Which HAL rail tour in Skagway

DaveOKC

We really want to do the White Pass rail tour in Skagway in mid-Sept. I am looking at two HAL tours - "Best of Skagway" - 6.5 hours and "Ultimate Yukon and White Pass Railraod" - 8 hours.

Can anyone guide me on which is the better of the two? My wife and I are 60 and my 85 year old Mother will be with us.

Thanks

We did the 7.5 hour tour through Chilkoot Tours - went up to Fraser on the Railway, then boarded a 15 passenger van for the rest of the journey and back to Skagway. Basically we were sightseeing - got out at Carcross for lunch and then out at a Yukon outpost for wandering, a bit of shopping. The trip is certainly not taxing from a physical standpoint. If you mother is an agile person she should have no trouble as long as she doesn't get too tired. I guess it just depends upon how active she is and whether or not she tires easily as it is a long day.

Hope this helps,

YaYa

I've done the train twice. The first time on a HAL excursion - don't know what they call it now (did it in 2007) - up to Fraser, B.C. on the train and then on the bus (40 plus passengers) back to Liarsville (VERY hokey - for the show and gold panning) and then back to Skagway. In 2008 I did the 7 hour tour with Chilkoot Charters - the train to Fraser, then a 20 passenger bus to Caribou Crossing (including seeing Emerald Lake), lunch at CC and back to Skagway. None involved any major walking. I'd do the Chilkoot Charters again - they picked us up very near the ship. Found the private excursion far superior to what HAL offered.

Archived