Swine Flu in Mexico

board_jay

So now it looks a lot more likely that a bunch of these NYC kids indeed picked up Swine Flu in Cancun and as everyone knows, that's pretty close to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_swine_flu_states

I called RCCL and so far they aren't doing anything different and gave me the typical BS about a charge to change my cruise. I didn't push them since I want to wait a little longer and see how this plays out, but I predict that there will be travel restrictions issued for Mexico from the US within the week and then RCCL will have to either bypass Cozumel or schedule a different port - maybe their private island which would be fine by me.

This is a bunch of media hype.

I was in Cozumel 2 weeks ago, but if I were leaving for there on a cruise today, I'd be more concerned about pirates than about swine flu.

Yes- the CDC, WHO, and US State Department media. Bunch of flamers them.

I haven't seen the latest numbers, but last I saw, there were around 2,500 cases reported worldwide with 83 deaths (all in Mexico).

Compare that to just a normal, run-of-the-mill annual flu season per the World Health Organization:

In annual influenza epidemics 5-15% of the population are affected with upper respiratory tract infections. Hospitalization and deaths mainly occur in high-risk groups (elderly, chronically ill). Although difficult to assess, these annual epidemics are thought to result in between three and five million cases of severe illness and between 250 000 and 500 000 deaths every year around the world.

Linkage (to 2003 data): http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs211/en/

There have been no reported cases of swine flu within 800 miles of Cozumel or Cancun.

Those kids who are mentioned had "flu-like symptoms" but were not confirmed to be swine flu. The other kids in their school who did have swine flu did not go to Mexico. Seems likely that they contracted it after returning to school, since New York has over 100 cases now and Cancun has zero.

I'm not too worried about the Mexico part yet because my cruise isn't until July, so I'd imagine we would know more of what is going on by then.

However, I am keeping an eye on it, but mostly on what's going on in the US. I ride public transportation daily and I can imagine a flu outbreak easily transmitted on the Metro. :eek:

We get regular e-mail information from the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in our area. This is the most recent...

Warden Message

Update on Flu Outbreak in Mexico – Center for Disease Control Issues Travel Notice for Mexico; Mexico City Cancels Classes until May 6

April 26, 2009

The U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) updated on April 26, 2009 a notice about H1N1 “swine” influenza and travel to Mexico. The notice does NOT recommend that people avoid travel to Mexico at this time, and suggests precautions travelers and U.S. citizen residents in Mexico can take to reduce their risk of infection. The notice can be found at the following link: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentSwineFluMexico.aspx.

On April 25, the Government of Mexico announced that as a precautionary measure, all schools from kindergarten through university level will remain closed until May 6 in the Federal District, State of Mexico, and San Luis Potosi. All government-sponsored events involving large crowds have also been canceled, and museums and most tourist attractions are closed.

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City will open on Monday morning, April 27, 2009, but all non-essential services to the public will be suspended. From Monday, April 27 through Thursday, April 30th, consular services for U.S. citizens will be limited to citizenship applications (passports and consular reports of birth abroad, or CRBA) and emergency assistance only. Notarial and other routine services will not be available; anyone with passport or CRBA appointments is encouraged but not required to reschedule to a later date. Additionally, the Federal Benefits Unit is requesting all persons to postpone interviews on Social Security claims.

The Embassy’s visa unit will also suspend normal operations during this week. The Embassy will reschedule all visa applications which have been made for the week of April 27th. Our call center will call or e-mail applicants to reschedule appointments. Alternatively, applicants may re-schedule visa appointments without being charged by calling 01-800-719-2525. If there is an emergency visa issue please email visas_mexico@state.gov.

Finally, the Benjamin Franklin Library will be closed to the public next week.

All other operations at the U.S. consulates and consular agencies throughout Mexico will continue as normal.

These are precautionary measures only, taken to best assure the well-being of our clients and staff.

The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Mexico that most cases of influenza are not “swine flu”; any specific questions or concerns about flu or other illnesses should be directed to a medical professional. Mexico City medical authorities urge people to avoid hospitals and clinics unless they have a medical emergency, since hospitals are centers of infection; instead, those with health concerns are encouraged to stay home and call their physicians to avoid potential exposure. Although the U.S. Embassy cannot give medical advice or provide medical services to the public, a list of hospitals and doctors in the Yucatan Peninsula can be found on the U.S. Consulate Merida website at the following link: http://merida.usconsulate.gov/doctorslist2.html.

For additional information, please consult the State Department’s website at www.travel.state.gov, the CDC website at www.cdc.gov, or the website of the World Health Organization at www.who.int. The U.S.-based call center for U.S. citizens can be reached from 8:00 am – 8:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time, M-F, at 1-888-407-4747, or if calling from outside the U.S., at (202)-501-4444. The U.S. Embassy will also post additional information as it becomes available at: www.usembassy-mexico.gov.

The U.S. Consulate in Merida is located at Calle 60 No. 338 K x 29 y 31, Colonia Alcala Martin; telephone from the United States: 011-52-999-942-5700; telephone within Merida: 942-5700; telephone long distance within Mexico 01-999-942-5700. You may also contact the Consulate by e-mail at: meridacons@state.gov. The U.S. Consulate’s web page is http://merida.usconsulate.gov.

Carnival has a recorded message saying that they are not canceling any ports. They are keeping a close watch on the situation and are in contact with the CDC. It says the scheduled itinerary will not change.

I am hoping my dune buggy excursion isn't canceled. My kids are really looking forward to that one...but on the other hand I HOPE Carnival WILL cancel them if it becomes a health risk....

:-)

There have been no reported cases of swine flu within 800 miles of Cozumel or Cancun.

Those kids who are mentioned had "flu-like symptoms" but were not confirmed to be swine flu. The other kids in their school who did have swine flu did not go to Mexico. Seems likely that they contracted it after returning to school, since New York has over 100 cases now and Cancun has zero.

you are wrong, the NYC cases ARE confirmed as Swine Flu. And as I predicted, this was just released, the US has issued an advisory against travel to Mexico:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

We spoke with Carnival today and they said there is currently no change in the iteniraries since there has not been any reported cases at any of the ports they call at. If you look at a Map of Mexico, Mexico City where the majority of cases in Mexico have occured is several hundred miles from any of the Carribean locations. It would be as if you were staying away from Atlanta because they had a flu outbreak in Houston. The flu is spread by human contact, and Mexico is not as mobile a society as we are in the US, so I would be more worried about the cases in the US spreading to your location at home than several hundred miles across Mexico. We are leaving May 3rd, and will be visiting Cozumel during our cruise, and I have no concern at all beyond what you would normally have when traveling to a less developed country. I would not call a few hundred cases in a world of 6 billion people a pandemic, and hope Carnival does not decide to bypass Cozumel over the hype. If your feeling "nervous" or anxiety then go to your doctor and get a prescription for Tamiflu and take it with you, and practice good hygiene on the ship ( which is good idea in close confinement with 3000 other people any time) and have a Great Time.

Still zero swine flu in Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, or the entire state of Quintana Roo.

See map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281&z=5

WHO update yesterday:

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_27/en/index.html

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975935

According to this thread Carnival has cancelled its Mexico stops for today, including Cozumel. I'm not sure how true it is since I spoke with my Carnival rep via email this morning and said that they will be making an announcement regarding the Mexican ports this evening at 5pm eastern but as of yet none had been cancelled...

I just called Carnival's 800# to see the status of my cruise on the 17th. They have a recording stating that by 5pm EST today you can check their website for an update on all itneraries to Mexico.

Just an update. I hope we will NOT be stopping in Cozumel!:p

I just called Carnival's 800# to see the status of my cruise on the 17th. They have a recording stating that by 5pm EST today you can check their website for an update on all itneraries to Mexico.

Just an update. I hope we will NOT be stopping in Cozumel!:p

We depart on May 3rd and are scheduled for Cozumel on the 8th, and I certainly do not want to just float around and not dock there. I have not seen anything so far that makes me worry about my health any more than normal when traveling to mexico.

Carnival will suspend visiting all Mexican Ports of Call until May 10 according to local news. Carnival alone is taking this action as a precaution and because they have been inundated with inquiries about safety measures. Their afternoon or evening announcement will probably advise clients what alternatives they are offering - even if it’s a day at sea.

It is my understanding Carnival alone has taken this position about all Mexican ports and it will be this way until May 10, 2009 when they will reassess the situation.

As of this writing, there are still no known cases of this illness in the State of Quintana Roo.

The World Health Organization urged countries not to restrict international travel or close borders, as such measures would not in themselves stem the outbreak. Efforts to contain the outbreak by restricting travel would be unlikely to work without "draconian measures," said Dr. Keiji Fukuda, the agency's assistant director-general. But he said people who are ill should put off trips abroad, and people who fall ill after a trip should see a doctor.

Every few hours there is a plane load of people from Mexico City heading to different parts of the U.S.A. without any restrictions. It makes no sense at all to tell Americans not to visit parts of Mexico that are more disease free than Kansas.

My cruise isn't until September so I think it'll be fine.... but I do wonder just what they're going to do for skipped port days. I read an article posted on the main page and it says several lines are just taking an extra sea day. Are they giving onboard credit or anything for that?

IMO they should at least try to go to another port OR perhaps have an over night at the next/previous port or maybe even spend a few extra hours at each port. I enjoy sea days and all but if I'm paying for 4 port stops I want 4 port stops.

I know it's not the cruise line's fault but it'd be nice if they tried to make up for it.

I wouldn't be afraid of stopping in Cozumel right now...

If avoiding Cozumel or R. Maya altogether is what makes you feel more comfortable, consider that this flu can and does spread, so who's to say that any other ports of call may not be affected?

You make a good point. If it has spread to the U.S., why not other places like GC, Jamaica, Belize, etc...

I really think the media has made more of this than it is, but I understand everyone's concerns.

Per the CCL website, all port stops to Mexico have been canceled for ships leaving April 30 through May 4. They are working on rerouting those that were due to call upon Mexico and will have more information regarding that at 5pm tomorrow.

Archived