Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

Shouldn't the port tax difference be refunded at least, if the cruise changes itinery? Our cruise could go from 4 ports to 3. :confused:

Serangel71--yes, the agent said the port tax would be refunded to my credit card immediately. The balance is credit for a future cruise.

According to the news in Baton Rouge, there are now a total of 7 confirmed cases in Louisiana. The girl that was on the cruise, they suspect her father had it as well but never went to the doctor and has since gotten over it. None of the Louisiana cases are hospitalized but are being treated with antivirals, so I guess thats a good sign.

Yeah.. I hope the cruise lines are taking necessary precautions since there have been a few cases with people who were on cruises.

carnival has no updates on their site since 5-1,....our final payment is due 6-21 for a cruise in august...what to do???

Their site was updated today... try refreshing their page, or delete cookies, etc.

We are scheduled to set sail from NO on July 30. This is a 4 day, and I'm worried that it will get cancelled. How concerned should I be at this point? What are they doing for the people whose cruises are getting canceled? Could we change ships? The Holiday is still sailing a 4 day. This is my mom's, my 11 year old son's, and my 78 year old grandmother's first cruise. My aunt is also going, and she is an experienced cruiser. I'm not sure they could handle a 7 day. Is there a huge difference between the Fantasy and the Holdiay? Sorry for all of the rapid fire questions! I've not been concerned until today.

Thanks!

thnx now its there, well, I guess we ll wait till 6-21 deadline for final payment and guess just postpone our 4 day to ensenada till next yr, we are not going to pay 3 times the price for a simple 45 minute ferry ride to catalina from L. beach to be on a cruise ship, its starting to be disappointing if it happens..oh well..

Here are the details, beatriz22 and everyone:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3199

Interesting...thanks for posting. Looks like I'm going to Grand Turk, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman. Anyone know of good excursions? I was really looking forward to the Mayan ruins in Belize but I guess that will have to wait.

Carnival is quite a disappointment to me! We just returned Sat am from what was supposed to be a Mexican cruise. Tues the 28th, we were sailing due south from New orleans & at 11 am, we changed to due east...the captain announced at 4pm that we werent going to mexico, but only to key west...a $20 refund of our prepaid port taxes was credited to our sail & sign acct. That was it! no onboard credit, no credit for a future cruise...just about 5 hours in port at key west & the next day sitting in the gulf.

Some of our family members had paid for passports. We certainly didnt get the cruise we paid for & Carnival has been jerks about it. I called their guest services # today, they said 'there will be no further compensation' SORRY, where was the first compensation.

I heard Princess was offering a 50% discount on a future cruise.this was a "good will gesture" A on board credit on a future cruise would be appreciated.

I know it wasnt Carnivals fault, but they dont seem to be concerned about retaining current customers.

as we got off the ship sat am, the passengers getting on said they were given 2 extra days of sailing and 3 ports to stop at.

Yeah, i feel cheated!

Carnival lost my future business, and i am going to tell everybody i can how rude they are

I feel your pain. I had a friend who I have known for 38 years supposed to arrive today to Cozumel on her cruise on a Carnival ship. Looks like Carnival is rerouting cruises all the way into June. We won't die of the flu but people may start dying of starvation before then. Cozumel is as quiet as I have seen it since Wilma and before that 9/11. I just don't understand why they need to reroute ships 6 weeks from now. Everything is supposed to reopen here on Wed. and I didn't see one sick person going to Cancun today ... by ferry, taxi, truck or bus. We want you guys back! Hopefully it can happen soon.

Am I understanding this right? Carnival's website says that we should be able to cancel with no penalty within 24 hours if a port is cancelled. Here is the link. Why are they not honoring that in this case?

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx

I called Carnival today because I wanted to cancel my cruise. Even though I brought up this port cancellation policy, they would not let me cancel and get a full refund. They said "without a penalty" does not mean refund. They gave me a refund of 50% of my cruise cost plus 50% of my airport transfer plus all Taxes and I will be getting a 100% refund from shore excursions booked through Carnival. The remaining 50% of my cruise and airport transfer had to be a future cruise credit.

I just got off the phone with a Carnival Rep (was on hold for 50 minutes) and was told that though Carnival does have a new itinerary for my trip -- now 7 days instead of 5 and leaving 6/6/09 instead of 6/8/09 and going to Key West, Nassau and Freeport -- they however cannot tell me the actual schedule. When we will be in which port and what time, etc.

They told me I would not be able to find out this information until I board the ship.

This makes it impossible to make any arrangements ahead of time or plan anything. I am not upset with any of the changes but this unknown itinerary just does not seem right.

Don't they have to reserve their spot at the various ports ahead of time?

Was scheduled 5/21 on Ecstacy (a 4 day). Website listed at 3pm that it was cancelled.

Although I've heard that we can only get a future cruise credit, this site says otherwise:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/Travel_Advisory.aspx?icid=CC_HMPG_21

With four and five-day cruises from Galveston and New Orleans that are being converted to seven-day voyages, those guests may opt to receive their refund in the form of a future cruise credit or money back.

Please note the last two words of this paragraph.

My PVP said that he can only credit me, has given me an extension # to get refund posted. I was on hold for 3 hours on one phone, the agent answered and said "hello, hello...hanging up because I can't hear you." arrrgh!!!!

I am persistant here because the earlier policy of Carnival states that you need to contact them within 24 hrs of cancellation for a refund or you'll be credited.

Yes, I'm on hold again! I have to work in the morning and will be unable to call then, hoping these folks haven't quit for the day.

I'm trying to cancel 5 cabins/10 family members. I'd love to reschedule but this is a family cruise, 2 of the 20 yr olds start college classes 6/2 and the other 20 year old is going to the USMC that week (this was a bit of a goodbye cruise). Because we wanted to do something as a family and every resort in driving distance is booked due to memorial day wkend we did manage to find a houseboat to rent in HotSprings,AK. I do need my $7K back to rent this boat though...I continue to hold.

By the way, no pvp call or email to notify me of cancellation, I found it myself on the website.

Sorry so long, not complaining, just putting my info/experience out there. Good Luck y'all.

Carnival is quite a disappointment to me! We just returned Sat am from what was supposed to be a Mexican cruise. Tues the 28th, we were sailing due south from New orleans & at 11 am, we changed to due east...the captain announced at 4pm that we werent going to mexico, but only to key west...a $20 refund of our prepaid port taxes was credited to our sail & sign acct. That was it! no onboard credit, no credit for a future cruise...just about 5 hours in port at key west & the next day sitting in the gulf.

Some of our family members had paid for passports. We certainly didnt get the cruise we paid for & Carnival has been jerks about it. I called their guest services # today, they said 'there will be no further compensation' SORRY, where was the first compensation.

I heard Princess was offering a 50% discount on a future cruise.this was a "good will gesture" A on board credit on a future cruise would be appreciated.

I know it wasnt Carnivals fault, but they dont seem to be concerned about retaining current customers.

as we got off the ship sat am, the passengers getting on said they were given 2 extra days of sailing and 3 ports to stop at.

Yeah, i feel cheated!

Carnival lost my future business, and i am going to tell everybody i can how rude they are

We were on the same cruise and I called their C.S. dept. today- I was told no refund or discount on future cruises - I asked if she thought it was fair and she said yes so I said then why are you changing to a 7 day ,on future booked 5 day cruises, that was the same exact cruise - her response is that they had time to do the change but didnt have time on our cruise -BULL SH-T - I told her that would be my last Carnival cruise

I called Carnival today because I wanted to cancel my cruise. Even though I brought up this port cancellation policy, they would not let me cancel and get a full refund. They said "without a penalty" does not mean refund. They gave me a refund of 50% of my cruise cost plus 50% of my airport transfer plus all Taxes and I will be getting a 100% refund from shore excursions booked through Carnival. The remaining 50% of my cruise and airport transfer had to be a future cruise credit.

Really? And did you ask the rep to explain the penalty to you as stated? The penalty plainly states no refund of deposit from such and such day; 50% during such and such day - You need to go higher up immediately. Those that sqawk the loudess should get results. We did not have any problems when the hurricane hit and only 1 port was altered. Carnival is the only one who has this written clause no cancellation penalty so call them back and speak to the supervisor and manager and have them read the clause and have the dates in front of you what it plainly says for cancellation penalty. Royal did not have this at all yet just gave us a full refund since they changed all the ports.

I just got off the phone with a Carnival Rep (was on hold for 50 minutes) and was told that though Carnival does have a new itinerary for my trip -- now 7 days instead of 5 and leaving 6/6/09 instead of 6/8/09 and going to Key West, Nassau and Freeport -- they however cannot tell me the actual schedule. When we will be in which port and what time, etc.

They told me I would not be able to find out this information until I board the ship.

This makes it impossible to make any arrangements ahead of time or plan anything. I am not upset with any of the changes but this unknown itinerary just does not seem right.

Don't they have to reserve their spot at the various ports ahead of time?

try looking at the 11/14 sailing of the Triumph its runs a 7 day eastern out of NOLA going to key west, freeport & nassau. It might not be exact or offical for your cruise but its better nothing.

Woot woot! Just got off the phone with Carnival (see my novel above) and got my full refund! Should be here in 7-10 days...phew!

Good for you! If the rest of my family hadn't made the decision to stay and go on the new itinerary, I would have been as persistent as you and gotten my CASH!

Now I'm hoping to make lemonade with a nice, upgraded balcony room.

Does anyone have any advice?... I am on the 7/4 sailing of the Holiday and my final payment is due TODAY. The latest update on Carnival's website states that there will be no stops in Mexico through mid-June, but they only have an itinerary for the Holiday posted through mid-May. I wonder what that means??? Any guesses? I don't mind heading to Key West and Freeport, but don't want to make final payment to have the cruise cancelled or converted to a cruise that I can't take (similar to the New Orleans/Galveston situation) & then be stuck. Thanks....

I'm so sorry to hear that some of you will be missing out on Cozumel. I was JUST there right before the swine flu thing hit and I'm fine. I love Cozumel. I hope this thing clears up quickly. I know the locals depend on vacationers and cruisers.

Heels_fan, I'd go ahead and make the final payment. IF the cruise is cancelled, I'm sure Carnival will give you a full refund or some kind of credit. Have you contacted your PVP about it or travel agent?

Archived