swimsuit for 70+?

francesam

Thanks to everybody for their help, I will get a swimsuit and see how i feel and will try some of the makes reccomended. I know you are mostly from usa and canada but there must be some here as i recognise the names.

I've lost some weight so that helps (had some teeth out and got an infection, so couldn't eat ):DA tremendous responce,and so helpfull

Well, I gotta tell you that I'm sitting here, squirming, feeling ancient!!!!!!!! :mad: You must all know that 70 is the new 30, and that a size 18 is the new 7. To anyone who is older than dirt, just remember we've paid our dues and earned our stripes. You who are under 65 will one day be old, too. I just hope I'm around to hear you moan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Now I have to go and find myself a teeny bikini, or a tent!!!

I may be a little less on the age range here, but I'm probably on the top of the size list. I'm 44, 5'6", 250+. Not a beach bunny by any means. ;)

However, I spent most of my time on a cruise vacation as wet as possible - as you can see from my avatar, I'm a scuba diver, and the hot tub afterward is almost a necessity.

That means that I'm in form-fitting lycra or neoprene from head to foot most of the day, and it's not a particularly pretty sight.

Typically, when going to the pool, I have been stuck in scoop-back one-pieces for several years because of the limited availability in my size. With those, I do tend go get 'flowover' at the top when the girls try to make an escape.

I much preferred to wear old pairs of my hubby's jams with a dark sports bra, but they changed the style of the jams so much they did not fit me anymore. I finally found two new 2-pieces with the shorts (takes awhile for plus sizes), so I will see how those work out next trip.

I typically keep a sarong handy, but that's for avoiding sunburn, not that I care about 'flowover' of whatever type.

Buy whatever kind of suit will make YOU comfortable and happy - don't worry about what other folks will think, and remember that we are all in full support of you!

Have a wonderful trip!

Wendy

I vote for a swimdress. They seem to be for all ages. I have one (shape FX) and at age 45 I feel and look great in it. My niece is 25 and she has the same swimdress different color...she looks and feels great in it. I posted picture a while ago and I think someone in their'60's said they loved it and wanted to get one too. Have fun whatever your decision!

Long live the swimdress!

coka

Oh, francesam, I do sympathize! I'm taking my mother on a cruise next week, and I did the same thing to her that your daughters are doing to you -- coaxed, persuaded, and pushed her into getting a swimsuit. And I know she's having the same qualms about wearing it in public as you are.

The thing is, I also know that nobody else is going to care or even notice. And once you (and my mom) "take the plunge", you'll realize that there's nothing to be embarrassed about. There's always someone who looks better and someone who looks worse, and just about everyone is more focused on how they look to others than how others look to them.

~However~...if my mom wears her suit to the pool with me, then tells me she's just not comfortable doing it again, I will absolutely respect that. And I'm sure your friend and daughters will do that for you as well. :)

Good for you!

Once onboard and your mother sees there are a whole bunch of others looking just like her, she will relax and wear her suit and go into the pool/hot tub if she wishes. There's no need to hide under a sundress or shorts and stay out of the pool.

I don't have a great body and I feel more comfortable on a cruise ship than anywhere else. Sure, there are some great bodies, but most of what you see are real people with wobbly bits, wrinkles, hips and tummy bulges.

Probably the best advice I ever got was from a bra fitter years ago. I told her of my perceived body image, she told me she had been fitting bras for years and had never met a woman who was happy with her body. Even the ones who seem perfect would find fault in themselves....men don't do that :rolleyes:

You guys have really encouraged me!:) I'm 66, love to swim, love to tan but my problem is a big midsection - thick waist, tummy, no butt!:D I'm not huge, just the middle. I'm going to check out those websites and see about getting something with tummy coverage and maybe a skirt. I hate to give up my swimming but am so self concious lately I haven't ventured out in a suit. Thanks for the encouragement!! :D;)

Sue

Hi Sue,I usually go to Marks and Sparks and get their bandeau full length

suits and the matching pareo which I tie around the hips or the bosooms

depending on how much I ate the day before..I love their stuff and have it

on good authority most of them are made by gottex without the pricing!!

I am ancient too but refuse to let that put me off!

Enjoy and Bon Voyage

Thanks to everybody for their help, I will get a swimsuit and see how i feel and will try some of the makes reccomended. I know you are mostly from usa and canada but there must be some here as i recognise the names.

I've lost some weight so that helps (had some teeth out and got an infection, so couldn't eat ):DA tremendous responce,and so helpfull

OOps sorry!!I meant Francesam..you will know Marks and Spencer

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone is being very kind and recommending various shops etc., but in the Uk where you come from these shops and makes aren't available. Why not try Marks and Spencer. They sell one piece swimsuits that don't look as if you're wearing a thong. Also many of them have sarongs to match, if you wrap it around your top it would look like a dress and you could wear it like that until you wanted to go into the pool. I've got a lovely green and gold one with matching sarong, which I don't feel embarassed to wear. I'm 65, short and overweight.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived