Lord Sheffield Review - this is the BEST!!!

viking30

We are cruising over Spring Break March 05 and now am torn between the Catamaran or Lord Sheffield???

Any suggestions..

My self and husband and two kids (16 & 14) also friends who have 14, 8, & 5 year old.

Do we have to bring our own snorkeling gear or is this included in the price.

Also, is this the boat that you do the work as far as sailing the boat??

Any info would be appreciated.

Need to make some reservations real soon.

Thanks

Laurie :)

We just got back from our cruise on RCI Adventure of the Seas, and we absolutely LOVED the Lord Sheffield trip. My husband drove the boat for quite a while, and he and I and a friend all jumped off of the "observation platform", approximately 35 ft high!! It was such a rush. Rob, Veronica and Erica are fantastic hosts. It was well worth the $50/pp. One of the best values in the Carribbean!

I forgot to put it is the Golden Eagle Catamaran that I am trying to get a comparison for.

Thanks

Laurie :)

Would we have enough time to do the Lord Sheffield and go the French side of St. Maartin and do some shopping???

Just to much to do and to little time!!!

[quote name='laurie1534']

Do we have to bring our own snorkeling gear or is this included in the price.

Also, is this the boat that you do the work as far as sailing the boat??

[/QUOTE]

Snorkeling gear is included. You don't do the work on this one - unless you count relaxing and drinking rum punch as "work". :) Captain Rob did let a couple of people steer the boat for some time, but no one besides the crew touched the sails.

Hey dfgf.........

My family is getting tired of my bragging about jumping off the Crow's Nest!!
I need proof! You still have the video? If you need to, PM me on this board and I'll get in touch with you somehow.

Take Care!

Jfire

:o Jfire - I PROMISE it will be this weekend - even if I have to record it to a VHS tape and mail it to you!

I'm very sorry - I haven't run into any technical difficulties, I've just run into time contraints.

Tonight: I install the firewire. Tomorrow, I'll attempt the video capture from the camera. I'll send you an e-mail tomorrow regardless. No need to PM you - I still have your e-mail address.

Dave

Turn left after you walk out of the complex. Then follow the path to Doc Marten. It's the first marina on the left. Walk to the end of the dock, sit at the picnic table, shoot the bull with the fisherman charter next to you as you marvel at this really pretty young lady some 40 feet up on the mast undoing the sails.

Have fun!!

dfgf - Thanks, I'll look forward to the e-mail.

Just wanting to thank Capt. Rob and his lovely crew for a fun day last Wed. The weather didn't co-operate but that did not lessen the day for anyone. Even a bit of excitement as Capt. Rob stopped to tow in a young couple on a sea-doo that had engine probs and were starting to drift out to sea. Well done Rob.
For anyone looking for a different type of excursion, consider this one...

• 2 weeks later...
The Lord Sheffield leaves at 11:00 am and returns at 3:15, so 4.15 hrs total. I believe that the maximun number of passengers is 25.

It is my understanding that you stop to swim or snorkel and that you "anchor" off a beach. To get to the beach you would have to swim. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

We don't go until April 4th but I can hardly wait.

Well, we totally lucked out on this one. After reading all these reviews, I quickly booked the Lord Sheffield through [url]http://saint-martin-activities.com/index.htm?catalog.htm&1[/url] and was lucky enough to get a spot for my husband and I. Considering we are sailing in 3 weeks AND there are 6 ships in port that day, I am thanking my lucky stars they had room. Dont know how we pulled that one off, if I had read about this tour sooner, I probably would have booked sooner. I'll give yall a review when I come back, but for now, I will say both the website I booked through AND Captain Rob are extrememly helpful and quick to respond to emails!

Maybe I'll jump off that crows nest. After several rum punches. ;)

I echo the reviews of Viking 30. We went on the Lord Sheffield on Wednesday February 9th, 2005. This was one of the best excursions we ever went on and for only $50.00 for adults and $25.00 for children it provided an excellent value. Captain Rob and mates Erica and Veronica quickly made us feel welcome abooard this 72 foot long sailing ship. They brought us beers, diet cokes and rum punch. The speciality short ribs that captain Rob prepared on the barbecue were the best. There were only eight people booked on this vessel which has room for 25. We sailed out to a snorkeling spot and swam and jumped off the bow for about fourty five minutes. Two of our excursion mates climbed to the crow next 35 feet above the water but none were brave enough to jump. Captain Rob and his crew were very knowledgable, friendly and hospitable.

On the return trip we motored back to the dock. This 4 1/2 hour excursion was very memorable for our family.

For people that enjoy the water this is a must do when you are in St. Martin!

DEVVT,

My wife and I will be on the same Mariner cruise (arriving in St. Martin 4/21/05). We are still undecided but are likely doing the Lord Sheffield tour. Did they mention if they were booked up or close to?

A few questions I wanted to clarify. So during April 21, will Mariner's ship time (EST) will be the same as island time? Is this because of Daylight Saving Time?

Has anyone reported any sea sickness with this excursion? My wife is afraid that she may get sick on a small vessel.

Thanks!

[quote name='REDBULL']DEVVT,
Has anyone reported any sea sickness with this excursion? My wife is afraid that she may get sick on a small vessel.
Thanks![/QUOTE]
If your wife is prone to sea sickness, she should either get the prescription patch or take some type of medication. You can get medication at the pursers desk. It's just not worth the risk. My friend got sick on the Americas Cup and she not only got sick, but missed out on a great sailing experience.

Archived