Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

The Chase is $110 a night which seems great including the shuttle. My cruise is 2/26/06-3/02/06 and I'm planning a Sunday-Wed post stay.

Bob, how did you like The Chase, now that you're back from your cruise. Was it CLEAN?

Thanks,

Gramsof7- You are better off at Springhill Suites (by Marriott). That's a much nicer place. It might cost a little more, but you always get what you pay for. I'm not familiar with a LaQuinta down closer to the cruise terminals. Ken

Ken, about the only place in Tampa (reasonably priced) that we can get into at this point, is the Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore. They have airport shuttle service, plus scheduled shuttle service to the pier @ $5.00/pp. Being as how there are four of us, we probably can't all fit in a taxi (unless they have REALLY big trunks!), and if I recall, my husband called the taxi services, and they quoted $15/20 from the airport to the pier.

Do you know anything about this Hilton Hotel? Would you choose it over LaQuinta on Spruce Street?

Thanks again!

Gramsof7 - There's no comparison. I'd jump on the Hilton like white on rice.:) See post #133 above on this thread for some info on it. I've discussed that place with someone in the past too, somewhere on the thread. The shuttle to the port is a real plus. This isn't too far down the street E of the the LaQuinta. The LaQuinta is one of the old style places with outside entry. The Hilton is a nice high rise hotel. It's in a nice area on Lois Ave near Spruce. You could even walk across the street for dinner if you like. There's a nice (kind of upscale) BBQ place across the street on the corner, Leroy Selmon's. A steak place is next door to that. There's an upscale mall across the highway, and they have a Cheesecake Factory restaurant there.

imosoreal - That Marriott is part of the Tampa Intl Airport terminal complex. You can go from the airport to the hotel without going outside. It's a nice hotel. If you like, there's a very nice restaurant up on top of the hotel called CK's. It's a round rotating restaurant. It's a little pricey, but worth every penny. I have eaten there before, on more than one occassion. I haven't heard or seen anything bad about that hotel. We spent our honeymoon there over 20 yrs ago, and the price you have is about what I spent way back then. Also, as mdc99 said, the Bahama Breeze is a nice restaurant out at Rocky Point, just to the W of the airport. Good food, nice atmosphere.

Ken

We just returned last week from our Splendour cruise. We stayed at the Marriot west shore Thurs. and the Hyatt downtown Fri.The Marriot was nice, close to the mall, big sports bar,nice pool area. It was 50 degrees and we still had a nice swim in the indoor/outdoor pool. The Hyatt was also great. I went for an early swim in the heated pool then sat in the wirlpoool. Nice way to start a cruise. I looked toward the channel from the large pool deck on the 5th floor, and to my surprize I saw the big blue anchor (Royal Caribbeans Logo) on the Splendour. I would reccomend either of these hotels.

Harry

Gramsof7 - There's no comparison. I'd jump on the Hilton like white on rice.:) Ken

Somehow I thought you would say that, Cracker Ken. :D This is about the only hotel I could find that has space available on the dates for which I need them. It didn't show up in all my searches of a couple of months ago, and I'm not sure why. The price is terrific for four of us. We booked online at Net Direct Rates - $107/per night. Still affordable at their regular rates at $119, and senior rates are $113. My regret is, we aren't getting in before 11:00 at night, so we can enjoy it.

Thanks for all your advice! You are terrific, and it is so nice not to go into some of these places blind!

We just returned last week from our Splendour cruise. We stayed at the Marriot west shore Thurs. and the Hyatt downtown Fri.Harry

Harry, There are no rooms available for those places on the dates for which I need them. Think I checked them out a couple of months ago, and because of time constraints, all we get to do in Tampa is sleep and go. We don't get in until 11:00 p.m., and those are a little expensive for such a short stay for four of us. Thank you for your advice. Maybe when it's just my husband and myself, we will give those hotels a try.

Sorry if this was answered earlier - I skimmed the messages and didn't see it:

We'll be driving to Tampa, so are looking for a hotel that will let you park your car there during the cruise. The Port of Tampa lot charges $10 per day according to their Web site. Does anyone know of hotels that let you do this?

karen11g - There's not an abundance of hotels that let you leave your car there while on a cruise. The LaQuinta Inn (see post #135 above on page 6), near the airport on W. Spruce offers this service and builds the fee into the hotel stay. I've heard that the Embassy Suites Hotel on Westshore Blvd. allows cars to be left in their garage, but I don't know how much they charge, if anything. That's the only 2 that come to mind.

Ken

Cape Codder - I was just out there next door to Sailport this afternoon. As for distance from the port, it's about 9.5 miles. It would take 15 minutes to make the trip on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Considerably longer on a weekday (as much as 45 minutes if during rush hour, worse if there's a wreck). I've been in a few of the rooms at Sailport with my co-workers. Our company used to put people up in those rooms while in town on business. The rooms are little vacation condos, with a little sitting area, a kitchen and dining area, a bed room, and bunks in the hallway. They aren't fancy or luxurious, but clean and very adequate. As I recall, all of the rooms face the west, some to the NW and some to the SW. They have tennis courts and a little beach area. They do a lot of business, and the military houses people there as well (pilots from the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds, and others doing duty at MacDill AFB in Tampa). This won't be like staying at the Marriott or Sheraton, but it seems OK to me. The resort sits right on Old Tampa Bay on the Courtney Campbell Causway W. of the Tampa Intl. Airport. Nice view, and nice sunsets. If any other questions, just ask me.

Ken

We used the Quorum for our pre-cruise stay in Dec.. Airport pick up but cab to pier. The food there was great and they had a managers special in the evening,beer 1$ a glass and wine half off.One of the best beds I have slept in at a hotel and a mall within walking distance all on Westshore. The staff had a great attitude. Very helpful.

setsail - Of all the hotels we have talked about on this thread, the Quorum is one we haven't dealt with. That property was recently refurbished and changed from a Crown Plaza (High end Holiday Inn). I didn't know much about it, so I haven't recommended it to anyone. I've been there to eat, and to functions in the conferrence center before and it was really a nice place (Crown Plaza at the time). Nice to hear from someone who has been there since it changed hands.

For those interested - This hotel is on the SW corner of W. Cypress St. and Westshore Blvd, a block N. of I-275. This is in the Westshore Business District, just S. of the Tampa Intl Airport. It's across the street from the Marriott Westshore, and just S of the Springhill Suites on Cypress. This is about 7 miles from the cruise terminal, and a mile or two from the airport. Here are a couple of links related to the hotel:

http://www.quorumtampa.com/index.cfm

http://www.hotel-rates.com/us/florida/tampa/quorum-hotel-tampa-westshore.html

Ken

Their bar area is huge and has 6 flat panel tvs and also tables for eating. The bar servers will bring you a menue from the restuarant and you can eat there if you want. Almost anything goes with the staff, just like being on a cruise. When we booked this hotel it was a holiday inn but had changed when we stayed there. They also told us that they had their eye on a couple other properties. Money must not be a problem.

Dear Cracker Ken

You have been so helpful to so many. I have read this thread and checked out many options .I think perhaps Im just too overwelmed to make a decision. Could you offer me a suggestion for a hotel ( clean but cheap) for 6 of us. We would even consider sharing a suite if the price was right. I would be very thankful to you for your help. Sharon

Dear Karen11g Thanks for the great tip. I had been going crazy trying to find an affordable suite for our party of 6. You were so kind to give us a direct link and I went straight there and got the same deal. Thank you very much. Its an especially great deal when you think of all the perks in the transportation. I even checked the reviews on http://www.TripAdvisor.com and the reviews were very good. We will be staying there both pre and post on the 3rd of april and the 15th of april as well. Again I thank you very much. Sharon

Dollyo - Glad it worked (It's the first time I've put in a link)! We're a family of five and our kids are older. I debated whether we could get away with the studio, but decided to take the two-bedroom. I'd love to pay the lower rate - Which did you choose? (We're not going til summer, so I have time to change my mind.)

dollyo - I read your post yesterday, and the boards were so slow last night that I gave up on trying to respond. I gave it a lot of thought, and while I was out in the Rocky Point area today I noticed the Chase Suites and it served as a reminder. I was going to recommend that too, since they have the suites and the transport and all that. I think someone else on the thread has stayed there too, and they liked it, in addition to karen11g (thanks for helping out). The company I work for has offices out there, and they have a deal with Chase Suites to house employees who come into Tampa. They all love it too. There's a nice place to eat next door, Bahama Breeze. Over at the Days Inn up by the highway, is a place called the Green Iquana. It's kind of a Caribbean flavored Bar/Grill/Restaurant place. Us guys from the ofc go over there to eat often. They have great burgers and really good fries, as well as lots of other stuff. Another place up on the main road nearby is Landry's Seafood. Rocky Point is quiet and out of the way. Chase Suites sits right on the bay. Have fun!:cool:

Ken

Karen

Thanks again Karen and we chose the penthouse suite at 149. per night. Which is a great deal considering all the transportation and the fact that there will be 6 adults sharing the cost. As it turns out the suite has 2 bedrooms each with a king size bed and private washroom, and there is a pull out sofabed in the livingroom next to the fireplace. Can you believe it. I guess we will pull straws to see who gets which beds.

CrackerKen

Also thank you for your help and we are very much looking forward to trying the Bahamas breeze for a nice meal and a few drinks the night we arrive. I was sure to read through all the posts that you made and felt confidence becauce you had said on previous pages that the Chase was a good choice. You are doing a great job helping others with there Tampa questions. Thanks so much. I live in Halifax Nova Scotia and although we have ships visiting here we don't have any that depart from here. However I have in the past offered people on line, a residents point of view as to where to eat and what to see while they are in port. I would be happy to do that whenever asked. Halifax is a lovely place and there is lots to see and do. Thanks again Ken

from Sharon

I think we'll stick with the bigger suite too. I think it's still a great deal, even when not splitting the cost! We'll just have to get down there early enough to take advantage of the free wine (& beer, soft drinks & hors d'ouvres) at their afternoon "Manager's Social Hour." And thanks Ken for the restaurant suggestions - we'll definitely pick from one of them for dinner.

Ken,

We have rented a car through Enterprise for our stay in Tampa. We pick up at the airport, and they said their dropoff location for the pier is:

TAMPA-SOUTHEAST

2881 N 50TH STREET

TAMPA, FL 336071459

(813) 740-9293

They said they would then give a complimentary ride to the pier. Is this location going to be hard to find? Is it an OK area? How about traffic on a Saturday?

Thanks,

Sandy

Sharon - Thanks for the compliments. We have been to Halifax one time before on HAL's Rotterdam (first cruise). Nice town. We did a tour from the ship to the Citadel, the Maritime Museum, and the Titantic Gravesites. It was an interesting tour, but I'll bet you could come up with some interesting sights to see. We have been thinking about doing a New England/Canada cruise next fall, but not sure yet.

Sandy - The E. Tampa location for Enterprise is on 50th St. just N. of I-4 on the East side of town. It's not hard to get there. You just travel E. on I-4 from I-275 out to the 50th St. exit, and go N. a few blocks. It's about 4 1/2 miles from the cruise terminal. Traffic in the area is slight on Saturday, and the interstate highways are easy (unless there is a wreck or something). There is a lot of construction in the middle of Tampa at the junction of I-4 and I-275. It's a mess, but you can make it through there. Just pay close attention to the signs so you won't miss the exits. The heavy contruction continues E on I-4 past 50th St. The exit for 50th St is just after the 40th St. overpass, so it might creep up on you fast. I would never recommend that anyone stay at a motel/hotel in that area (I've told a few folks to avoid it on this thread). If you are just going there to drop a car and catch a shuttle down to the pier, you should be OK. It's not that scary out there, but I'd never stay at a motel in the area (there just isn't much out there, and it's getting more crummy all the time). It's a shame that more rental car agencies don't have a drop off or pick-up location at the cruise terminal areas. I'm not positive, but I think there may be a drop-off place for Hertz rentals at the Marriott Waterside Hotel downtown, and it's just down the road from the terminals.

Ken