Jewel balcony vs minisuite

We are planning a cruise next February on the Jewel but are not sure whether to book a balcony or minisuite. Our TA told us the minisuite is $75 extra pp. We're not cheap and that's not much for the upgrade but is it worth it?

Does anyone know the differnce between the rooms other than the minisuite is a bit bigger? What are the perks? Is the balcony on the minisuite bigger.

The NCL website was not helpful at all.

Thanks!!!!!!

We were in a mini on the Jewel last year. If I remember correctly the mini is 285 sq ft compared to the balcony at 205 sq ft. The Mini is really just a deluxe balcony since you don't get any other perks with it.

We were in a mini on the Jewel last year. If I remember correctly the mini is 285 sq ft compared to the balcony at 205 sq ft. The Mini is really just a deluxe balcony since you don't get any other perks with it.

Thanks!!!!

We just got off the Jewel and had a mini-suite. For only a $75pp cost to go from a balcony to a mini I'd do it, but not if was hundreds pp more.

I enjoyed having a tub rather than a shower, a slightly bigger tv and somewhat bigger balcony. Due to the strange room arrangement, the cabin itself seemed smaller than most mini's and the closet was in a very odd position--only about 15" from the bed, which made access difficult.

We did see a couple of balcony cabins during a cabin crawl and we both commented that we would have been fine with it. The bath was the same except for having a shower rather than a tub--it looked like a nice big shower.

The balcony tv was only about 15". I forgot to notice what the hanging closet was like. The sitting area was much smaller, the balcony a little smaller.

We liked our 11th deck location--very handy for the buffet and pool deck.

I'm not sure, but the Mini suite may allow you breakfast and lunch at Cagneys. I'd give NCL a call to make sure. We were on the Jewel last month and had a great time/

No, it does not. The earlier poster was correct - the minisuite is a "deluxe balcony"; it is larger than a balcony cabin, but does not include any perks beyond what one would get with a balcony cabin. But if the extra square footage, small bathtub and a curtain separating the bed from the sofa area are important to you, then the mini is the way to go.

Are all the mini suites at the back of the ship? If so, would you feel more movement there?

NCL.com provides a floorplan display of cabin locations. Go there and you will see where the minisuites are located.

Mini-suites don't get the perks of regular suites - so no breakfast in Cagneys. Only difference I could see being in a mini suite versus a regular balcony - bigger bathroom, but less cabin space - but it is worth it - hence why we chose the AF on the Jewel for N.E./Canada versus regular balcony. At $75 per person - go for it - I think it is worth it. AF's are all on Deck 11 up and down the ship - so you have a wide variety to choose from depending on availability. Be careful with what is above you - the pool deck so you could get some rumbling from moving deck chairs and see what is outside/across the hall from you - try to find one away from the elevators and away from inside cabins - you should be good to go.

No special perks. Not a suite.

The one benefit that is of value to us is the heavy curtain you can pull between the bed and the sitting area - almost making it a two room cabin if one is sleeping in and the other gets up early.

I'm not sure, but the Mini suite may allow you breakfast and lunch at Cagneys. I'd give NCL a call to make sure. We were on the Jewel last month and had a great time/

Cagney's for breakfast is only for full suites. The bathtub would automatically make it worth the extra for my DW. This makes the bathroom a bit larger. Also, the area between the bed and balcony is a bit larger, and there is a heavy curtain between the bed and sofa to block out the light. $75 pp??? Go for it!! :D

DT

I agree with the poster that said...check out what is above you. Our cabin was under the buffet kitchen and we heard carts rolling way into the night and early morn too. We still had a good time, but I would have gone starboard if I were doing it again. Nancy

The tub is so small hardly worth the bother unless you are short.

Prefer the shower without the tub myself.

Extra space and bigger balcony worth considering.

The BAs on deck 10 if avaialble have the extra balcony space so also worth considering.

• Administrators
I agree, for 75$ I would jump on it. When we did it last year, it was almost $200 pp (not worth it).

I'd do it for $75 per person -- about $10 per day seems reasonable for the extra room. I honestly do not think I'd ever go higher than that for two people, but I might if we had a group of three. To the OP, how large is your party?

Archived