Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

My wife was looking forward to that too. We were also planning on doing the rhino tour in Costa Maya.I'll have to start looking into what there is to do on St Marten and St. Thomas.

You will love St. Marten!!!! As we had never been there before (and it was our first cruise), we took a ship excursion tour of the island, then a beach break that included a locker and lunch. Loved the beach there!

Hey, sounds good to me. What a stupid comment for him to make. Did you see how they tried to spin it last night. "OH, he only ment sick people shouldn't go on airplanes."..lol

To quote that great orator Forrest Gump, "stupid is as stupid does". He should be sent to mExico City and live in a Subway for a month.

My question is if you get a day at sea where you should have gone to Mexico, is Carnival giving you a shipboard credit for that day? You will end up spending money on the ship that day. It is not Carnival's fault that this happened but when I book my cruises, I choose the ports I want to go to. Now you cannot go there, I would think they should give an onboard credit.

So, if you go on the Splendor they are going to give you 1/2 your money back and also 1/2 for a future cruise. Why would they do this? It was my understanding that if you do not go at all they would just give you full credit for a future cruise.

Cindy

Cindy,

No money back and 1/2 off future cruise if you go on the Splendor. If you do not accept the new itinerary they will give you full credit for a future cruise to be used by 12/31/10.

My question is if you get a day at sea where you should have gone to Mexico, is Carnival giving you a shipboard credit for that day? You will end up spending money on the ship that day. It is not Carnival's fault that this happened but when I book my cruises, I choose the ports I want to go to. Now you cannot go there, I would think they should give an onboard credit.

Where Carnival has listed the new itineraries, there is a link next to each sailing that says "Click for details." For my cruise (Conquest 5/10/09), the details said we would get a $20 OBC for skipping Cozumel. If your cruise is listed, check that link.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/itinerary_updates.aspx

Your understanding is correct. This 50/50 deal was the figment of someones imagination. Carnival has said no such deal was ever offered.

Keep in mind that this "figment of someone's imagination" is exactly what I was told by two different PVP's at Carnival right after the new itinerary was announced. I am not the only one on this board that was told that. They only began backpedalling late that night.

I am thrilled to be going on the Splendor cruise this Sunday, however. I was just upgraded from a balcony 8E to a suite 11 category because the suite is being offered for a lower price than I paid for the balcony cabin. You need to call to be upgraded - it is not automatic.

My wife was looking forward to that too. We were also planning on doing the rhino tour in Costa Maya.I'll have to start looking into what there is to do on St Marten and St. Thomas.

We did the America's Cup sailing excursion when we went to St. Martin a couple of years back. Not sure if it's offered as an excursion on your cruise, but we loved it - different and lots of fun.

Can comeone tell me if I'm understanding this correctly... All the other cruiselines have posted changes from now until June 14th BUT Carnival has only posted changes for next week?????

So, if I'm booked for the Liberty June 13th sailing, I just have to sit tight until a week before to find out if we're doing Cozumel that week or not? Also, last night I tried to book a cabin for that sailing (to see if the prices have gone up or down) and the website told me it was not available to please call Carnival direct. Is that because Carnival has no idea what the heck they're doing from now until who knows????

Thnx for helping me with this mess... I don't really care if they switch Cozumel to Roatan (which is what they did for the Liberty sailing next week) I just don't want to stay/be on a ship with 3 straight sea days...

Sooooooooooo confusing....

Strange, I just called to confirm my room on the May 10 Valor b/c the change in port doesn't bother me and the CA said that nothing would be offered in terms of OBC or future cruises, the fact that Carnival is able to go to Key West instead of Cozumel is good enough. Oh well, Key West is cool with me.

Have you heard any news of future western sailings being switched other than 5/2/09? We are sailing on 5/16/09 and I have not heard anything.

Thanks!

No, I haven't heard anything that far out yet. Hopefully this all blows over in the next couple weeks.

Carnival site says that if you have a sailing departing before may 11th you must cancel by may 4th....so I called....they cannot cancel and change my sailing until they announce the may 10th sailing itinerary which they MAY do on the 4th. Hmm. That's a bit fuzzy.

I don't think $75 onboard credit is going to get me on a ship to 40 degree canada when I booked a trip to 80 degree Mexico. I know itineraries can change but they should be somewhat comparable or offer me more than the cost of a drink with an umbrella per day.

d39jweb-I'm with you. We are currently scheduled on the May 17th Splendor, but have no interest whatsoever in traveling north. We live on the cool Central Coast of CA and the last thing we want is colder weather. This is (or should I say, will hopefully be...) our first cruise, which we planned for our 20th wedding anniversary, and needless to say we are very disappointed.

What I think some people lack to understand is that for the most part, even though their itineraries have changed, they are likely still going to someplace similar in climate. Here on the west coast, we have no similar options. My hope is that Carnival will agree to rebook us at the same category on a future cruise on the Splendor without any additional costs to us. I don't want the full credit towards a future cruise because I booked at a very low rate including our military discount. I have no guarantees of being able to get that rate again and cannot afford to pay much more than we did. At this point, I'd rather sail to nowhere in warm waters than to go with the new itinerary. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks to everyone on here for all the valuable information. This cruise virgin needs all the info she can get!

Can comeone tell me if I'm understanding this correctly... All the other cruiselines have posted changes from now until June 14th BUT Carnival has only posted changes for next week?????

So, if I'm booked for the Liberty June 13th sailing, I just have to sit tight until a week before to find out if we're doing Cozumel that week or not? Also, last night I tried to book a cabin for that sailing (to see if the prices have gone up or down) and the website told me it was not available to please call Carnival direct. Is that because Carnival has no idea what the heck they're doing from now until who knows????

Thnx for helping me with this mess... I don't really care if they switch Cozumel to Roatan (which is what they did for the Liberty sailing next week) I just don't want to stay/be on a ship with 3 straight sea days...

Sooooooooooo confusing....

Roatan is ok with me (plus Jamacia and Grand Cayman), but then we have reservations for Nachi Cocum in Cozumel ($49 down) that we are uncertain if we should cancel that or not....guess we wait and see! Daughter and I looked up the May 30th Liberty cruise to Western Caribbean last night and Orbits, Travelocity and Expedia all still had Cozumel listed as one of the stops?

Is the $50-75/person credit only for the 1st two passengers or for all passengers in the cabin? The announcement on the website says per passenger, but I was just told by my TA that it's for 1st two only. That seems a little misleading on the Carnival announcement if that's the case.

You will love St. Marten!!!! As we had never been there before (and it was our first cruise), we took a ship excursion tour of the island, then a beach break that included a locker and lunch. Loved the beach there!

One nice thing is you can see both the Dutch side and the French side of the island.

If you really want a great beach, take the ferry ( about 20 minute ride) over to Anguilla and go over to Shoal Bay for a fantastic beach. We lived on Anguilla for the better part of a year. Great places to eat at Shoal Bay as well. Madearmins, Elodia's come to mind. Many folks go to Scilly Cay (not at Shoal Bay) but we always sat at Smitty's and ate lobster at half the price and watched the folks try to navigate back from Scilly Cay after all the rum punches. They make 'em really strong

Archived