All things "Victory"

richbum

This is not from personal experience, but just from what I have read on these boards. The Victory docks at pier 4 (I think) right across from Old San Juan. I am not sure about boarding time, but people have mentioned that that boarded, then got off the ship and did some sightseeing, then reboarded later in the day. Can someone else confirm this?

THX!:D

I heard you can go in check everything out and then go back outside. You have to be back about half an hour before departure but to be on the safe side ask when you board because you still have to do the muster drill before the departure. Good luck and happy sailing, wishing you and everyone else a great trip. Planning on taking this cruise in Feb.2010.

Hey Deb! Thanks for the compliment! How are you and Earl doing?

2892880090105034209S600x600Q85.jpg

Hey, Rob. We're doing fine. Tell Michelle we said HI. As always, more great pictures.

Earl wanted me to ask you what kind of camera you use. You know he is old school (film), anyway we're having a hard time getting film developed.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread. If you're cruising on the Victory you are going to have a great time...but probably will be tired as he!! by the end.

Edited by DOTTE

For anyone who has done the titou gorge trip....Did you hire a private company?

Levi Baron (Bumpiing Tours). He's wonderful.

I'm pretty sure I posted our excursions way back...

St Thomas: Papa Bear (Air Force 1)

Dominica: Levi Baron (Bumpiing Tours)

Barbados: Scenic Barbados Tours

St Lucia: Cosol

Antigua: Gordon

St Kitts: Thenford Grey

I gave pretty thorough reviews of the excursions as well as pics in my review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=997758&highlight=

Plenty of excursion info on the various POC boards. I spend hours reading and researching before making my final decisions. For me, that's part of the fun of planning a cruise.

You have to be back about half an hour before departure but to be on the safe side ask when you board because you still have to do the muster drill before the departure.

We're sailing in a couple of weeks! Do you remember what time the muster drill takes place? How does that affect the open seating for dinner that night?

Thanks to all. This is a great thread.

When we did this itinerary on the Destiny before they moved her out and replaced with the Victory, we did muster about 8:30. We missed dinner that night, long story, so I apologize for not having input on how that works. But I am looking forward to finding out in April!!

Edited by TexasRed

We're sailing in a couple of weeks! Do you remember what time the muster drill takes place? How does that affect the open seating for dinner that night?

Our muster drill was around 9:30pm. Don't know about the dinner.

Edited by DOTTE

Open seating is from 6 - 8:30 pm so that you can have dinner, and have plenty of time to get to the muster drill.

Hey, Rob. We're doing fine. Tell Michelle we said HI. As always, more great pictures.

Earl wanted me to ask you what kind of camera you use. You know he is old school (film), anyway we're having a hard time getting film developed.

The Victory pics were taken with my Olympus Stylus 1050SW (underwater camera), $159 on Amazon. All the rest with a Kodak DX7650.

What time do they normally have the rooms ready when you first board the ship? Can anyone recommend a catamarin tour for Antigua?

Usually around 1pm but it's fairly easy to slip by and go straight to your room.

For Antigua I recommend See Antigua by Sea through Carnival. It completley circumnavigates the whole island and stops on Green Island for some beach/snorkel time. It includes a excellent lunch and some of the strongest rum puch you will ever drink! It also swings through Nelson's Dockyard for a quick photo op. The crew are incredible too!

P5150004.jpg

100_2615.jpg

100_2688.jpg

100_2693.jpg

100_2704.jpg

100_2739.jpg

I remember exactly - ours was at 9:15 PM. There were no interuptions as dinner was open seating. Here we are at the drill May 24, 2009......

Have a great time :D

990979692_Wedding09042.jpg.96a5f3b3aab99fd316e916fac6b22bda.jpg

HappySailing how did you contact Hawksbill resort? Their web site is lacking to say the least. I sounds like a great beach day.

I printed off some information I had gotten from the Antiqua thread right here on cruise critic and took it with me. We just took a taxi and went right in - they were very nice and we only paid $40 per person but I had my paperwork just in case there was a discrepancy. Beware - the taxi drivers will try to get you to do something with them so you spend more money, don't fall for it. Get your quote before leaving with them. It's not very far, maybe 15 minutes. Here are a few more pics - it's just beautiful!

Have a great time.

702336859_Wedding09187.jpg.73ff1dfee13e47bca550164ff5576590.jpg

1598542712_Wedding09178.jpg.d66023315bc8b10b79338fbfab9e7328.jpg

997941690_Wedding09175.jpg.64c5c8b2f6b4316f5124087ce37f9a4a.jpg

1022163258_Wedding09189.jpg.cfaa8ff1730fddb1b50f796a835f2872.jpg

Is it easy to get a taxi to the pier at the airport, and where exactly do we tell the driver to take us? What is the cost these days for three people from the airport to the Victory pier?

Thanks

The Carnival pier is in Old San Juan very near to the Sheraton. Last time I was on Carnival I think I paid about $20 to the pier. Maybe it's a little more now. At the airport, just outside of baggage claim, there will be a taxi dispatcher who will look at how much luggage you have and write down the price of the ride for you. This is so there are no language issues. No habla ingles!

Very simple, very straight forward.

Mike

After reading this thread and other Victory threads, I have been looking at booking some private tours on the various islands.

For those of you that have booked private tours...a few questions:

-Do you pay ahead of time over the internet or just make a reservation and pay when you arrive?

-If for some reason the port was cancelled, is there a problem with getting a refund?

Thanks! Loved the Old San Juan pics, Rob. Do you like your underwater camera? Some of your pics were awesome.

Joy

After reading this thread and other Victory threads, I have been looking at booking some private tours on the various islands.

For those of you that have booked private tours...a few questions:

-Do you pay ahead of time over the internet or just make a reservation and pay when you arrive?

-If for some reason the port was cancelled, is there a problem with getting a refund?

Thanks! Loved the Old San Juan pics, Rob. Do you like your underwater camera? Some of your pics were awesome.

Joy

We are going on the Victory this coming Sunday - YIPEE!! I emailed Levi for the Bumpiing Tours in Dominica, he was very responsive and helpful on email, quoted prices, where to meet etc. He said for us to pay at the end of the tour with cash

Loved the Old San Juan pics, Rob. Do you like your underwater camera? Some of your pics were awesome.

Joy

Thank you! I do like it Joy! It takes really nice shots underwater and above.

Here's a few more for you!

P5090006.jpg

P5100050.jpg

P5090016.jpg

P5100053.jpg

100_2323.jpg

100_2332.jpg

Edited by beentravelin

Hi there .... this might be a stupid question that I just overlooked, but how do I get pictures to come up that size ... like beentravelin and aplmac. I love their pictures:cool: :confused:

Thanks in advance for the help

Hi there .... this might be a stupid question that I just overlooked, but how do I get pictures to come up that size ... like beentravelin and aplmac. I love their pictures:cool: :confused:

Thanks in advance for the help

First I would upload my pics to a photo sharing site (photo bucket is my favorite). You can chose which size you want to upload at. I think I chose 1768 x something? Then you simple hover your cursor over any of your thumbnails and copy the IMG code that comes up in the drop down menu and paste it to the input fields on any message board!

Hope this helps. If you need further instruction just let me know.

Speaking of Aplmac, Where has he been? Maybe cruising!