Long Island or Jersey Coast??

minimartha

Okay most people on here and almost everyone on Tripadvisor agree that the Jersey Coast or Long Island would be better for a beach trip while we're in NYC instead of Coney Island..We'd like to take 2 days and go.. which would be better with Teenagers ages 13,14 & 2 16 YO.. (3 boys and 1 girl) ? Jersey Shore or Long Island? Kids love beach during the day enjoy a nice pool and hot tubs at night. We like to walk to beach shops, get ice cream and boardwalk.. We are flying to Manhattan before our cruise from NC and then staying two days post cruise in Manhattan so NO car. We need to be able to fairly easily get a train to wherever we go and then get back to the airport from the coast.. What do you think? Would like a hotel on the beach or within seeing :D distance.

Well, I think to get a boardwalk, you will have to go to the Jersey Shore. I hesitate to recommend Atlantic City, but you would be able to easily get a bus there and you could probably score a good hotel rate in a fancy place on the boardwalk with a pool, hot tub, and on the beach. However, you would not want your teenagers wandering around at night, so.....

You might want to consider renting a minivan and driving to another shore destination - I'm sure folks will make recommendations. Seaside Heights has a boardwalk and amusements.

Only two places on Long Island seem to have a boardwalk of any size - Long Beach and Jones Beach. Long Beach is residential without many hotels. Jones Beach is a state park with no hotels on the beach.

You could do Belmar....not really a boardwalk with lots of STUFF...OR point pleasant.....

you could take the north jersey coast line....

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/r0080.pdf

it's a couple hours............point pleasant is fun...lots of stuff.....smaller motels...nothing fancy-same with Belmar.

renting a car may not be a bad option.....you'd get around easier (and faster). If you rent a car you oculd drive over to the beach and stay a little inland....there are a few marriott properties in neptune/tinton falls, a sheraton, some sort of suites place (maybe staybridge) in eatontown...

those are within about 15 minutes of various beaches..........

if you are going midweek, deals in Atlantic city are better...BUT rooms are NOT cheap on weekends.....there is shopping (outlets and a fancy mall), a lovely beach, little junk shops and the like.....they TRY to make it a family resort.....BUT......;)

http://www.pointpleasantbeach.com/hotels.htm

that's a link to point pleasant

http://www.jenkinsons.com/ the big boardwalk/recreation area there.

let me know if you have other questions..........

you can email me too at megtravels at yahoo dotcom

If your kids want the boardwalk with the games etc. go to the Jersey Shore. The boardwalk in Long Beach, NY is for walking and bike riding there are no amusements there. I have been to the beach in N.C. because my sister moved to Kure Beach. The water is much colder and the waves and undertow usually rougher in NY, just so you know. A close seaside town to Manhattan in NJ is Seaside Heights, with amusements and teenagers love it there. It is kind of "old school" if you know what I mean and not glamorous, but I think you will have some nice family fun. I am sure NJ shore experts will check in. Each town is unique.

HOW CLOSE is Seaside Beach? Is it close enough to take a train.. I hate to drive just for that part of the trip because we'd have to essentially pay for parking the rest of the time. It doesn't need to be glamorous the kids enjoy the shops and little stuff but they're really not picky..they do like beach, pool, hotub though.. I really don't know what to pick. :eek:

There is a brand new hotel in Long Beach, NY, it is a luxury hotel and it is brand new, opened this year. http://www.allegriahotel.com/

Wooo that hotel looks really nice. I checked the rates and the cheapest thing I could find was $350/nt. I would LOVE to just be 15 minutes from the airport though that would be PERFECT!

HOW CLOSE is Seaside Beach? Is it close enough to take a train.. I hate to drive just for that part of the trip because we'd have to essentially pay for parking the rest of the time. It doesn't need to be glamorous the kids enjoy the shops and little stuff but they're really not picky..they do like beach, pool, hotub though.. I really don't know what to pick. :eek:

it's an hour and a half and i am not sure if the train goes that far...i do not think so....i sent you a link to nj transit so you may want to check that out.

and if you're flying into EWR there is no way in he!! that you'd get out to long island in 15 minutes....you wouldn't even get there from JFK or LGA in 15 minutes.....too much traffic.

"I hate to drive just for that part of the trip because we'd have to essentially pay for parking the rest of the time."

I'm not understanding your comment. By the time you pay round trip train fares for 6 people and then pay to get to the airport, you could rent a minivan in New York and return it at the airport. Also, you will have all your cruise luggage to manage. A car rental would give you the flexibility to go wherever you like. What are your exact dates? Are you doing this post cruise and then flying home? What airport are you flying out of?

we've spent a lot of time when our kids were younger in Wildwood and Wildwood Crest, which has great boardwalk and beaches, amusement piers on the boardwalk, shops, ice cream and fry stands, etc.

Most of the hotels have outdoor pools, but not so much the hot tubs. About 3 hours from NYC, though. There used to be bus service, probably still is, we always drove.

Atlantic City has beautiful indoor pools, fantastic hotels, hot tubs - although most don't like children in them. The beach is nice, and underused compared to Wildwood.

There is a great boardwalk with small stores and one mall on the boardwalk, one small amusement pier, outlets. Accessible by bus and train. About 2 hours from NY, by car, no traffic. Close to Philly.

The beaches on Long Island just don't have the same type of boardwalk - the kind you see on tv. Long Beach is more than 15 minutes to JFK - but not much longer with no traffic.

IMHO, if you are willing to forgo the pool and hot tub, Best Western in Sheepshead Bay would be a good option. It is just off the Belt Parkway, 15-20 minutes no traffic to Kennedy. No taxis around, but plenty of reliable car services nearby.

The Coney Island boardwalk is an incredible experience, the beach is nice.

http://www.bestwesternnewyork.com/hotels/best-western-brooklyn-bay/

There is another beach walking distance - Manhattan Beach, but it is smaller, no boardwalk, on the far side of Sheepshead Bay.

There are party fishing boats that leave the bay for full and half day trips if anyone is interested in that.

If you already have the airline tickets into JFK, then getting to the Jersey Shore (:) people in NJ call their beach the shore) is going to be a pain. Plus you are going to have all your baggage for the cruise with you.

If you haven't booked the airline yet, then flying into Newark and renting a car and driving to Seaside Heights isn't difficult. You can be there in about an hour.

If you stay at a hotel near JFK then taking a day trip to Long Beach or even Fire Island, via LIRR is an option. Or even taking the subway and going to Coney Island for the day.

It seems you may be flying from Kennedy Airport, so I agree that going to the Jersey Shore may be complicated. I looked around on Long Island and found the British Colonial Hilton in Bellmore close to Jones Beach for about $200/night. Once again I would recommend renting a car with an airport return. This would allow you to enjoy the hotel plus drive to Jones Beach State Park on the ocean. You would also be close to Kennedy Airport for your return flight.

We haven't booked our plane tickets yet. They were $130 Wed and when I went to purchase them on Friday they were $250 which still isn't bad but much higher so I'm waiting to see if the price drops again.

I THINK.... we may just STAY in Manhattan and make a day trip to Coney Island and then maybe another day trip to Long Island if the kids are dying for the water again.. we will have a 4 day cruise during our 10 days up there so maybe just a day to Coney Island will suffice.. I had the kids write their top 3 things they wanted to do while we were up there last night and it was interesting what they came up with..

So...

Treasury Tour and day in Financial District/Chinatown

Shopping, Conway & Dinner in Cellar at Macy's

Lion King & Cheesecake from Juniors

Madame Trussads Wax Museum (AGAIN! ;))

Day In Central Park

Coney Island

HOW"S THAT SOUND? Lol... OH I LOVE NYC! I can't wait to wake up and going into a little store to get my everything bagel with creme cheese and bacon, a diet dr. Pepper with a straw and watch the city wake up.. anyone know the link to the NYC webcam? ;)

Sounds like a plan to me. By the way, Coney Island will probably be most enjoyable in the afternoon and early evening. Rides don't open until noon. There are public restrooms on the beach - perhaps someone can comment on what you should do if you actually decide to swim and if one location on the beach is better than others. Subway travel time is about 45 minutes from midtown.

depending on where you are staying in Manhattan, you can take either the F or Q train (downtown, towards Brooklyn/Coney Island) to West 8th Street in Brooklyn. This lets you off right near the NY Aquarium.

It is at the east end of Coney Island Beach - there will be beach to both the left and the right of you -(facing the ocean) to the left is east and Brighton Beach, to the right is the rest of Coney Island Beach. There are restroom facilities just off the boardwalk here, which is one of the reasons my friends and I used this particular beach when our children were young.

It is a very short walk to the rides (if that is of interest to you).

You can stroll up and down the boardwalk, go to any of the "bays" (section of beach) you want to stop at. There will be lifeguards on duty beginning Memorial Day - we try to sit within sight of a lifeguard for both water safety and orientation of your location.

Then, at the end of your time, hop on the Q train, take it towards Manhattan, but get off at DeKalb Avenue for Junior's. There are many stores right by Junior's for window shopping or actual shopping. Get back on the Q train (towards Manhattan - uptown) and transfer at 34th Street/Herald Square for the F train if your hotel is closer to that or another line.

Thanks for the directions. We always go to the Juniors in Timesquare but isn't the Brooklyn one the original one? I thought I saw on the food network show down with Bobby Flay when they were doing cheesecake that Brooklyn was the first one. I still have a subway map here from the last visit and I'll mark it for that route. Thanks!:)

Thanks for the directions. We always go to the Juniors in Timesquare but isn't the Brooklyn one the original one? I thought I saw on the food network show down with Bobby Flay when they were doing cheesecake that Brooklyn was the first one. I still have a subway map here from the last visit and I'll mark it for that route. Thanks!:)

yes, the one in Brooklyn is the original Junior's.

The Long Island beaches and the Jersey Shore are totally different in atmosphere. If you want a carnival atmosphere with things to do at night you'll be happier on the Jersey Shore. Long Island's beaches are spectacularly beautiful in a natural undeveloped way. Coney Island is a city beach, not in the same class at all. Trying to get to either the Jersey Shore or Jones Beach without a car is not a good idea at all. You actually can reach Long Beach (on LI) easily by railroad. Just take the LIRR from Penn Station. It's a commuter line and will take less than an hour, letting you off a very short cab ride (you might even be able to walk it) from the beach.

If I had 2 days to spend and wanted an overnight at the beach away from the City without needing a car I'd do what everybody else in Manhattan does: Take either the LIRR or the Hampton Jittney (its a bus and probably only runs on weekends) out to The Hamptons. The Hamptons do not have the "ticky tacky" carnival atmosphere of the Shore and they are much prettier than Long Beach. The trip is about 2 and a half hours depending on which Hampton town you stay in. For adults I would definitely say go to the Hamptons. You know your teenagers though.

Was thinking about it more and . . . . just want to qualify my suggestion a bit. Manhattan residents tend to be upscale adults without cars, but also without teenagers. I don't personally care for the Jersey Shore but I do have teenagers. In general (there are exceptions) you won't find resort type hotels with pools and hot tubs in the Hamptons and there are no boardwalk type areas to amuse younger teens at night. The towns are historic and pretty and they don't roll up the sidewalks at 5 PM or anything (at least not during the summer season). The beaches are first class, the shopping is good and, if you are of the age to go clubbing at night, you'll love the Hamptons. Young teens (especially boys) though would likely be better off at the Jersey Shore if you are staying overnight.

To further confuse the issue - if you are looking for a day trip (not overnight though) out of Manhattan to a very nice beach you can reach without a car - you might consider Fire Island. You would take the LIRR to Sayville and then a very short ferry accross to Ocean Beach on Fire Island. Ocean Beach has cute shops and restaurants and is family friendly. You'd have to decide if the time spent getting there (about 2 hours 1 way) would be worth is for a day trip though. No arcades or attractions per se - but is a nice beach you can reach without a car.

We haven't booked our plane tickets yet. They were $130 Wed and when I went to purchase them on Friday they were $250 which still isn't bad but much higher so I'm waiting to see if the price drops again.

I THINK.... we may just STAY in Manhattan and make a day trip to Coney Island and then maybe another day trip to Long Island if the kids are dying for the water again.. we will have a 4 day cruise during our 10 days up there so maybe just a day to Coney Island will suffice.. I had the kids write their top 3 things they wanted to do while we were up there last night and it was interesting what they came up with..

So...

Treasury Tour and day in Financial District/Chinatown

Shopping, Conway & Dinner in Cellar at Macy's

Lion King & Cheesecake from Juniors

Madame Trussads Wax Museum (AGAIN! ;))

Day In Central Park

Coney Island

HOW"S THAT SOUND? Lol... OH I LOVE NYC! I can't wait to wake up and going into a little store to get my everything bagel with creme cheese and bacon, a diet dr. Pepper with a straw and watch the city wake up.. anyone know the link to the NYC webcam? ;)

martha, no offense to the people of the Jersey Shore and LI but I think you either need to make this a Manhattan vacation or a beach vacation.

By trying to combine the two, you are going to make everyone miserable.

Do you really want to lug beach chairs, coolers, towels, etc on the train or public transportation for a couple of hours each way? You are going to have worn out cranky sunburned kids who want to sleep.

I'm not sure you are thinking the logistics of this all the way through.

Manhattan will really thrill your kids and they will probably get enough sun and fun on the cruise.

There is more than enough to stimulate and excite them for a week in Manhattan alone.

martha, no offense to the people of the Jersey Shore and LI but I think you either need to make this a Manhattan vacation or a beach vacation.

By trying to combine the two, you are going to make everyone miserable.

Do you really want to lug beach chairs, coolers, towels, etc on the train or public transportation for a couple of hours each way? You are going to have worn out cranky sunburned kids who want to sleep.

I'm not sure you are thinking the logistics of this all the way through.

Manhattan will really thrill your kids and they will probably get enough sun and fun on the cruise.

There is more than enough to stimulate and excite them for a week in Manhattan alone.

This is all true and darn good advice. You can entertain ANYONE endlessly in Manhattan. The beach is a different place unless you have more time.

Archived