Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

Don't know if anybody has posted this yet, but it looks like Carnival is planning on keeping the temporary itineraries in place at least through May. Look at Key West's calendar showing what ships are in port and when - it has been updated to show Holiday, Valor, etc. stopping throughout the month of May:

http://www.keywestcity.com/egov/docs/1241104260_179565.htm

Thanks for posting this - happy to see the Freedom not their on our sailing leaving next week... hopefully it stays like this. I'll be on my cruise if it's sailing, and i won't be complaining about whatever port replaces Cozumel, but Key West is the port I would like to visit least based on all the alternatives people are throwing out there.

only 7 confirmed deaths in Mexico???? Population of Mexico City 22 million. Whats up with that!

And only 100+ cases in the US with a population of over 350 million, less than 10 hospitalized and everyone is recovering or recovering. Once you discount the spring breakers which are over half of these, you probably had 3 times as many cases of measles outbreaking in the country in the past week and we're not in a pandemic over that!!

I'm for putting Joe Biden on a plane and in the subways 24/7 to act as the "canary in the coal mine". If he doesn't get sick call the whole thing off!:rolleyes:

I'm for putting Joe Biden on a plane and in the subways 24/7 to act as the "canary in the coal mine". If he doesn't get sick call the whole thing off!:rolleyes:

But then he would actually have a purpose as opposed to being the Vice President.

So, if you go on the Splendor they are going to give you 1/2 your money back and also 1/2 for a future cruise. Why would they do this? It was my understanding that if you do not go at all they would just give you full credit for a future cruise.

Cindy

So, if you go on the Splendor they are going to give you 1/2 your money back and also 1/2 for a future cruise. Why would they do this? It was my understanding that if you do not go at all they would just give you full credit for a future cruise.

Cindy

Your understanding is correct. This 50/50 deal was the figment of someones imagination. Carnival has said no such deal was ever offered.

Thank you I thought so. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I have to agree with a post before. I tried to change my cruise to anther ship so I could be pro active and change air lines and I had it all figured out and Carnival said no I had to wait. I was willing to continue to cruise just on another ship.

I know by the time they make a change the other cruise will be booked.

It just seems like they would work with us.

Cindy

I'm thrilled with the new update... of all the places we could have diverted to instead of Cozumel, I was really hoping it would be Belize. YAY!!

And for the record, even before this I thought Carnival was doing a great job at handling this situation - which is quite out of everyone's control.

I hope everyone else on future sailings is happy with the changes.

My dh and I cancel the elation on May 3rd and are schduled for may 17 on the splendor.

When I canceled the elation they only gave me credit equal to my fare on the elation.

They told me there is a good chance we will not be going to mexico. I just didn't want to sail in circles around catalina island.

And only 100+ cases in the US with a population of over 350 million, less than 10 hospitalized and everyone is recovering or recovering. Once you discount the spring breakers which are over half of these, you probably had 3 times as many cases of measles outbreaking in the country in the past week and we're not in a pandemic over that!!

Hey, sounds good to me. What a stupid comment for him to make. Did you see how they tried to spin it last night. "OH, he only ment sick people shouldn't go on airplanes."..lol

I'm thrilled with the new update... of all the places we could have diverted to instead of Cozumel, I was really hoping it would be Belize. YAY!!

And for the record, even before this I thought Carnival was doing a great job at handling this situation - which is quite out of everyone's control.

I hope everyone else on future sailings is happy with the changes.

Looks like our June 13th Glory cruise might get switched to the Eastern itinerary. I was really looking forward to the Mayan ruins excursion in Belize but I guess that will have to wait for another cruise.

Looks like our June 13th Glory cruise might get switched to the Eastern itinerary. I was really looking forward to the Mayan ruins excursion in Belize but I guess that will have to wait for another cruise.

We were super excited about the Mexican Cooking excursion in Cozumel, but that'll have to wait until later too. Oh well, no big deal.

We were super excited about the Mexican Cooking excursion in Cozumel, but that'll have to wait until later too. Oh well, no big deal.

My wife was looking forward to that too. We were also planning on doing the rhino tour in Costa Maya.I'll have to start looking into what there is to do on St Marten and St. Thomas.

Hopefully, Biden will wash his foot first with that sanitizer BEFORE he puts it in his mouth next time. :eek:

They are giving us a $20 credit which is really a slap in the face when they are giving a $120 credit if you buy a cruise for the same 7-day price I bought mine on the web site. I can't reschedule, this is my one and only honeymoon. If this is all they are going to do, then we'll choose someone else next time.

Hopefully, Biden will wash his foot first with that sanitizer BEFORE he puts it in his mouth. :eek:

Are we talking Swine Flu or hoof in mouth? Actually my fear is Biden is like the little kid who is asked if they can keep a secret or not. :(

Hi sbinbc--I spent another 30 minutes waiting on hold this morning and finally got my situation worked out. Since I did not like the alternative ports for the May 3 Splendor sailing, I will receive a full credit to be used for a future cruise. The credit must be used by 12/31/10. The agent told me I could only get a 50% credit toward a future cruise only if I went on the Splendor. No one was getting a 50% refund on that cruise. I canceled because in my opinion the new itinerary was not a fair exchange for the amount I paid for the Mexican Riviera. Secondly, I am an AZ resident that lives here because of the heat <G> and would not enjoy the colder weather that is expected next week in Seattle, SFO and Victoria. Brrr! We Arizonans are nuts for the heat!

The agent did say there are a lot of new itineraries that will be coming out in the fall and I am optimistic that once my husband comes back from overseas we'll be able to go on our long awaited cruise.

I live less than an hour from SF and would do the new itinerary and take the 50% off on a future cruise in a heartbeat! I am booked on the Splendor but not until Sept. I'm sure many people don't want to do the new itinerary so I'm glad Carnival is giving them a choice.

Yes, it usually is cold, especially at night but something about the city is special, SF. I grew up in the SF bayarea and my parents took us to SF almost every weekend when I was a child. I don't know what pier the ship will be docking but it will be at Fisherman's Wharf. Lots of shops with very cheap sweatshirts if you get too cold, I've bought them a few times! LOL

From Pier 39, you look to your right and see the Bay Bridge, look to the left and see the Golden Gate Bridge, what a beautiful sight in my eyes.

Too bad we are expecting rain this weekend for those who are on the Splendor now but some things we have no control of.

JMHO.........YMMV ;)

Why are they STILL NOT announcing the itinerary for the May 10th Splendor sailing? Am I missing it somewhere? :confused:

I'm an eternal optimist and I keep thinking there is still a sliver of hope that they might still go to Mexico, at least by the time the 17th rolls around. But how frustrating for the May 10th sailing???

So, if you accept the new itinerary for the May 3rd cruise, you get the $75 OBC and 50% off a future cruise? Is this something you have to call about? It's not mentioned in the letter people are posting. I would love more details.

Me too. I saw nothing about the 50% off of a future cruise in the letter, and it was not mentioned when I called. And obviously I didn't ask about it!

Hey, sounds good to me. What a stupid comment for him to make. Did you see how they tried to spin it last night. "OH, he only ment sick people shouldn't go on airplanes."..lol

I have a feeling this administration is going to spend the next 3 1/2 years trying to spin the Bidenisms :)

Have you heard any news of future western sailings being switched other than 5/2/09? We are sailing on 5/16/09 and I have not heard anything.

Thanks!

Archived