All things "Victory"

richbum

Sounds like you guys were the only ship in town.

When we were there there were three ships in, that day.

Makes a big difference!

We were on the CB the first time and the Victory was in port too but we arrived really early. On the way back down it was starting to get a little crowded.

When we went on the Victory we just grabbed a cabbie, again fairly early in the day, and it wasn't too awful bad. A little more crowded than the first time though.

I think getting there early is the key!!!

I think getting there early is the key!!!

Yes, you're right.

Getting there early is the right move, so have breakfast early and get off that ship! ;)

On our way up there it wasn't too bad.

Like I said earlier, Alvin suddenly stopped the van just before a bend in the road

pulled up the hand-brake, got out and walked ahead for a peek around said corner.

What's he up to? we all thought..

Afterwards, we realized he as checking to see who/what was coming back down

and when he could make Our Move.

Wasn't too bad getting in.

In an hour's time though...on our way back down

Whoooaaa! it was clear just how crowded the whole situation had become!

The vans were backed up literally for about a quarter-mile down the narrow road

and we were thanking our lucky stars -and Alvin- that we were on the early side of things.

It was our trip back down from Trafalgar that was hairy-scary

passing the other vans only by both drivers folding in their wing-mirrors :eek:

I've been lurking but have to say thanks to everyone for the beautiful pictures and ideas.

Loving it. Even had me checking the port schedule. Looks like I lucked out and the only one ship in port (Victory) except for Barbados and aiming for Silvermoon for that one (waiting on the 6 month deadline) but otherwise have a schedule with Shasha who sound great also but are only offering the 3 1/2 hr catamaran until more sign up and I want a full day:) Can't think of a nicer time.

Thanks again and keep it coming.

Nan

Instead of starting a new thread and getting flammed, as I did not search the right thing out.....

When I was on Victory this past February, I remember seeing a service to where they will load your luggage and take it to the airport and ensure that it gets on your flight. Has anyone done this, how much does it cost (per bag), has it worked out well, and what happens if your luggage is .01 pounds over the weight restriction.

We are going again in February and would like to do this, if it was not something I am just imagining, any help would be much appreciated!

Instead of starting a new thread and getting flammed, as I did not search the right thing out.....

When I was on Victory this past February, I remember seeing a service to where they will load your luggage and take it to the airport and ensure that it gets on your flight. Has anyone done this, how much does it cost (per bag), has it worked out well, and what happens if your luggage is .01 pounds over the weight restriction.

We are going again in February and would like to do this, if it was not something I am just imagining, any help would be much appreciated!

WeddingCrasher,

We used the luggage express a few weeks ago. The cost is $20 per person ( I think. We only had 2 bags and two people) The paper they leave in the room says that the airlines will also have a charge. Delta did not. You still have to find your luggage in the terminal and take it through customs. Took us about 10 min. Then you take it to exit gate at the port entrance and they take it from there. Our luggage arrived in Pitts. when our flight did. It was worth the $.

Mrsosci

I posted on the Dominica board, but since we'll be on the Victory, and I see you discussing how busy it can get, particularly Trafalgar falls, I'll ask here...

We don't get into port until 10:00, and 2 other ships will be in port that day (which both arrive earlier). So there will be no beating the rush. We'd really like to snorkel Champagne reef, but we'd like to see at least one falls. I emailed Levi at Bumpiing and he suggested the Roseau treasures tour AND snorkeling (the reply was a bit canned - cut and pasted itinerary) I'm worried there just won't be time and we don't get to snorkel. I'll be bummed if it's because we're stuck in traffic at Trafalgar, or going to the Botanical gardens or Sulphur springs that I'm not interested in (I hate the smell of sulphur).

Would you suggest giving the tour, and Trafalgar a miss, and getting a driver to instead take us to one location (maybe Titou?) and then head to the reef? ...or????

We just got back from the Victory cruise and did the 5 hour Shasa tour. Would have been perfectly happy with the 3 hour cruise.

Jason is fabulous (captain of catamaran). 3 hour cruise was snorkling with sea turtles and snorkling over the shipwreck. 5 hour tour also included lunch and more swim/beach time at a different beach. Did not leave much time to see the city or shop or take that into account when booking. Shasa also will only have a max of 12 people so it is very intimate instead of way more people in the water/on the boat.

Highly recommend Shasa for the personalized touch. Good luck

I posted on the Dominica board, but since we'll be on the Victory, and I see you discussing how busy it can get, particularly Trafalgar falls, I'll ask here...

We don't get into port until 10:00, and 2 other ships will be in port that day (which both arrive earlier). So there will be no beating the rush. We'd really like to snorkel Champagne reef, but we'd like to see at least one falls. I emailed Levi at Bumpiing and he suggested the Roseau treasures tour AND snorkeling (the reply was a bit canned - cut and pasted itinerary) I'm worried there just won't be time and we don't get to snorkel. I'll be bummed if it's because we're stuck in traffic at Trafalgar, or going to the Botanical gardens or Sulphur springs that I'm not interested in (I hate the smell of sulphur).

Would you suggest giving the tour, and Trafalgar a miss, and getting a driver to instead take us to one location (maybe Titou?) and then head to the reef? ...or????

Funny you should ask that. We came off the Victory this past May and we had a Catamaran tour to Champagne Reef. The tour operator cancelled due to boat trouble. So we walked off the ship and grabbed a taxi who took us to Trafalgar falls and Champagne Reef. It worked out better than the catamaran I think.

Just make sure if he recruits more people to go along, that they have the same interests as you.

Sunseeker,

Our friends did the Treasures while we did the Best. We were the only ship in port. They were caught in a bigger traffic jam than we were when arriving at the Falls because of the hike. They did get it all in BUT ... We were told to be back on board a 5:30 - sailing at 6. Our room was on side where boarding takes place and we were watching ropes being untied. The walk ways were removed and here comes our CC friends at 5:40 running across the dock to get the ship. They caught an ear full when they came on board. They asked Levi about cutting the tour short because of time. He told them not a problem. They could do it all and get back in plenty of time. Didn't happen. They were so scared they would be left without a ship. Almost did. That's cutting it a little close but tour guide is driving. Needless to say the folks were very upset.

The sulphur springs do not smell. You aren't there that long anyway. We spent our time fighting for a spot to see the falls. Small platform and some folks won't move to make room for others. The Gardens are a drive through. Only took about 10 min. Not worth the time, but one couple wanted to see it.

If you really want the snorkel part I suggest you book with someone else. Our late CC friends barely got in the water. If we ever make it back I plan on doing just that.

Mrsosci

I am curious about the differneces between the Atlantic and Pacific Dining Rooms on the Victory. On past cruises on other ships I have always dined in the aft dining room, but wonder if I may be missing something in the midship dining room.

Are they both two story and have the nice staircase at the entrance?

Can you see outside from both?

Do you past cruisers have any preference?

Thanks!

Patti

We cruised Victory last February and will be returning this February, great cruise and great time! Does anyone know if the evening show entertainment changes? I am assuming with contracts and all, that actors/performers may change, however, do the shows? Also, will there be new entertainers/comedians? I think they could do away with the magician....

We don't get into port until 10:00, and 2 other ships will be in port that day (which both arrive earlier). So there will be no beating the rush. We'd really like to snorkel Champagne reef, but we'd like to see at least one falls.

I don't think you can predict how crowded the falls will be, it all depends on each day & what people are planning for their day in Dominica.

We found a taxi driver at the pier, he took us up to the falls, we were the only ones on the plateform and got a great family picture, the springs are right there, they were great! first we swam in the cold water at the base of the falls, then walked over to the sulfer springs for a hot dip, theu don't smell but have a tingling feeling on your body. The driver then took us thru the gardens on our way to Champagne reef, we had over an hour to snorkel, on the way back, we went thru town and he pointed out the enteresting spots & where his family lived, we had enough time to go back to the ship, change and do a little shopping.

I am curious about the differneces between the Atlantic and Pacific Dining Rooms on the Victory. On past cruises on other ships I have always dined in the aft dining room, but wonder if I may be missing something in the midship dining room.

Can you see outside from both?

Thanks!

Patti

The Atlantic is the smaller of the two & they are both two story with stairs. The Pacific has a better view off the back of the ship if you get your table assigned there, but if you have late sitting in the winter time it's going to be dark anyway. It doesn't matter much to me, I'm in there for one reason.... to EAT!!!

Steve

I am curious about the differences between the Atlantic and Pacific Dining Rooms on the Victory. ===> Not much

On past cruises on other ships I have always dined in the aft dining room,

but wonder if I may be missing something in the midship dining room. ===> Less ship motion?

Can you see outside from both? ===> Yes.

I've eaten in both now and the feel is the same.

here are some pics of the midships Atlantic DR, taken in Apr. 09

DR-063.jpg

DR-065.jpg

I've eaten in both now and the feel is the same.

here are some pics of the midships Atlantic DR, taken in Apr. 09

Wow aplmac! This is where that fisheye/wide angle lens truly shows it's worth. It's awsome how the whole dining room is in view. Nice work Apl!!!!

Thank you all very much. Your information is helpful. I was considering calling to request one or the other, but as a result of your comments I think I will just wait and see what we get and just enjoy the adventure!

I emailed Reyno tonight, he is giving us the tour we wanted (Champagne Reef, Titou, Trafalgar Falls, Mr Nice's) plus more (Sulphur Springs, Botanic garden, etc) and the only thing that won't fit due to time/location is Emerald Pool (it was that or Titou)

We're getting a personal 4-5 hour or more tour for the 2 of us for $160 plus park entrance fees totalling $40 (I think - maybe just $20)

He emailed me back within a couple of hours of my request.

Sunseeker,

Our friends did the Treasures while we did the Best. We were the only ship in port. They were caught in a bigger traffic jam than we were when arriving at the Falls because of the hike. They did get it all in BUT ... We were told to be back on board a 5:30 - sailing at 6. Our room was on side where boarding takes place and we were watching ropes being untied. The walk ways were removed and here comes our CC friends at 5:40 running across the dock to get the ship. They caught an ear full when they came on board. They asked Levi about cutting the tour short because of time. He told them not a problem. They could do it all and get back in plenty of time. Didn't happen. They were so scared they would be left without a ship. Almost did. That's cutting it a little close but tour guide is driving. Needless to say the folks were very upset.

The sulphur springs do not smell. You aren't there that long anyway. We spent our time fighting for a spot to see the falls. Small platform and some folks won't move to make room for others. The Gardens are a drive through. Only took about 10 min. Not worth the time, but one couple wanted to see it.

If you really want the snorkel part I suggest you book with someone else. Our late CC friends barely got in the water. If we ever make it back I plan on doing just that.

Mrsosci

Lots of people saying not to worry, (particularly on the Dominica board where they may well not have been on the Victory with a shorter stay) but this one makes we nervous. I'd rather do a couple of things in a relaxed manner than try and race about the island trying to do everything (especially with the risk of traffic jams). You definitely gave me something to think about. Going to consider how important the snorkel is and whether or not to chance not doing it... or just take a cab and do 2 things. Thanks for the warning :)

P.S. Loving all the photos! Keep 'em coming :)

Edited by sunseeker09
fixed typos - it's late

Lots of people saying not to worry, (particularly on the Dominica board where they may well not have been on the Victory with a shorter stay) but this one makes we nervous. I'd rather do a couple of things in a relaxed manner than try and race about the island trying to do everything (especially with the risk of traffic jams). You definitely gave me something to think about. Going to consider how important the snorkel is and whether or not to chance not doing it... or just take a cab and do 2 things. Thanks for the warning

P.S. Loving all the photos! Keep 'em coming

100_6360.jpg

100_6365.jpg

P5120261.jpg

P5120224.jpg

P5120226.jpg

P5120219.jpg

I was considering calling to request one or the other,

but as a result of your comments I think I will just wait and see what we get

and just enjoy the adventure!

Yes, it's hardly worth the effort, I reckon..

Here are some shots from the aft Dining Room on Victory

from our Nov.08 cruise...

DiningRoom-950.jpg

Pacific-988.jpg

I love this thread! I have pages and pages of notes... and we won't even be on the Victory for a year and a half! :)

I DO have one quick question. Are there any free/inexpensive things you'd suggest doing? We have seven families going, and only two of us are really financially stable. (My husband's parents, and my little family - because we're the oldest!) One family is in the middle of building their dream house, another just bought a house and is completely renovating it... and both families have young children! The other three couples are still poor college students. Anyways! Because it's a Christmas cruise the cruise + airfare for each of them is going to be $1200-1300 per person, so I'm trying to find ways to NOT spend a lot of money in port.

Thanks in advance! :)