Ultimate Carabbean and Panama Cruise out of Miami

Hi

We are looking at this cruise on April 5 2010 as the dates are great work wise , can someone advise whether it goes thru the Panama Canal , the brochure/website is unclear , an agent says it goes half way and turns around!! , any ideas ?????????

Cheers

Nick

According to the listed ports, the ship does not go through the Canal, but docks at Colon, Panama. I think then you can get an excursion that would take you partway through the Canal.

I am surprised that your TA does not know this.

I was on this cruise in February and it did a partial transit. But maybe because Royal Caribbean is trying to save money, the company is not doing a partial transit.

The Panama Canal Zone charges cruise ships hundreds of thousands of dollars to transit partway through the Canal.

I think you will find that the partial transits will return, probably in 2010-11 season. There was a lot of speculation as to why RCI dropped the partial transits in the 2010 time frame. I believe the reason they dropped them was the fact that they were going to have two Radiance class ships (the Jewel and one other ) on charter for the Winter Olympics in Vancouver for a good part of the Canal cruise season. It is necessary for them to advance book a transit slot for the Canal, this is the only way they can guarantee being able to transit the Canal on a specific day and time. The fact that the Radiance class ships are Panamax also limits the number of slots available for booking. These slots go out for bid somewhere 15 to 18 months in advance of the day of transit. I believe the booking fee for a Panamax ship is somewhere around $35,000, which is on top of the tolls, so it is not something you can just call up and cancel before 6PM if you change your mind! Some of the advance booking slots are auctioned off as well. Since their winter cruise schedule was in limbo for sometime and the chater of those two ships fell through, I'm sure they did not want to risk having to cancel their advance bookings and that's why they now are offering "The Ultimate Caribbean Cruise" with just a stop in Colon during 2010.

I guess we will only know for sure when the 2010-11 Caribbean cruises are posted.

You will get all the "flavor" of the canal doing the partial transit--and it's not even necessary to book an excursion there. You will go through 3 sets of locks and on the way in, a navigator will be onboard giving running commentary about the canal's operation, history, etc.... When you get into Lake Gatun, that's when the folks who will do an excursion will get off the ship. All of the excursions last 6-8 hours, and are fairly expensive!!!---once they leave, the ship is uncrowded and quite pleasant! You'll stay in the lake for a couple of hours, and then go back through the locks and dock at the pier, where you can get off the ship and shop. You are NOT allowed to leave the pier and if you look at the town through binoculars, you'll see why. It's a slum/tenement area--you don't want to be there!

It's VERY hot--wear major sunscreen! And don't leave your balcony door open--there are little flying bugs that will infiltrate your cabin!

You will get all the "flavor" of the canal doing the partial transit--and it's not even necessary to book an excursion there. You will go through 3 sets of locks and on the way in, a navigator will be onboard giving running commentary about the canal's operation, history, etc.... When you get into Lake Gatun, that's when the folks who will do an excursion will get off the ship.

While what you are saying is true, it is not in this case as the 2010 sailings do not go into the canal. At all.

We just got back from the 10 day Panama cruise in March and it was great. I know I would have enjoyed it with or without actually entering the canal. We did do the partial transit and while it was great, I wouldn't say it was the highlight of the cruise.

Hi HorrorFan, We are planning on going on the same 10 night cruise on the Jewel in March 2010. Any suggestions for the Panama or any other ports? It will be my wife and two teenage boys? Any other suggestions would be welcome also. Thanks

I think you will find that the partial transits will return, probably in 2010-11 season. There was a lot of speculation as to why RCI dropped the partial transits in the 2010 time frame. I believe the reason they dropped them was the fact that they were going to have two Radiance class ships (the Jewel and one other ) on charter for the Winter Olympics in Vancouver for a good part of the Canal cruise season. It is necessary for them to advance book a transit slot for the Canal, this is the only way they can guarantee being able to transit the Canal on a specific day and time. The fact that the Radiance class ships are Panamax also limits the number of slots available for booking. These slots go out for bid somewhere 15 to 18 months in advance of the day of transit. I believe the booking fee for a Panamax ship is somewhere around $35,000, which is on top of the tolls, so it is not something you can just call up and cancel before 6PM if you change your mind! Some of the advance booking slots are auctioned off as well. Since their winter cruise schedule was in limbo for sometime and the chater of those two ships fell through, I'm sure they did not want to risk having to cancel their advance bookings and that's why they now are offering "The Ultimate Caribbean Cruise" with just a stop in Colon during 2010.

I guess we will only know for sure when the 2010-11 Caribbean cruises are posted.

I find that hard to believe since I have been watching this cruise for about a year now you can even look at this cruise in the 09-10 RC Book, it show it as a partial transit. My ta tried to disput my word since they just done this cruise they were assuring me that it was doing a partial transit, I asked them to call RC and call me back. She did and was shocked that it was not doing the partial transit. I think it is just another way to save more MONEY!! We are still doing this cruise because it works into our work schedules. Had I had enough vacation time I may have looked at doing a full transit.

We did the Panama Canal cruise in January, 2007 on Brilliance and it did a partial transit. We were told it cost RCCL $250,000.00 for the ship to go through the canal. It was really an interesting and cool thing to see, we got up before sunup and went to the helipad to watch it. I read to do that on these boards. Holland had a ship in front of us so we watched it go through. It was great.

We landed yesterday from, as I understand it, the last partial transit on the Jewel. It was mentioned in one of the lectures that the partial canal fee was $250,000. Things will hopefully change in another year or so and get back to partials. To enjoy the ports fully, it is important to remember that none of these stops are at elaborate terminals within walking distance of anything, some are definitely best, not venturing out alone. Please, please, don't judge Costa Rica by the port that the ship stops in. Costa Rica is a beautiful country, but you'd never know it from the port. There are many great excursions to take in each of the countries or catching a cab directly at the port will also give you a good feel of what's going on. We are booked again in November for the same cruise (only not doing the transit) and am already planning different things to do this time around. (Changed from the Independence) If you have specific questions, my email is kmp585@aol.com. Happy cruising!!!:o

Hi HorrorFan, We are planning on going on the same 10 night cruise on the Jewel in March 2010. Any suggestions for the Panama or any other ports? It will be my wife and two teenage boys? Any other suggestions would be welcome also. Thanks

Sorry, I missed your question. eWe stayed on the ship in Panama because ours did a partial transit. We were with our 13 and 18 year old. Costa Rica was excellent, and we booked our tour with Charlie Soto. Google the name, I highly recommend him. We did an RCI tour on Cartegena and a nice day snorling and the stingrays with ebanks watersports..again highly recommended.

We did the partial canal passage to Gatun Lake in 2006 on Brilliance. That partial was an excursion in itself. And when all the excursion guests got tendered off at the lake, Brilliance was really a dream. The whole ship was about 75% emptied of PAX. What a pleasant few hours that was, especially at the pool!

The 18 month pre-scheduling above makes sense and we can understand that. That is a big commitment so far out. $250,000 for a very short partial transit? That has to be the listed retail price that RCCL announces. What would the entire transit cost? One million?

RCCL must have some influence in that price, with port fees, bringing how many 1000's of guests to Panama to spend $$$, and advertising the Panamanian tourist industry. Gotta think the bottom line may be less than the $250,000.

If you are or have booked the Panama non-partial that is currently offered, there should be excursions available to transit the canal via a smaller vessel or take the railway tour. While there, take some time and explore the canal. You won't regret it.

Anyway, our Brilliance partial was outstanding. Here's hoping those cruises come back.

Rick and Deirdra

$250,000 to Gatun Lake and back is not correct I don't believe. I was listening to the guy describing the canal on the way in and I'm sure he said $60,000 or something like that. In fact, it was my understanding (could be wrong) that the largest price ever paid for a full transit was somewhere under $300,000. The cost of transit is based on square footage of cargo space. In the case of a cruise ship, the cabins are considered the cargo space. At least thats what I think he said.:confused:

"That is a big commitment so far out. $250,000 for a very short partial transit? That has to be the listed retail price that RCCL announces. What would the entire transit cost?"

It cost the same. The Canal figures that they lifted you up from sea level to Gatun Lake and then put you back down to sea level, their job is done, what ocean you want to wind up in is your call. There might be a small savings in some of misc. charges since they don't have to assign tugs for two additional locks and through Gaillard Cut. In comparison to the toll charge these charges may almost seem like couch change:D.

I find that hard to believe since I have been watching this cruise for about a year now you can even look at this cruise in the 09-10 RC Book, it show it as a partial transit. My ta tried to disput my word since they just done this cruise they were assuring me that it was doing a partial transit, I asked them to call RC and call me back. She did and was shocked that it was not doing the partial transit. I think it is just another way to save more MONEY!! We are still doing this cruise because it works into our work schedules. Had I had enough vacation time I may have looked at doing a full transit.

Hi Stormlover,

The original sailings in '10 were the partial transits. I was following a couple of threads here when they announced that the change was being made to "The Ultimate Caribbean " and it caused a bit of a stir. They, (RCI) also notified some people and some just found out about it through the grape vine. I really believe they will return to the partial transits as soon as they can because it really is a unique cruise and Princess and HAL are continueing to do partial transits as well.

I think RCI has good relations in Panama specially since they have home ported the Enchantment there about half the year.

We made a complete transit in November on the Radiance and it was announce the tolls were either $324 or 328,000 for the transit. That's "only" about $160 a passenger.

We were just on the Jewel a few weeks ago for the next to last Partial Transit.

One of the ship's Senior Officers told me that 4 years ago the toll for the partial transit was $30,000 but that for this trip it was $250,000 and it was expected to increase again next year.

Panama needs to raise money for construction of the new lock that is due to be completed in a few years and raising tolls for the ships is their only possibility.

Personally, I would much prefer to pay a surcharge for the toll costs ($100/person on the Jewel) than to pay a fee for a partial transit in a much smaller excursion boat. It is far better to look down at everything that to look up at the sides of the lock!

Nothing beats doing the transit on a radiance Class Ship! You can see everything!

DSCN8675.jpg

DSCN8705.jpg

DSCN8725.jpg

This panoramic video shows the view from the open dining area as we descended from Gatun Lake. Wave back to TrainMom!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Trainman-2/Jewell%20Western%2013%20Apr%2009/?action=view&current=Jewel-DSCN8736.flv

We made a complete transit in November on the Radiance and it was announce the tolls were either $324 or 328,000 for the transit. That's "only" about $160 a passenger.

That is a good point, they could have done the partial transit and just charged each passenger the extra $160pp, we would have paid it. I mean an excursion on our own or through the cruiseline would cost that much, so why not see it from the comfort of the ship instead.

Archived