St. Maartin and St. Thomas

ocgirl1981

Lots of local stuff (t-shirts dresses etc), and lots of jewelry especially gems and electronics. We were on Princess and they had a very informed lady named Liz. She could tell you (and almost every day she would be somewhere on the ship telling you about the next port) almost anything you want to know about gems and jewelry. A lot of the stores only want cash and most will give you a better deal if you pay with cash. Have a great trip.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

St. Thomas is lusher and has beautiful beaches and good shopping. St. Martin is two islands in one (half French and half Dutch) which makes for an interesting place to visit. There is a diverse selection of beaches on St. Martin. For perfumes and designer clothes and shoes visit Marigot and for electronics visit Philipsburg near where the ship docks. We have always found better prices for cameras and electronics in St. Maarten.

Karysa

I love shopping in St. Martin on both sides.

I love the market area on the French side. Regardless of how many times that I go there, I always find something unique. I also love the spices and I could kick myself for not buying more :mad:!! I've purchase local artwork, craved bowls,dolls,etc. I also had an excellent tour guide that took me to small out of the way stores where I purchased homemade hot sauce,pepper sauce and rum.

I know that all the ships push about the "duty free" shopping in St. Thomas, but I really didn't see that much.

Now if you are into t-shirts, also check out Rima's on St. Martin!!

My wife and I are going to St.Thomas in October and we read that part of the Paridise Point has burned down. We want to take the skyride to the top, but if there is nothing there we don't want to waste our money. Anyone been there lately? :confused:

My wife and I are going to St.Thomas in October and we read that part of the Paridise Point has burned down. We want to take the skyride to the top, but if there is nothing there we don't want to waste our money. Anyone been there lately? :confused:

it was Mountain Top that burned down, the skyride is in another part of the island by the Havensight dock. So you won't be wasting your money. Also can recommend Coral World if like aquariums and interaction w/ animals. If interested in snorkeling, Coki beach is very crowded so go to one of the lesser beachs, Sapphire, Emerald etc.

Have a great trip.

Have found St Thomas pricier than the other islands on jewelry, was just there & it's gotten very commercialized & very crowded since was there in 2005. Was surprised. Not a quiet sleepy island anymore. St Maartin is beautiful but only shopping we did was for souvenirs so can't advise on the rest.

Enjoy your cruise, any cruise is great !!

We will be St Thomas & St Martin in Oct as well and have been there before. But which place would have the better buy on makeup? Clinique specifically? Wasn't sure if all places that sell it have to have the same price or what. I know even the ship carries it. Wonder if it's the same price on the ship as in ports?

Where is a good place to get the spices?

Thanks!

We will be St Thomas & St Martin in Oct as well and have been there before. But which place would have the better buy on makeup? Clinique specifically? Wasn't sure if all places that sell it have to have the same price or what. I know even the ship carries it. Wonder if it's the same price on the ship as in ports?

Where is a good place to get the spices?

Thanks!

I can't speak about the makeup, but when it come to the spices, I say St. Martin. I purchase curry, saffon, and hot pepper sauce from the local market on the French side. I could just kick myself for only buying a small jar of curry. That curry was best that I ever use in cooking. I purchase some in Nassau in May,but it just didn't have that flavor.

There was about two vendors in the open market behind the resturants and near the ice cream shop. I can't wait to visit again next year because I have increase my budget in St. Martin to purchase the spices

Archived