I however live in the far southeast corner of New Mexico where the extent of my available shopping is Wal-Mart. The nearest mall and generally good shopping areas are 3 hours from here. So I either plan a shopping weekend (which is what I was doing when I found this dress) or shop on the internet.

Ahhhh........so close, yet so far... :(

Shopping weekend sounds good. :)

Let us know what you find.

I guess I'm spoiled. From home I can walk to the flagship stores of Sak's, Bloomingdales, Lord & Taylor and Macy's. (though I usually take a taxi home w/ packages).

Yesterday I attended a Sniffapalooza event which was breakfast in Bloomingdale's, and then lunch in a restaurant (hosted by Guerlain) and finished with a visit to Sak's and I was home by 3:00 in the afternoon.

Silver is NOT passe....sorry.

I don't recall anyone stating that silver shoes are passe` (unless I missed it in a post), just not exactly right for darker colors. I think silver looks great with pale pastels and white, while it would stand out like white shoes with a dress color this dark.

Unless you want the shoes to be the focal point of the look, choose shoes that will compliment the outfit or dress. This dress has enough detail you want the dress to be what people will notice the most. Look at the bracelets Jane110 has posted, they are all simple in design, nothing fussy about them to take away from the dress itself.

I think the best thing to do is to have a photo taken of yourself on a digital camera, making sure you aren't in front of too much going on behind you, like the mop and bucket ;)...then critique yourself a computer screen. That way, you can see yourself as others will. I swear I've changed some pretty awful looks for myself just by seeing myself as others do, looking in a mirror just doesn't always do it. I also will eliminate what stands out too much, what takes away from the intended focal point.

The dress is beautiful! Great find and add that to the fact that you feel good in it, makes it a real winner.

You may not like my answer, I am older so I may be a bit on the conservative side but here are my thoughts.

The dress is beautiful so I would not do too much to take away from the dress, I would wear the black shoes with the silver heels or silver strappy shoes, but no jewels or other embellishments on them, just plain silver. I don't know what type of earrings, etc. to recommend because that is hard without seeing you in the dress.

Anyway, that would be my recommendation if my daughter (35) were going to wear this beautiful dress. Have a GREAT cruise.

Where are you going and when?

The dress is beautiful! Great find and add that to the fact that you feel good in it, makes it a real winner.

You may not like my answer, I am older so I may be a bit on the conservative side but here are my thoughts.

The dress is beautiful so I would not do too much to take away from the dress, I would wear the black shoes with the silver heels or silver strappy shoes, but no jewels or other embellishments on them, just plain silver. I don't know what type of earrings, etc. to recommend because that is hard without seeing you in the dress.

Anyway, that would be my recommendation if my daughter (35) were going to wear this beautiful dress. Have a GREAT cruise.

Where are you going and when?

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate any and all opinions:). I am 35 and I agree that the shoes I choose should not detract from the dress (it is beautiful isn't it:D). I think I have decided on some black pumps that I already own. Now I must decide on the jewelry.

Oh, I am going to Alaska in May and Western Caribbean in November.

I'm so glad you decided to go with black shoes with this dress. I think the contrast between the lovely deep jewel tone of the dress and silver shoes would be jarring.

For jewelry, I also agree with the idea of picking two of three (necklace, earrings, bracelet). Being tall, I love noticeable pieces, but I would never wear a bold necklace AND bold earrings at the same time. JMHO, of course.

I'm sure that whatever you choose, as long as you are comfortable, you'll look and feel smashing.

Archived