Independance of the seas balcony

I have balcony cabin # 8712 reserved for the 01/17/10 sailing. This cabin is at the back (aft?) of the ship. Is this a good view? We are not on the corner, but the 2nd cabin in from the corner on the port side for this sailing.

I have balcony cabin # 8712 reserved for the 01/17/10 sailing. This cabin is at the back (aft?) of the ship. Is this a good view? We are not on the corner, but the 2nd cabin in from the corner on the port side for this sailing.

It is an excellent cabin. You will have a much larger balcony than if you had an E cabin on the side of the ship.

I love the aft view - it is so tranquil, just sitting there and watching the wake of the ship.

Some love aft and swear by them....me personally I never got it. I like to see the sides not only a rear view....you miss a lot coming into port with a rear view. You may get a larger balcony but there are also cons....There is a superstructure in the rear of Freedom class ships that hamper the view a bit.....the above balconies can look down on you....there are sometimes soot issues....and it's quite a hike to get to the rear of the ship, especially when you have to get somewhere forward. I would take mid-ship for convenience any day.

We have our first aft and our first balcony on the Freedom coming up this August. We are in 1404. I am so excited to experience a balcony, any balcony. I know I will enjoy watching the wake.

For me, the walk aft will not be an issue at all. I try to get as many steps in a day as possible, including taking the stairs, so this will actually be good for me. We were so far always on Deck 2, so in the mornings we would wake up daily at 5 am, walk up the stairs to deck 4 to do our morning walk, then up to Deck 11 to the gym. We will not need those extra steps aft to make up for the fact that we only go up one deck to reach the gym, and down less to get to deck 4. It will all even out in the end.

I will let you know how I liked my cabin when I get back. :D

We were in #6712 on the Independence this past January. So...we were at the bottom level of the rear aft balconies.

Yes...there is a large structural portion out there but it really didn't bother us at all. With you being up a couple of floors you will have an even better view than us. The balcony was huge and had 2 lounge chairs as well as 2 regular chairs and a small table. We really enjoyed this. Normally we do not spend a ton of time on our balcony but we used this one more. The weather was windy and not too nice out at see on this particular trip and our balcony was perfect during this weather. We did not have any issues with soot. They did have a scheduled cleaning time out on the structure in which crew was going to be out there and they let us know about it ahead of time.

We enjoyed it, would do it again, and the walk was good for us.

Some love aft and swear by them....me personally I never got it. I like to see the sides not only a rear view....you miss a lot coming into port with a rear view. You may get a larger balcony but there are also cons....There is a superstructure in the rear of Freedom class ships that hamper the view a bit.....the above balconies can look down on you....there are sometimes soot issues....and it's quite a hike to get to the rear of the ship, especially when you have to get somewhere forward. I would take mid-ship for convenience any day.

We were on the IOS TA.

We did have soot, we did have others able to look down as there is no over hang above you. So, if it was raining, we had fantastic weather though, you would not be able to sit out there.

We did get a lot of sunshine though, which was a plus. Doesn't depend on what side you are on for the sun.

All of the above is true. We usually are mid ship or hump and this was our first aft. It was OK, we loved the larger balcony and lounger chairs. I think our first choice is hump and then aft.

Archived