How long will free A.I. be available?

My parents are away until Tuesday evening so cannot look at next year's cruises, they have tried the local travel agents but they still have no brochures yet.

We fancy the Celebration "Ottoman Treasures" and "Aegean Discovery" in June 2010 which at the moment are available with free A.I. Does anyone have any idea how long this offer is likely to be on for? I shall be upset if I miss it! :(

Who do you regular Thomson cruisers prefer to book through for the best price, the website or an agent?

Carol x

If you call the Thomsons call centre and tell them the price online, they will match the online price which is usually £200 cheaper. Free AI last year lasted until July but it was quoted as such in the brochure then but this year the new brochure doesnt say for how long it will be free so booking early is best way. Thomsons told me that when free AI upgrade finishes it will cost £169 pp per week to buy AI upgrade

We had free A.I. on Destiny last December and really appreciated it! Hopefully we should be ok for another week as I would prefer to spend the extra money on a deluxe cabin if my mother-in-law shares with us again.

I'm just really frustrated sitting here ready to book when four people out of our group of seven are away this weekend and cannot be pinned down to make a decision!!

Carol x

I would think you'd be ok next week, Carol. I think they have a quota and pull the 'freebies' when they reach a pre-determined level of sales. Some sailings retain the AI until quite late - perhaps these are less popular dates/itineraries. It's very hard to predict as there are so many variables.

More recently I have used an on-line Cruise company to book. It's a TUI firm (so you have some confidence about all the guarantees, ATOL etc.) but I use a particular agent who gave me very good service a few trips ago so I've stuck with her. I have her direct line which is a free phone number so that if there are any subsequent queries I can get back to her - not a tree!!!! They usually are cheaper than the Thomson on-line price. My latest booking was just £10 p.p. cheaper, but I might just as well have £20 than them! On occasion, I have had as much as £100+ saving - but it's always worth checking all the on-line prices to see which is most competitive. My agent will always check though to make sure she's giving me the best price.

Anyway, good luck with the booking!!! :D

I don't think any of us do!!! :confused:

AI varies so much: different length of availability/ different itineraries (ex-UK never available anyway)/ different ships/ different prices (free, or anything from £69 p.w. to £198 - I think that is the most I've seen).

I have this feeling it's all governed by a sophisticated computer program which works on the: if..................... then................ principle where the 'ifs' relate to % cabin sales, rate of sales, which type of cabins have sold, % aircraft seats filled from each regional airport, popularity of itinerary, popularity of ship etc. and the 'thens' would be pricings and the availability of freebies/perks. So many variables!!!!

All sorts of pricings change as time goes by - airport surcharges, cabin up-grades (can be much cheaper, even free just before departure) but then again, I've seen the total costs go up significantly just before departure too. I guess it's all to do with how many unsold cabins there are at the end.

I reckon it would be worthy of a degree for anyone who can get to the bottom of it all! But then again.... perhaps someone has got it cracked! If so, please do let us know! :D

• 1 month later...

I don't think you can do back to back cruises on line. Best to try a Thomson travel agent in the first place and you may then be able to compare with another travel agent.

It is worth noting that not all cruise options are listed on the Thomson's website. I booked on the Eastern Wonders repositioning cruise on Celebration next April through the local Thomson's travel agent. Website only showed Luton flights as an option, but I wanted, and got, Gatwick.

My parents are away until Tuesday evening so cannot look at next year's cruises, they have tried the local travel agents but they still have no brochures yet.

We fancy the Celebration "Ottoman Treasures" and "Aegean Discovery" in June 2010 which at the moment are available with free A.I. Does anyone have any idea how long this offer is likely to be on for? I shall be upset if I miss it! :(

Who do you regular Thomson cruisers prefer to book through for the best price, the website or an agent?

Carol x

I always find it cheaper to pay £169 for AI with a few weeks to go, than to get it "free" by booking a year early and paying the prices asked.

I have the advantage of being able to go away at the last minute without planning ahead, so it works for me that way.

Obviously nothing is "free" in life, they just include it in the price for early bookers. If you have fixed holidays, and need to ensure you get a particular date and cruise then I suppose it is wise to book early.

Otherwise, I would say hang on till the prices reduce. For instance compare the cost of the same cruise going in a months time with one advertised that comes with "free" AI in a years time. I am sure the price difference will be greater than £169 which is the cost of the AI package.

If you would not drink a £169 worth of drinks, I would say why pay for it by booking early? Why not wait till it is no longer available, and the price reduced? That way you can just pay for your cruise and the drinks you consume.

Sorry, this is just my opinion, nothing is guaranteed with Thomsons crazy pricing mechanisms and prices have been known to rise as well as fall.

This is the combination that I would be interested in next year, let us know how you get on. I find it hard to get a price on the internet for back to back cruises but maybe I am doing something wrong.

Hi Rivierabelle

I am currently looking at this cruise. To get a back to back on line when you do your search enter the ship you want ie. The Celebration then 14 days and May 2010 when it searchs this itinery is the last on the list. Hope this helps.

Mary

I was interested to read your comments John about waiting till the last minute to get the best price.I always book a year in advance- this means I can get my holidays booked at work and get the pet sitting organised!

I continue to check prices as my holiday approaches and as you say the price goes up and down! I wouldn't like to wait till last minute and end up in the bottom of the ship in an indoor cabin! That would spoil the holiday for me.

I follow your logic about the 'cost' of the drinks package forming part of the cost, but my hubby can't stop telling people he got 'free' drinks by booking early.Psychological I know but he still thinks he got a bargain!

Incidently I rang Thomson Direct to get a price comparison and she said 'I can offer you free all inclusive...' - when I asked what determines whether she can offer free drinks package she said 'we are allowed 20 per sailing and when they have gone thats it'.

Flopsy

I find that often Portland are cheaper than ringing Thomsons, but they are really good and will check Thomson for you, to look at what discounts are available from either Portland or Thomson.

The other thing I do often is get a price for the cruise I want through Gills Cruises or Thomas Cook and Portland will beat it.

Archived