Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

Looks like Splendor will be returning to San Francisco on 5/4/09, 5/18/09, and 5/25/09:

http://www.sfgov.org/site/port_page.asp?id=61732

This does not make me happy. Unless they are just reserving a spot or something, they should tell us the itinerary change.

Well, if I have to make lemonade here...Does anyone know anything about excursions in Victoria???

This does not make me happy. Unless they are just reserving a spot or something, they should tell us the itinerary change.

Well, if I have to make lemonade here...Does anyone know anything about excursions in Victoria???

Looking for that as well. San Francisco we are renting bikes and biking the bridge. Seattle we have kids there so will spend the day with them. Victoria we are up in the air! If nothing else, we will rent bikes again and explore on our own

Just saw that they've posted the itinerary for the May 10 Splendor. The ports are now Victoria and Vancouver with $100 onboard credit.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/pdf/SL051009gst.pdf

Just called my TA and they called Carnival - no other discounts or promotions or upgrades for the May 10th Splendor sailing..... If anybody hears anything different - let me know please :)

Just saw that they've posted the itinerary for the May 10 Splendor. The ports are now Victoria and Vancouver with $100 onboard credit.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/pdf/SL051009gst.pdf

Originally Posted by krogerlady viewpost.gif

Here is a cool map....

http://www.vancouver.com/city_tour/

Here is a neat site for the vancouver area thanks to krogerlady, we are sailing out of vancouver on the 6th for Glacier Bay, but will be in the area 3 days prior for site seeing there.

Might help you get around Vancouver :)

Hopefully, Biden will wash his foot first with that sanitizer BEFORE he puts it in his mouth next time. :eek:

Somebody needs to put their foot up his rump, but then he is so full of it, they may subject themselves to e-coli:rolleyes:

I'm sorry guys, but it was 91 degrees here in Tucson. I welcome canada.

I hope to bring that cold weather back to Tucson.

I just wish carnival would make a statement through june like the other cruise lines. We could start planning tours or renting cars. We checked in Vancover and rental cars run around 30.00 dollars.

It looks like this flu thing is going on four the next 2-3 weeks.:cool:

Just called my TA and they called Carnival - no other discounts or promotions or upgrades for the May 10th Splendor sailing..... If anybody hears anything different - let me know please :)

I am booked on the May 10 Splendor, and after seeing people booking balconies for $299 pp, I called to see if they would give me a free upgrade to keep my booking. She refused even though people are booking inside cabins for $199 pp when we paid over $600.

So, we're most likely switching to the Mariner of the Seas. We have non refundable plane tickets so have to keep the dates and have to go to LAX, but keeping our cruise credit and rebooking on the Mariner for less than we paid for Splendor makes more financial sense for us. Plus we get 3 ports. Too bad she wouldn't uprade us though...we would have stayed with the Splendor for a balcony.

I am booked on the May 10 Splendor, and after seeing people booking balconies for $299 pp, I called to see if they would give me a free upgrade to keep my booking. She refused even though people are booking inside cabins for $199 pp when we paid over $600.

So, we're most likely switching to the Mariner of the Seas. We have non refundable plane tickets so have to keep the dates and have to go to LAX, but keeping our cruise credit and rebooking on the Mariner for less than we paid for Splendor makes more financial sense for us. Plus we get 3 ports. Too bad she wouldn't uprade us though...we would have stayed with the Splendor for a balcony.

Yeah, but Carnival won't let you outright cancel, with a full monetary refund. They will take whatever you paid, and just apply it to another Carnival cruise that you MUST take by December 31, 2010.

Yeah, but Carnival won't let you outright cancel, with a full monetary refund. They will take whatever you paid, and just apply it to another Carnival cruise that you MUST take by December 31, 2010.

Right, which is why I said "cruise credit" in my post. That's fine with us, our next cruise will be free.

Lainy-You`re usually the Confus-or (Leisurely tube ride)

Go Noles!

Nic`s Honeymoon Valor cruz is skipping Coz an going to the Conch Republic next week!

My son is hoping for Key West. Glory tomorrow is doing the Eastern itineray - so hoping ours does that - we were to go to Coz & Costa Maya besides Nassau & Belize. Actually as long as the ship sails - we are golden. 14 DAYS!!!!!

:confused:Thanks Laura for all the info. regarding the flu....30 of us leaving 5/4/09 in the Inspiracion from Tampa going on a sewing cruise.....will be in Grand Cayman for two days instead of Cozumel. Good choice....

My cruise leaves in 24 days.... I am thinking about getting trip insurance tomorrow. :cool:

(Never got it before, never needed it before.)

We have been cruising since 1978 & this is the first time for insurance. Figured my # might be up so I did - am glad I did now.

My son is hoping for Key West. Glory tomorrow is doing the Eastern itineray - so hoping ours does that - we were to go to Coz & Costa Maya besides Nassau & Belize. Actually as long as the ship sails - we are golden. 14 DAYS!!!!!

Great attitude...I'm trying to feel the same way.

I don't think $75 onboard credit is going to get me on a ship to 40 degree Canada when I booked a trip to 80 degree Mexico. I know itineraries can change but they should be somewhat comparable or offer me more than the cost of a drink with an umbrella per day.

While I will be the first to admit it will not be hot here, it will also not be 40 degrees in Canada, at least not in Vancouver or Victoria! It was 70 degrees today (Friday) in Victoria, and that was the official high, actually hit 74 according to my thermometer. Next week is unfortunately going to be cooler, highs around 60 - cool but still not 40 degrees!

As far as the offer for the May 3rd Splendor, the 50% refund/50% future cruise credit was not a figment of anyone's imagination, as someone suggested. I am a travel agent who was booked on this cruise, and I was told twice that this was the offer, only to be told the next day that it was only a $75 OBC. I did get a supervisor to admit that the higher offer was a misunderstanding - it was told to many people but I do not believe that any one actually ended up with it. I was also told that no one is getting any amount of future cruise credit if they choose to sail on May 3rd, so I would love to hear from anyone who does. She also said that they did not give any passenger a $ refund, so I would also love to hear from the people who said here that they were promised one if they actually got it. I think all passengers should be treated the same in this regard. Although I am disappointed that the generous offer first mentioned does not exist, I can't fault Carnival that much for the error as I think that this has been a logistical nightmare for them and they were just scrambling to deal with it. I do think they should have upped the ante more, though, in regards to the FCC if you do choose to still go, as I think that is a win-win situation for everybody and would create loyalty for the brand.

only 7 confirmed deaths in Mexico???? Population of Mexico City 22 million. Whats up with that!

It is true that they confirmed that of the original 20 plus deaths attributed to the swine flu in Mexico, on further testing, only 7 really were! apparently more people than this die in any given week there from the seasonal flu!! Also, there were no new deaths confirmed all week in Mexico. There seems to be no current understanding of why the cases in Mexico have been much more severe than those of people who were just visiting there then returned home. I know someone who knows someone who knows one of people who had it - they were not confirmed to have had swine flu until they were pretty much recovered and they reported that it was milder than most flus they have had in the past.

The media is also making a big thing of the first reported death outside of Mexico - that death should really have been included in the Mexican deaths, IMO. It was a little boy, already with health issues before he got the flu, who got sick in Mexico and then his family took him to Texas where he died.

The ironic thing is that there have been no confirmed cases of swine flu in or anywhere close to the ports that the Splendor was going to (on the western side of Mexico, only cases are in Mexicali, 120 miles inland in the north Baja). chances are that most passengers are coming from cities in the US or Canada that have had a few isolated cases, more than in the cancelled ports!

I am sailing on the splendor on may 17 th, they haven't change my ports yet. The splendor may10 th sailing balcony is around 600.00 for 2 people. I am paying arpond 1000.00 got ocean view. It seams like carnival is not taking care oftheir current passengers, because they have your money. i may cancel my cruise, when they change ports. I will book a trip to alaska may of 2010.

I may try to get a upgrade, but it looks like they are not working with you.

When do you all think this flu will settle down?:confused:

I am sailing on the splendor on may 17 th, they haven't change my ports yet. The splendor may10 th sailing balcony is around 600.00 for 2 people. I am paying arpond 1000.00 got ocean view. It seams like carnival is not taking care oftheir current passengers, because they have your money. i may cancel my cruise, when they change ports. I will book a trip to alaska may of 2010.

Now that is a good question ...

I am hoping we get to go back for our cruise ...but not sure that it will happen either ....

I am so confused as to what to do ...

Carnival has not 'officially' changed your ports yet, but based on that San Francisco pier schedule link, you WILL be changed.

I wouldn't mind getting this flu. Should help provide even more immunity against future outbreaks of similar, and perhaps not so mild strains.

I'm not sure why, but this reminded me of a line in The Devil Wears Prada -- "I'm one stomach flu away from my goal weight." LOL.

My in laws are currently on the Splendor and they were headed to San Francisco yesterday. My hubby said they were still in a good mood, so that's good!

the number of commfirmed cases have risen from 367 to 615 world wide. the WHO was back logged with cases so the new numbers for Mexico are 397 comfirmed with 16 deaths.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/02/swine.flu/index.html

Although the numbers have increased they are still very low. I was just reading that the population in the inland areas of Mexico where most cases of swine flu originated is 25 million people so as a per capita statistic it seems to be not bery significant. The article also was saying that most people don't realize how many cases, and how many deaths, occur each year that are influenza related. Last year in the US, there were millions of cases and 63,730 died of the flu (we are talking actual influenza, bit a 3 day stomach bug)

I am not saying that people should not have been warned and precautions taken, it just seems like the reaction is over the top.

I belong to a group that has done service work in Mexico and the people there were struggling so much already, and they depend so much on tourism, that it just seems terrible to have imposed all these restrictions if they were not all necessary. As a travel agent, I had many people that were supposed to be going to all-inclusives in Mexico this month that have had to charge their plans, and I just think of all those resorts sitting empty and the workers making no income.

As of today, the World Health Organization says:

>>WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.<<

Although the numbers have increased they are still very low. I was just reading that the population in the inland areas of Mexico where most cases of swine flu originated is 25 million people so as a per capita statistic it seems to be not bery significant. The article also was saying that most people don't realize how many cases, and how many deaths, occur each year that are influenza related. Last year in the US, there were millions of cases and 63,730 died of the flu (we are talking actual influenza, bit a 3 day stomach bug)

I am not saying that people should not have been warned and precautions taken, it just seems like the reaction is over the top.

I belong to a group that has done service work in Mexico and the people there were struggling so much already, and they depend so much on tourism, that it just seems terrible to have imposed all these restrictions if they were not all necessary. As a travel agent, I had many people that were supposed to be going to all-inclusives in Mexico this month that have had to charge their plans, and I just think of all those resorts sitting empty and the workers making no income.

As of today, the World Health Organization says:

>>WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.<<

i completely agree with you, its sux for everyone & the poorest are paying the price by losing revenue.

If we can look on the bright side of thing maybe with type of awareness people will take the regular flu more serouisly & the number of death will decrease next flu season.

Am I understanding this right? Carnival's website says that we should be able to cancel with no penalty within 24 hours if a port is cancelled. Here is the link. Why are they not honoring that in this case?

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx

Now that is a good question. I'd love to hear their answer to that one.

Archived