Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

I gotta say, I am absolutely disgusted by the treatment Carnival has given me in the past 2 weeks. Firstly, I completely understand why all the cruiselines had to change the itinerary. However, I purposely turned down taking a cruise that was $200 cheaper that went to 2/3 of the places I am now going on my new itinerary, and upon speaking to numerous customer services reps, there is 'nothing they can do'. No reasons. No explanations. Nothing. My friend going on the ship with me is a TWO TIME Carnival sailor, and somehow it is justified to offer a loyal paying customer $20 measly dollars when over $200 was spent on the itinerary we are now being sent on. Not to mention I spent 3 hours on the telephone calmly trying to understand why this decision was made, only to be YELLED at by a customer service representative. Great customer service, alright. I am absolutely disgusted with Carnival and can confidently say I will never travel with them again in the future. Their disregard for customer satisfaction is a disgrace. Now that travel to Mexico is allowed, I find it humerous that they have scheduled the Carnival Holiday, a 4 day cruise, to go to Mexico while people like me dropped hundreds of dollars more, are not going to ONE place they paid for and are going to 3 places that cost hundreds less and are not being prioritized. I guess I should just get over it... apparently there's just 'nothing they can do'. :mad:

I wanted to share with everyone how upset and disappointed I am with Carnival right now.

I have been on 2 carnival cruises in the past, and they have been fabulous. My friends and I decided to take a cruise when we graduate college. This cruise has been 4 years in the making..we worked VERY hard to come up with this money. When came time to look for cruises, I told my friends that Carnival was amazing and we shouldn't look anywhere else.

We were looking at two cruises, one was about $400 going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios. the 4 of us have been to these places, and personally I have been to them twice. So we decided to pay $300 more to go to places we have never been to before. We decided on the Carnival Glory going to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, and the Bahamas leaving 5/30.

Once the Swine Flu broke out, we realized that the itineraries needed to be changed. However, ours was changed to Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, and Grand Turk. The ONLY compensation we were getting for the change is $20. This is ABSURD. Many other cruise lines are giving their guests at least $200 back. We are now going to 3 ports, instead of 4, NONE of them are the ones we paid for, and 2/3 are ones we paid $300+ to avoid.

We wrote a letter to Carnival, and called the other day to demand more compensation. The woman we spoke to yelled at my friend on the phone, VERY disrespectful. I spoke to a supervisor who said he could do nothing to help us. My friend and I were very calm asking "Why cant we get more compensation? We're trying to understand" and they had NO answers.

This is just simply unacceptable. I am ashamed that I reccommended Carnival to my friends, and ashamed that this will be my 3rd cruise with them and I am being treated the way I am. I am very disappointed at the way they are dealing with things. I understand the itinerary needed to be changed, but now that they are allowing people back in Mexico, I think it's funny they chose a 4 day cruise to go to Cozumel, and not us who spent much more money and are not getting what we paid for.

I will NEVER go on Carnival again. This was supposed to be a trip to look forward to with my friends to celebrate graduating college..something we tried very hard to achieve. But now it is just stressful and I wish we never booked with Carnival in the first place. We are grateful to still be going, however it is disgusting to be treated in such a manner.

From now on, the only thing I will remember about Carnival is how difficult they were and how they clearly do NOT pride themselves on customer service. They dont care if their guests are happy, they just want the money. Next time I will be cruising with someone who cares.

These last two posts were obviously written in conjunction with each other and are first-ever posts on CC. It appears to be a case of very young people feeling that if they scream loudly enough, they will get their way, regardless of whether it is warranted or not.

They probably demand their money back if they go to the beach and it rains or the temperature isn't what they wanted. :rolleyes:

Get over it kids. All the cruise lines which visit Mexico were faced with very difficult decisions and no matter what they did, there would be whiners and complainers. I was on the Splendor's 4-26 cruise to the Mexican Riviera and missed all my ports and had basically a 7-day trip to nowhere, with the exception of a cold and rainy day in San Francisco, which was not on the original itinerary.

It would never have occurred to me to pitch the kind of fit these last two posters have done. I am grateful, of course, that Carnival ultimately decided to give us generous compensation, but our situation was totally different from that of the kids above. These are the kind of people who would rant and rave and demand huge compensation if their itinerary was changed due to a hurricane.

Stuff happens, kids. Put on your Big-Kid Panties and Deal With It. :)

First of all, you have no idea what we have been through. We called Carnival very calm asking for a reason why we cant get more money back. If it is unsafe to go to Mexico, by all means, do not send us there. However, $20 compensation is a little ridiculous considering what these new ports are actually worth.

I think it's funny that you seem to be an experienced CC user, and also an experienced traveler, and you would use ageism to discriminate on a fellow cruiser. I am sorry that I do not have the money to cruise as often as you do, and hearing your story, I think the cruise you were sent on is unfortunate and I'm glad you can look at it and not be as upset as we are.

We worked very hard to come up with this money to go and celebrate graduating college. It is not uncommon for someone in our situation to feel ripped off and upset at this point.

Frankly, you can think we're acting like "kids" if you'd like. But since we tried dealing with this in a calm manner and we were treated the way we were, I think that our feelings and frustration is completely justified.

Thanks!:D

First of all, you have no idea what we have been through. We called Carnival very calm asking for a reason why we cant get more money back. If it is unsafe to go to Mexico, by all means, do not send us there. However, $20 compensation is a little ridiculous considering what these new ports are actually worth.

I think it's funny that you seem to be an experienced CC user, and also an experienced traveler, and you would use ageism to discriminate on a fellow cruiser. I am sorry that I do not have the money to cruise as often as you do, and hearing your story, I think the cruise you were sent on is unfortunate and I'm glad you can look at it and not be as upset as we are.

We worked very hard to come up with this money to go and celebrate graduating college. It is not uncommon for someone in our situation to feel ripped off and upset at this point.

Frankly, you can think we're acting like "kids" if you'd like. But since we tried dealing with this in a calm manner and we were treated the way we were, I think that our feelings and frustration is completely justified.

It's not ageism, it's experience vs. inexperience. You knew you would not be going to Mexico. You took the cruise anyway. Carnival fulfilled their obligation. You had x-number of days at sea with great food, entertainment and friends. It was your decision to go.

Now, you are complaining that somehow you were cheated and lied to and that you're a victim.

Not so. I hate to say it, and I don't mean it personally, but you are being greedy.

Also, cruising frequently is not necessarily about affluence, it's also about priorities and sacrifices..

And I do know what you've been through. It's happened to most of us at one time or another, but the difference is that we haven't felt such a self-oriented sense of "entitlement" that we pitched a fit over it.

And, again, I'm not trying to insult you,. I'm trying to help you to perhaps be able to view the situation in possibly a more-complete and more-mature context.

As for both you and your fellow poster being "yelled" at by a CSR, I have quite a bit of experience in customer service on both sides of the issue, and the very first thing complainers usually do is accuse the CSR people of being rude, "yelling" at them and being insensitive. The more dramatic the complainer can make the situation, the more likely they think they will be to have their demands met. The truth, of course, is usually somewhere in between, and it always devolves into a "he said, she said" situation, which of course is a waste of everyone's time.

Let me start off by saying that what I am about to say is MY opinion only and is NOT directed to anyone. I have an upcoming cruise where Cozumel was removed for an extra day of sea. This is my 3rd cruise, however, it's my husband's first and I want it to be awesome for him. What I believe when I purchased the cruise is that the funds I paid is for the cruise itself. The price paid for my 6 days/7 nights sleeping accomodation, the "free" 4/5 star dining three times a day and numerous "free" snacking, the all day long entertainment, and the shows. With ports aside, where can you book a separate vacation anywhere for the price. Now, the ports as I see it, is a welcome diversion from being on the ship. The price for the cruise included the port fees to be able to stop, however, the price I paid isn't just for the ports. People tend to forget that they are paying for the cruise ship and all the amnemities included. Where we go is just an itinerary for the ship to cruise to while out to sea enjoying their amnemities. I sure as heck would spend more than that staying at a hotel in Las Vegas and eating at the Borgata restuarant for 7 days 3x a day and not see a thing. I just want to put a different prospective on cruising. It's not the ports you are paying for, but the cruise itself.

Hi, all. I appreciate your responses, however, I do not appreciate your mocking our ages, which in fact are clearly of no reflection of maturity considering you feel the need to play the 'I'm a mature adult' card when in fact you are acting like a complete child. I am 22 years old, and financially independent so I suggest you watch what you say to people regarding them being childish... you may find yourself losing a lot of friends that way.

I understand your point of you and appreciate it, just not the way you chose to word it. I have in fact been on many cruises myself, and I don't appreciate you trying to take a 'I know more than you' approach.

Sadly, I am not dramatizing the CSR. She legitamately yelled at me. And for you to side with the cruise company when you yourself are supposedly a cruiser is quite mind-boggling. I don't care what business it is. If you have ever worked with people, especially in CS, you know that yelling/screaming at a paying or potential customer is innapropriate and goes completely against all values of being a CSR. So thank you for doubting my experience. That's very helpful.

Again, I reiterate, I am NOT disappointd at the change in itinerary. I am fine with it. I am upset with how I have been treated by Carnival ,and how they have proven unable to give me a reason WHY they cannot help me. I just wnat to understand since I dropped what is a lot of money for me to go on this cruise.

So, please, I posted here to get constructive input and advice. If you feel the need to personally insult, bash or put down other people, maybe you should take your 10,000+ posts somewhere else.

ooohhh.... I am intimidated. Immaturity can take many forms, regardless of age. That was demonstrated by the 500 or so people on the Splendor two weeks ago who were trying to instigate a mutiny and a riot.

Maturity, however, is also tempered through experiences and experiences accumulate as one grows older. I agree, though, not all people are capable of learning from those experiences, and that includes all ages.

You state that the CSR yelled at you and was mean to you. Although I still doubt that a CSR yelled at all three of you from the "I'm-only-22-but-oh-so-much-more-mature-than-you" crowd, I can understand why they might want to. :)

ooohhh.... I am intimidated. Immaturity can take many forms' date=' regardless of age. [b']That was demonstrated by the 500 or so people on the Splendor two weeks ago who were trying to instigate a mutiny and a riot.[/b]

Ok I think this is a little over exaggerated.... 500 people may have gotten off in Long Beach but 500 people did not instigate a mutiny or riot....

We all saw the video......... and some of us have friends or family that decided to get off early to salvage some of their vacation.........and nothing more.

Ok I think this is a little over exaggerated.... 500 people may have gotten off in Long Beach but 500 people did not instigate a mutiny or riot....

We all saw the video......... and some of us have friends or family that decided to get off early to salvage some of their vacation.........and nothing more.

There were about 600 or more who departed the ship. I would say at least 100 or more of them were as you have described.... trying to salvage their vacation and nothing more. And the remaining 400 to 500 did not instigate a mutiny or riot, but most of them were seriously trying to.

I was there. The video shows loops of the same scenes over and over, mostly ones which were almost humorous in their ridiculousness. You had to have actually been there to sense the atmosphere of potential violence and anarchy.

There were about 600 or more who departed the ship. I would say at least 100 or more of them were as you have described.... trying to salvage their vacation and nothing more. And the remaining 400 to 500 did not instigate a mutiny or riot' date=' but most of them were seriously trying to.

I was there. The video shows loops of the same scenes over and over, mostly ones which were almost humorous in their ridiculousness. You had to have actually been there to sense the atmosphere of potential violence and anarchy.[/quote']

Just You-Tubed the video as I hadn't seen it. I wish to retract my previous post of "Kudos" to Carnival. I think it sets very bad precedent to reward this kind of conduct with a 50% credit. The folks that stayed - sure - give them what ever as they'll get it back. But its lost on me as to why Carnival would want any one of these PAX back - or encourage other folks to act like them.

For anyone else who hasn't seen it, Youtube "Splendor Mutiny."

• 2 weeks later...
Someone on another board said she called Carnival about this (about the Legend) and they told her the new itineraries were set in stone and it would be "too much effort" to change them back. I think Carnival got ahead of themselves on this. I wish they hadn't changed their plans so far out. I also feel bad for the locals who are needing the income!

i checked into this too because i am also scheduled to stop at coz, but not until august. they are resuming stops there, but only after the switched itineraries finish sailing.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/Travel_Advisory.aspx?icid=CC_HMPG_21

STATEMENT REGARDING H1N1 (SWINE) FLU ITINERARY CHANGES

Miami - May 15, 2009 5:00PM

Carnival will resume visits to Mexican ports of call based on the latest guidance from the Centers for Disease Control, which is no longer recommending against non-essential travel to Mexico. Once all voyages with previously modified itineraries are completed, those vessels will revert to their original routes featuring stops in Mexico. Most itineraries were modified through mid-June. Click here for a ship-by-ship listing including dates for when each vessel will resume its original itinerary.

Carnival is extremely pleased to be resuming our port calls in Mexico, which is one of our most popular destinations. Additionally, we would like to thank all our guests and travel agent partners who were impacted by the modified schedules in recent weeks for their understanding and patience. MEASURES TO SUPPORT A HEALTHY CRUISE ENVIRONMENT

The health and well being of our guests and crew is our highest priority and we are returning to Mexico after careful evaluation and consultation with the CDC. It is important to note that the concentration of H1N1 flu cases in Mexico has been inland rather than in the coastal resort areas where our ships visit.

The cruise industry works closely with U.S. public health officials in the CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program in developing and complying with extensive policies and procedures that are effective in mitigating illness aboard cruise ships. Carnival will continue to follow CDC guidelines for cruise ships which include pre-boarding health questionnaires for all guests and crew, along with secondary screening by shipboard medical professionals as necessary. Additionally, all Carnival ships stock influenza test kits and anti-viral medications for treating type A influenzas.

For further information on H1N1 influenza, visit the CDC’s web site at www.cdc.gov.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree. I've already seen several threads calling this a pandemic!

Some should look up a big word like that before using it!

My health is very important!! I will take no chances with illness, which is why we changed our cruise from Cozumel, Mexico to the Bahamas. :p

My health is very important!! I will take no chances with illness, which is why we changed our cruise from Cozumel, Mexico to the Bahamas. :p

You take a chance to contract an illness with every breath you take - but please keep breathing. Computer keyboards are well documented as germ havens - so be careful. :)

I reviewed a number of different travel insurance plans over the last couple of weeks. MANY exempt coverage in the event of a PANDEMIC. Now that the swine flu has been declared a PANDEMIC, I suggest you check your coverage on insuremytrip.com or with your cruiseline. On Carnival, their medical coverage does not exempt swine flu, but it is secondary coverage. This translates to my primary insurance company gets billed and THEN Carnival's insurance carrier pays. Also, the maximum coverage amount was very low. insuremytrip.com has a link that specifically compares swine flu coverage. I went with Travelex. All this is very important because Medicare and many HMOs do not provide coverage outside the US and those plans that do often have a high international deductable.

Focus on boosting your immune system and you won't have to worry about your health. You will be exposed to just as many germs in the Bahamas as you would in Cozumel.

Pat

A patient suffering from swine flu has died, a Scottish government spokesman has confirmed.

The swine flu virus has infected almost 500 people in Scotland alone - with 35 new cases confirmed on Sunday.

jj.......

Archived