Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

I guess that I am totally different from most people on this thread. I go on a cruise to relax and have a good time. I take all NORMAL precautions such as using hand sanitizer, washing my hands frequently, etc., but I would never go as far as to take masks and sit and worry about all the POSSIBILIIES of things that could go wrong. I don't understand why some of you would even comtemplate going on a cruise when you have these thoughts swirling around in your head. How can you enjoy yourselves?

Go and have a good time. If you want to worry, stay at home in your own controlled environment and don't spread your fears to others.

What we plan to do is bring gloves (like what food preparers wear) to use when at the buffet lines!!! That seems to be the connection to how I got the Swine Flu...we had a buffet and we all touched the same serving utensils. I was talking to some of the others who also got sick over the weekend and that made sense! I will bring a long facial masks as a "precaution" and I NEVER go without my Lysol spray can!

Enjoy yourselves anyhow! Oh keep tissues, I use those when I have to open doors!

Exactly!

Its interesting that a majority of CC members feel no real concern over the H1N1 flu this fall. Bookings do not reflect any concern from H1, rather any concern for bookings follows the economy. I've had discussions with members who live directly by ports and scoff at me for my concern. They fail to comprehend the 3-5 hour flights most have to take to get to a port to sail is the more real concern. Our return flight from FLL last May my wife and I were in the very last row of the plane. Completely surrounded across front and side a group of young folks coughed and hacked for 2-3 hours and we had no escape. Fortunately no problems........but how can you book a trip this fall with all the warnings of the WHO and our own countries concerns? Everyone will be responsible........right! My wifes first day back to school a 4th grader came to school with 103 temp. and in bad shape. two days later H1N1 was confirmed. The problem gets worse because those around us don't take it seriously and could care less if they or their spawn expose us all. I'm ready to book for my next cruise........but not until I see people get a clue about this problem.

I'm traveling pregnant, and pregnant women have been disproportionately hit by H1N1 - only 1% of the population is pregnant at any given time, but around 6% of the deaths from H1N1 have been pregnant women. I also have asthma, and those with existing respiratory issues seem to be more likely to have problems. So, I'm more concerned about it than I would be the "normal" flu.

I take exception to the dismissive comments. You deal with your concerns in your own way, I'll deal in mine. I'd be stupid not to worry about being confined to a ship with thousands of people in constant contact, given my conditions. I guess just can the attitude, like somehow you're a "weanie" if you're nervous about a potentially fatal illness.

I'm traveling pregnant, and pregnant women have been disproportionately hit by H1N1 - only 1% of the population is pregnant at any given time, but around 6% of the deaths from H1N1 have been pregnant women. . .

It might be that pregnant woman are part of a larger group that have been hit disproportionately... People who have been to the Dr's office or Hospital.

I don't have the H1N1 stats - but I know the #1 place to catch the regular flu is in the hospital which is part of the reason it kills so many elderly. I came across this fact when it killed both my grandmother and her sister some years later. Both went into the hospital for something other than the flu and died from it.

I think the thing that is bothering many people about H1N1 is that it is NOT killing babies and the elderly, like most flus, but rather it is killing vital, healthy young people and adults. However, having said that, the regular flu will kill many, many more people this year than the H1N1. I spoke to my doctor about it, and she said that since we are planning to cruise, we should probably get BOTH vaccines, as soon as they become available. There is nothing paranoid in being prepared. If I were going to South America, I would certainly get a Malaria shot. Better safe than sorry. I'm not going to waste my cruise being afraid, tho. Heck, my worst fear is that everyone ELSE will be paranoid, and we'll get on the ship and just sit out in the pacific ocean for 8 days! But if that happens, I'll just make the best of it! :eek:

Nothing like a deliberately obtuse poster. This flu is UNUSUAL. Can you hear my eyes rolling, WeBeCruisin'?? :rolleyes:

And, speaking of obtuse, did any of my sarcasm drip on you and cause acid burns? :rolleyes:

I've been following the flu's "personality" rather closely ever since we arrived at Cabo San Lucas and were told that Mexico was "closed" on our April 26 Mexican Riviera cruise on the Splendor which had six sea days and only one port..... San Francisco..... where it was 53 degrees and rainy.

Just found out from work(local Board of Education) that both flu vaccines(whatever strain they're predicting for this season plus the H1N1) will be available for employees in September(normal strain) and six weeks later in October(H1N1). I signed up immediately to receive both vaccines. I have been getting the flu vaccine for about 10 years ever since I came down with the flu one year and thought(and wished) I was going to die. I have never been so ill for such a long period of time. My husband literally had to pick me up out of bed to carry me to the bathroom. Looking back there was a bright side....I lost over 12 lbs. in about 2 weeks.

Just found out from work(local Board of Education) that both flu vaccines(whatever strain they're predicting for this season plus the H1N1) will be available for employees in September(normal strain) and six weeks later in October(H1N1). I signed up immediately to receive both vaccines. I have been getting the flu vaccine for about 10 years ever since I came down with the flu one year and thought(and wished) I was going to die. I have never been so ill for such a long period of time. My husband literally had to pick me up out of bed to carry me to the bathroom. Looking back there was a bright side....I lost over 12 lbs. in about 2 weeks.

I had a similar experience with the flu.:( Never again, I hope.

And' date=' speaking of obtuse, did any of my sarcasm drip on you and cause acid burns? :rolleyes:

I've been following the flu's "personality" rather closely ever since we arrived at Cabo San Lucas and were told that Mexico was "closed" on our April 26 Mexican Riviera cruise on the Splendor which had six sea days and only one port..... San Francisco..... where it was 53 degrees and rainy.[/quote']

We all know when we go on a cruise that ANYTHING can happen, and often does! Sucks to have your itinerary changed, but still, 6 days floating around an ocean beats the heck out of 6 days behind a desk.....;)

We all know when we go on a cruise that ANYTHING can happen, and often does! Sucks to have your itinerary changed, but still, 6 days floating around an ocean beats the heck out of 6 days behind a desk.....;)

We had a great time with a great bunch of people! Ironically, on about the second day out, my roomie said she would love sometime to do a week's cruise to nowhere. She pretty much got her wish, so I think it's probably more than fair for everyone to blame the Swine Flu on her. :D

Its interesting that a majority of CC members feel no real concern over the H1N1 flu this fall. Bookings do not reflect any concern from H1, rather any concern for bookings follows the economy. I've had discussions with members who live directly by ports and scoff at me for my concern. They fail to comprehend the 3-5 hour flights most have to take to get to a port to sail is the more real concern. Our return flight from FLL last May my wife and I were in the very last row of the plane. Completely surrounded across front and side a group of young folks coughed and hacked for 2-3 hours and we had no escape. Fortunately no problems........but how can you book a trip this fall with all the warnings of the WHO and our own countries concerns? Everyone will be responsible........right! My wifes first day back to school a 4th grader came to school with 103 temp. and in bad shape. two days later H1N1 was confirmed. The problem gets worse because those around us don't take it seriously and could care less if they or their spawn expose us all. I'm ready to book for my next cruise........but not until I see people get a clue about this problem.

I've been watching it very closely since April. We had a 49 year old woman die in my county of H1N1 in June and the only underlying health condition she had is she was very sick with the flu for about a week before finally going to the ER and she died the next day. We have not had anymore deaths but I take the H1N1 seriously and this report is from yesterday

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090829/hl_afp/healthfluwho_20090829132344

I'm traveling pregnant, and pregnant women have been disproportionately hit by H1N1 - only 1% of the population is pregnant at any given time, but around 6% of the deaths from H1N1 have been pregnant women. I also have asthma, and those with existing respiratory issues seem to be more likely to have problems. So, I'm more concerned about it than I would be the "normal" flu.

I take exception to the dismissive comments. You deal with your concerns in your own way, I'll deal in mine. I'd be stupid not to worry about being confined to a ship with thousands of people in constant contact, given my conditions. I guess just can the attitude, like somehow you're a "weanie" if you're nervous about a potentially fatal illness.

I understand your concerns and You may want to watch the webcast that was made for pregnant women about the H1N1 at

http://flu.gov/

Archived