30 Hours in London - What are the must-sees?

Subject line pretty well says it all.

Of course, the only reasonable thing to do is ride the Clapham Omnibus, but there has to be more than that.

I'm not particularly interested in the changing of the guard, as I've had my share of military pageantry. Nor are we particularly interested in shopping.

Get yourself a 1-day travelcard and a good bus map, and ride double-deckers.

If something picks your fancy, get off.

Best way to see London IMHO.

Actually, that sounds like really good advice.

Subject line pretty well says it all. Of course, the only reasonable thing to do is ride the Clapham Omnibus, but there has to be more than that. I'm not particularly interested in the changing of the guard, as I've had my share of military pageantry. Nor are we particularly interested in shopping.

Understand on the changing of the guard being a little over-rated, plus crowded. London has so very, very much to do. It really depends on what you most want, seek and like. TELL US MORE! How much are you interested in history? Museums, food, plays, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? What type of art, plays, shopping, etc., do you love most? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Time of year when traveling?

Agree on the one-day pass being an excellent value and it makes seeing this city so much easier. Below are a few picture highlights from our last visit to London. I would probably have St. Paul's Cathedral, Tower of London, Churchill Museum, British Museum and Harrod's in my top five. The London Eye ride gives a good overview of the city. See below. Lots of wonderful options. Great city!!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

227273386_5-Lond-EyeBoat.jpg.e19e56f73611908a703c6c85611fddfe.jpg

2006394637_5-Lond-EyeParl.jpg.a8988199eef56ae71bf986268ae4c957.jpg

5-Lond-Pub.jpg.27a5d84b1b919429fc9e2918560f3eda.jpg

5-Lond-Portobello.jpg.01ad63776497fe146b2e600787d56164.jpg

583259899_5-Lond-BillyElliot.jpg.04e3dfaf574135d57d436f4d21ddde9d.jpg

I really enjoyed Westminster Abbey, Tower of London and London Eye. And I especially enjoyed all of the local Pubs. Loved the atmosphere. We'll be staying in London 2 night pre cruise in September and I would like to see a play and do the bus tour. London is a beautiful city and you can't see it all in a short amount of time.

Tell us more on what you like to do and see when visiting great and large cities such as London. Have you been there before? How many are in your party, ages? That will help provide more and better specifics.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Of course, the only reasonable thing to do is ride the Clapham Omnibus, but there has to be more than that.

I'm not particularly interested in the changing of the guard, as I've had my share of military pageantry. Nor are we particularly interested in shopping.

Get a cheap day pass for the underground.

How about starting at the London Eye.

Cross over the bridge and see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament and Westminster abbey.

Get on the tube stop at St Pauls. Then on the tube again to see the Tower of London, cross Tower Bridge ( see bridge exhibit if you fancy it), visit HMS Belfast.

Walk back across the bridge have a walk arround St Katherines Dock. Get the Docklands Light Railway( included in tube pass) to Island Gardens. You can break the journey at Canary Wharf if you are interested. Then you can walk under the Thames to Greenwich.

Visit the Greenwich mean line, maritime museum Greenwich observatory and loads more. Get a boat back up the Thames to Westminster. Better to do monorail one way and boat back as you see the best of both.

http://www.londontourist.org/attractions.html

That should be a really good day out.

Agree with most of what Joa says above (Joa - like the inclusion of Windermere cruises - can I include Birkenhead - Liverpool (Mersey Ferry) and Mull - Iona (Stena -10 min cruise)? :D

If I can add places to avoid - the area around Piccadilly Circus/Leicester Square is very touristy, tacky and crowded.

Borough Market is good fun (Thu/Fri/Sat only I think?) and our favourite ever tourist "spot" in London is Highgate Cemetery, which is fascinating.

In London, you can see a lot in a very short time if you are prepared to skim the surface and not spend too much time in one spot. Even if you wander aimlessly, you'll always find something interesting around the next corner.

Prepare to be exhausted!

Agree with most of what Joa says above (Joa - like the inclusion of Windermere cruises - can I include Birkenhead - Liverpool (Mersey Ferry) and Mull - Iona (Stena -10 min cruise)? :D

Sounds good to me:p

Sounds good to me!! You definetely need to add these exotic destinations:p

Archived