NCL Is Unfair

luv2bcruzng

First of all, let me state that we have cruised with NCL five times and really have enjoyed all the cruises. In Sept. we booked the Spirit, sailing 12/17 thru 12/26. We had to pay in full because it was a holiday sailing - this was NCL's policy.

Two weeks ago the cruise is reduced. Our cabin is now $300 a person less than what we paid. When we contacted NCL and also our travel agent we were told since we already paid in full, there can be no rebate of funds. Well we only paid in full since NCL insisted on it.

We are already booked in a wonderful cabin, therefore we turned down their offer of an upgrade - there was no place better to go, except a suite, which was not offered.

After many days of complaining to various people, NCL has given us $50 credit per person per cabin. WOW!!! Our travel agent offered to rebate the difference personally, but we wouldn't accept that -its not her fault.

With NCL we have learned to wait till 30 days before sailing to book a cabin. We have found out that is when the fire sale begins on cabins that haven't been booked previously.

Any suggestions you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Reba

I agree. I paid my fare upfront ($1492 for 2 people - no air fare) for a 7 day cruise. I met a couple on board who booked 2 weeks before the cruise and paid less than $1000!

I'm with you, I will wait until the last minute to book!

.....fan of NCL, too. But this is one thing that really irks me. Beleive me this is not the first time this topic has been bandied about on CC. I've had it happen to me before, too. Not to the tune of $300 bucks but.....

NCL ALWAYS SEEMS TO DROP THE PRICES JUST AFTER FINAL PAYMENT DATE.!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Many other cruiselines will rebate the difference or at least offer a substantial upgrage. Not NCL. It has forced me to upgrade on several occasions just so I could feel like I was getting my money's worth. :( There always seemed to be a healthy number of suites or mini suites available at a reasonable price towards sailing date. For example, I booked an inside cabin for the Dawn. I waited until the end and called about an upgrade. I got a mini-suite for an additional $300. Thats about a 10 category upsell that if I had booked and paid for early, would have cost me over $1,000 more!!!

Unfortunately, the Spirit is the exception to the rule in this strategy. Once you get to a balcony BA, it's tough to go up. Because there are only 18 suites TOTAL on this ship. In contrast, the Dawn has about 150 and the new Jewel has TEN TIMES AS MANY - 180!!! Spirit suites for this itinerary have been booked for months by regular suite passengers, and travel agents sometimes hold them until the very end. Supply and demand theory at work, I suppose.

I think NCL is shooting itself in the foot here. Eventually, it will encourage passengers to book later and later and cause NCL to drop overall prices lower and lower to achieve the occupancy rates they MUST have in order to stay in business.

Why book ahead when you can wait and save money?????

MrTractor<--------likes to plan ahead, but loves a last minute bargain and can be very patient to get the price he wants.........

OK... this has been beaten to death here in this forum many times. Timing is everything, yours just happened to not be the best in this case.

NCL obviously does not like to sail with empty cabins. So, close to sail date, there will often (but not always) be deals that can be had. Does this mean that EVERYONE who booked well in advance and has already paid in full (60 days prior to sailing) is entitled to a discount? I really do not think so. Think of it as a commodity... the remaining cabins are on sale.. not cabins already sold.

Now, you could have waited to book until you saw the price go down... but there is never a guarantee that this will occur. Perhaps you may not have been able to get the type of cabin you wanted if you waited too long.

Bottom line, at the time you booked, you no doubt were satisfied with the price you were getting, so why not take the $50 bucks and enjoy your vacation in your nice cabin?

I agree with cliffd64. Booking early provides the benefits of getting the sailing that you want, getting the specific cabin or category that you want, allows you to book airfare in advance (usually cheaper than last-minute), and allows you to plan ahead (many people need to do so with their employers and/or fellow travelers). If none of these factors are important to you, then you would probably be better off waiting and taking advantage of the last-minute offers. Otherwise, book early at a fare that you feel is fair and recognize that there may be a cost premium attached to the early-booking benefits. I don't feel that the cruise line owes anyone a rebate or credit after full payment is due and paid if it decides to fill the rest of the ship with discounted fares.

Thanks for the sympathy. It just irks me that the people in the cabin right next door to us could have paid $600 less than we did. That is a BIG difference. I even asked the people at NCL to give me $600 credit on a future cruise!! How stupid of them to not agree to that.

I have been told that other cruise lines, for example, RCCL - when they state a price they stick with it, even if they have to sail with empty cabins. On those ships if you try to get an upgrade they are more willing to make the customer happy.

I guess from what I am reading - I really have no recourse with NCL.

Reba

It's not that I don't have any sympathy. We have all (at one time or another) been irked by the knowledge that the person sitting next to us on a plane paid less, or that our neighbor paid less for the exact same car, or that hotels seem to change their room rates on an hourly basis. But it happens. My feeling is that if I'm happy with the amount I paid, then I don't care what others paid. To me, I've agreed to a price. It's a contract and I honor it.

I guess I could care less how much my neighbors spent on their cabin... I certainly wouldn't let it affect my trip :) I book my trip and then all energy after that moment is spent on enjoying ourselves. :)

For example, I have plane tickets to San Diego in July 2005.. and they were FREE ($0). I sincerely doubt the person next to me will also be free, and it won't ruin his or her flight even though it was more costly.

Have a good cruise anyway :)

I understand with both sides. Since I just sailed on my first cruise, and loved NCL service on Board, I will stay with them but, will not book so far in advance next time.

Like johnql said, since I can drive to Charleston to sail on the Majesty again and have a flexible boss, in the future I will try and book short notice. I understand it may be an interior room, etc...but well worth the price difference to me.

I have been told that other cruise lines, for example, RCCL - when they state a price they stick with it, even if they have to sail with empty cabins.

Reba

Actually RCCL has been known to have some huge fare reductions in the last couple weeks before a cruise sails. They call them "happy hour fares" and are valid only for new bookings.

-Monte

I booked some flights, Disneyland tickes, different hotels, rental cars, and the cruise for my recent vacation. I booked everything well in advance but watched for quite a while before booking to see if I could predict trends, find the best prices, etc. I did really good overall and booked my airline tickets before the prices went up because of fuel prices (I heard rumors), got a 5-day pass to Disneyland for the price of a 3-day, got the best rates I could on hotels, etc.

One flight I booked, however, ended up going WAY down in price almost to the point where a $100 cancellation/rebooking fee could have saved me money on a $276 ticket. But...I knew it was just the toss of the dice and I lost on that one. I didn't get mad at the online booking agent or the airline because the price went down by that much.

I do my research, figure out when it will be best for me to finalize plans, save up the money, and go for it. Then I watch every couple of days to see if I did good or not and to learn for the next time. If I would have waited until the last minute to book the cruise, I would have been VERY disappointed since the cruise was fully booked and I would have been out of luck.

Emi

.....like the airlines. They'll end up in the same pickle! Hotels have a different business model. It's more tied to LOCATION, and that doesn't apply.

Airlines ........operate the same way.

I don't think I'd use that analogy. Nearly every major airline is BANKRUPT!!

I'm not comfortable with the cruiseline's system. If you all are happy about paying 20-40 % more for a cruise than you have to and can justify it in your own mind, I think that's great! In fact it might even make it a little more likely that I'll be able to get a better deal!!!

And I can accept that this is just "the way it is." So I think I'll just take my chances with after final payment date and last minute bookings from now on. And I'll upgrade at the pier, too. There are so many ships plying the oceans that with just a little bit of flexibility, I can get some awfully good bargains.

This business about the great benefits of early booking is HORSEFEATHERS.

There is so much capacity in the industry, that if you are even just the slightest bit flexible in terms of the line you'll travel, the itinerary, the type of cabin etc. then you'll have the advantage, not the cruise line.

And as far as airfare is concerned, the airlines are so squirelly that you never know when the best fare is going to come along. If found that the time for getting a bargain is not 2-3 weeks out or 60-70 days out (the typical final payment date for cruises), it's right around 4-6 weeks out. Abut that time, if an airline starts seeing lower demand, they'll start having sales. And the the next one follows suit. I typically get non-stop major airline airfare to Florida in the winter for under $150 from Washington, DC. If I book right now, it will cost me $250 - 400. They are counting on me losing my nerve, I guess. As if I won't be able to find a flight. HA!

All I'm saying here is that the savings you'll get by booking a few weeks after final payment or last minute and being flexible......

WILL FAR EXCEED THE DIFFERENCE IN THE AIRFARE - IF THERE IS ANY.

Saving $1,000 per cabin is more than the airfare for TWO ROUND TRIP TICKETS.

Where is the savings? Where is the advantage?

Somebody 'splain it to me, Lucy!!!

MrTractor<--------------does a wicked version of BABALOOOO......

Sorry Mrtractor,

I do not agree with most of your opinions. What most people are not happy with is not that they are paying more then then have too but that someone is getting a better deal then them. Everyone researches the prices then they look for a cruise an get the best deal at the time with the cruise line they choose. If someone like you who is very flexible comes along and gets a steal Im not going to blame the the cruiseline or begrudge the person for getting such a great deal. I got the best possible deal at the time for what I considered a good comparable price. If

the cruiseline or airline for that matter needs to sell seats

or cabins at the last min. I have no control over that. Some

of us with children in school cannot gamble with schedule

like yourself. I doubt there is much flexibility to upgrade or catch a steal during these time.

Buy the way Ive enjoyed your reviews very much.

HLP

I'll pay for it out of my allowance, Mr Tractor....oh please can't I keep my Don Loper original, Please ?!?!

***okay the mere fact that I can quote I Love Lucy verbatim frightens me just a little bit :) ***

Just to compare apples to apples...

I'm on the Dawn sailing 12/30/04 and I booked a BE gty for 1750 pp including ports and taxes... I booked in August I believe... Anyways.. BE went from 1849(the posted rate when I booked) to 1949 to 2149 and sold out at 2199... Now even the bargain basement rooms are booking at 1349 up from 1299 a month ago...

Moral of the story is do your research and if you are Mr. Tractor and have lots of vacation flexbility and don't sail during peaks then roll the dice...

No cruiseline will refund after final payment...I booked in August on a holiday sailing and didn't have to make final payment till November 1st....

Chris Connolly <=== your travel agent's favorite travel agent.

Mr. Tractor I agree with everything you had to say about the cruiselines.

Look at all the other competitive industries out there. I just bought a plasma TV at Circuit City. They put it on sale after my purchase and they gave me the price difference without any hassle. This actually happened two times during the first thirty days of my purchase. At this point, I know the rules and would not expect any other discounts. I just like a company to be honest and treat everyone fairly.

I research major purchases and checked thoroughly before buying this cruise. The price was basically the same throughout the industry and therefore I booked it. If the cruise was later discounted $50 or $100 I wouldn't be quite as upset, but $300 a person is significant.

Equality and fairness to customers throughout the travel industry would really be appreciated.

Reba

The airline definitely won't give me any money back if they hold a seat sale or a sell-off after I've paid my fare.... Every person on the airplane could have paid a different price, based on when they booked.

Hotels are the same... they have a multitude of pricing schedules, and there are also sell-offs and sales to be had if you are flexible and search around... Same with package tours (ie Vegas) or any number of other travel services... I book the best price I can, then close my eyes, the aggravation alone isn't worth it otherwise....

And, boy would I love to live close to a port to take advantage of the sell-off prices! Would be great... I think it is a fact of life in an industry that has to manage capacity in order to survive. The cruiseline really need every "seat" filled and spending $$$ in order to make the margins, is my guess. We all want low prices, so they can't sail with too many empty spots.....

The airline definitely won't give me any money back if they hold a seat sale or a sell-off after I've paid my fare.... Every person on the airplane could have paid a different price, based on when they booked.

No but Southwest will give you credit towards another flight if the price of your flight goes lower.

.....AUDACITY.......

TO DISAGREE WITH GREAT AND POWERFUL MrTRACTOR!!!!

******[smoke billows from out of the great smokestack of the Tractor GOD!!!!

KAAABOOOOOOOM,

CRRRAAAAASSSSSSH

A great wailing sound like the screeching of an army of fan belts echos down the long hallway as the fearstruck passengers await their fate......Finally a thunderous voice fills the room like a thousand diesel engines roaring at once.]******

:mad: IMPUDENCE!!! :mad:

UMBWAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAHHAHHAHahaahahaAAAAA!!!!!....

KIDDING!!!!!!

I don't mind if you don't agree. It's more interesting when there are different opinions! Really!!!

Thanks for your kind words about the reviews. I get a little carried away, but all in all I'm just trying to help someone else get as much enjoyment out of the cruise as I did. Where are you off to next???

OK, Lucy. You can keep your "Duke of Beverly Hills" silk dress. But.....

.....JEU GODDA LODDA SPLAININ' TO DOO!!!!!

(I still have a couple of Don Loper neckties!)

Chris,

That's cheating. First this is a Holiday Sailing out of New Freekin' York. If you are from New York, just gotta be at sea on New Years and refuse to fly to the Caribbean, they you get what you get. Just recently the price of my cruise in a BB balcony went up after the final payment. But surprisingly the price of the BAs went down! Don't ask me to explain the cruise lines system. I've already said it doesn't make sense to me!

And second, I don't think it's accurate that NO CRUISELINE WILL REFUND YOU IF THE PRICE GOES DOWN. Holland America has done this as long as I can remember. Have they stopped? And on my last RCL cruise, I upgraded from a balcony to an AB for $39 after final payment date because the price of the suites had dropped so low. At least they gave me something!

Which leads me to my final point about upgrading to an available suite or better cabin. If I'm staying at a hotel and I'm paying $200 for a standard room and while I'm signing my credit card bill, I hear somebody who just walked in off the street being offered the Presidential suite for $150, or the same kind of room I'm in for fify bucks, you're darn right I'm gonna be unhappy. And don't start in about "Frequent Guest Programs." If they are getting a "free" room, somebody, either them or their employer paid for it, little by little, everytime they stayed at that chain.

So 'splain to me again what is wrong with giving Reba an opportunity to upgrade at no charge. And failing that, why not give her a rebate? In this case, you can't even get a suite on the Spirit. On nearly any other ship, there would be room to move up. (Unless it's NYE in NfY, HAHAHAhaaaaaa....!!!)

I hope you have a great New Year's cruise no matter how much you paid. Have you been at sea for NYE before? Sounds kewel!!!!

MrTractor<------------isn't the great and powerful TRACTOR GOD, but he plays one on the internet!!!....UMBEWAHAAAHHAHHAHAHAAHahaahaaaaaa.......

It's not that I don't have any sympathy. We have all (at one time or another) been irked by the knowledge that the person sitting next to us on a plane paid less, or that our neighbor paid less for the exact same car, or that hotels seem to change their room rates on an hourly basis. But it happens. My feeling is that if I'm happy with the amount I paid, then I don't care what others paid. To me, I've agreed to a price. It's a contract and I honor it.

You are, of course, absolutely correct. How about the fellow employee who does less and gets paid more? The list is endless.

As my first boss told me: "Don't look over your shoulder; you'll just make yourself unhappy?"

To the OP I say let it go. Go on your cruise and have a great time. If you can blow six grand on a plasma TV, six hundred bucks isn't the end of the world. :)

Not sure why it's unfair. The cruise line will do whatever they can to make a profit. If you had taken the upgrade, chances are they would have made more money off of filling the cabin you upgraded out of. So they charge you a mere 100.00 or whatever to upgrade. They still make a profit. Then they make a profit by selling your room you left behind.

A lot of it is the politics of cruising, the fine print, and clever marketing to have the consumer think they are getting a bargain. Believe me, do the research and you'll see. It's a whole other world behind the marketing scenes, etc..all guaranteed to make you think your getting a bargain. Think of it this way: if the prices of cabins are slashed that dramatically, the customer thinks they are getting a bargain. On the converse, it also gives you an idea how much the rooms are marked up to gain a profit. Menina

The other side of the story and why you may want to book early and not take the risk.

I have planned since I got of the Dawn last Feb to return in Feb. 05. I could have booked last March but passed waiting for the fares to come down since they were about 10% above what I had paid before.

Long story short we are past final payment, there is inventory in most catagories and rates continue to climb. An AF that in March could have been booked for 3300 is currently over 4500 and a Cat f ouside is 500 more then I could have booked a BA. In fact the lowest inside GTD is more then I paid for the BA in Feb 04.

Is that fair? We all want to get credit for last minute price reductions but it does not always pay to wait.

If you want adjustable pricing are you willing to take the risk. Book your cabin of choice early and ride the pricing wave. UP and Down! How fustrated would we be if our final payment was 300 more then planned.

I traditionally have booked last minute and understand that I may not get the cabin, date, or price I would like but have the option not to go.

I am sitting here with my MBNA voucher watching the price everyday to decide if I will even join the cruise this winter. I will not pay more for an inside then I did for a BA last winter. I will not help make the escalating prices successfull for NCL.

I like Freestyle because it gives me choices. We also have choices in booking a cruise. Book early for the know fair price and cabin of choice( I have done that for 06 - Aft facing BA :) ). Book late if and only if I get a deal.

If you want to take advantage of last minute pricing you have to be willing to take the good with the bad.

Archived