Why sail HAL?

dukeysmom

I would like to reply to this thread because if you read it, the comments come across like children are unwelcome and a nuisance and that families need not apply. While this may be the opinion /desire of the posters it's not HAL's position and I would hate for a family that is trying to decide between lines to think it's not good for them just because they have kids.

We have cruised HAL three times with our kids and have an upcoming Alaska cruise with them. Our kids love the line and HAL loves them. The ships don't have all the bells and whistles of the giant ships and the party atmosphere of some other lines but that's not what we travel for.

The reason we like HAL is because of the service and their itineraries. When we travel, we are used to staying in nice places with good customer service and with good food and HAL gives us that in cruise form. As everybody else says, the food is better than other lines, the crew is far superior in terms of customer service and friendliness and the cabins are bigger and more comfortable. There is a great kids club and since there aren't as many kids (because of the perception that families are unwelcome and that there is nothing for kids to do), the kids have a better time because it's more personalized. I understand that people hate unruly kids (I do too and my children know what will happen to them if they don't behave appropriately) but that is generally more a result of the parents not teaching their kids better-not the cruiseline.

Thanks for your response. We're cruising with our kids to Alaska on our first HAL cruise this August. I was apprehensive about booking in the first place having read too many comments on how HAL is the adult line and kids were not welcome. But the itinerary was more suitable, and frankly we're not into hairy chest contests either so we've taken the plunge. I agree unruly children are annoying, and my kids know how to behave, but they are also not going to spend 7 days behaving like they do in a library or Church - they're not destructive or rude, but they are kids and they might get excited if they see a whale! Like you said, HAL's position is that families are welcome, but I've come to the conclusion that there will always be some cruisers who don't like to share their vacation with children on board regardless.

We sailed Eurodam two weeks in March over spring break, both cruises. There were many families with kids of all ages from stroller to college and we not once had any issue with any of them.

Whatever Club HAL did with the children, they must have kept them well entertained as we saw them coming and going and all seemed happy and no one seemed to be disturbed in any way.

HAL is, these days, a true mixture of the more traditional cruiser and definitely more families. The holidays have loads of generational family groups. Grammie and Gramps, adult children and the young 'uns and it all works fine from what we have experienced.

Thanks for your response. We're cruising with our kids to Alaska on our first HAL cruise this August. I was apprehensive about booking in the first place having read too many comments on how HAL is the adult line and kids were not welcome. But the itinerary was more suitable, and frankly we're not into hairy chest contests either so we've taken the plunge. I agree unruly children are annoying, and my kids know how to behave, but they are also not going to spend 7 days behaving like they do in a library or Church - they're not destructive or rude, but they are kids and they might get excited if they see a whale! Like you said, HAL's position is that families are welcome, but I've come to the conclusion that there will always be some cruisers who don't like to share their vacation with children on board regardless.

KIids are great !!! If you encounter those who don't want to share their cruise with your kids, politely invite them to the theological place of eternal punishment. Go ahead and let your kids enjoy "their" cruise.

Go to post #5 on this link for a photo, maybe you just didn't see him.

He's been on both my HAL cruises.

We were on one HAL cruise where he was MIA the whole time, so it does happen. Also, I'm not sure if they are at the upper level dining room door all the time.

I predict that many of the replies that you get will mention (1) great crews (2) smaller ships, and (3) an adult atmosphere. :)

Great crews, relaxing, more for your money, luxury and great treatment, good food, excellent service, nice sized ships, clean ships. You name it, HAL has it.

Everyone seems to have their favorite cruise line. We've sailed RCCL, Norwegian, and have Celebrity booked. For those who prefer HAL, what are the little things that make it special?

If this has been asked before, I apologize - haven't looked through all the threads yet.

Love these boards - keeps me going till the next cruise!

We don't give secrets away!;)

Hubby just saw a cruise that visits Half Moon Cay as the last stop in March 2010 and he wants to go. We absolutely LOVE Half Moon Cay.

We haven't been on HAL for 5 years and were just wondering what has changed.

Do they still have room service that serves the same thing as in the dining room at no extra charge?

Do they still give you a beach bag?

Does HAL now have anytime dining?

Can you bring your own beer/liquor on board in your checked luggage.

Last time I visited this board there were some on here that were not very nice. Please be kind. I'm asking questions that I really don't know the answer to and just need replies that do just that.

Thanks in advance!!!

They still have the DR menu at dinner times for room service. You get your tote bag. HAL has both: fixed and anytine dining. You cannot bring beer or liquor, but you can bring wine and sodas.(That's better than most other cruise lines) Hope this helps and happy cruising.

It's funny, but the first cruise my parents ever took was on the Rotterdam 1980 and it was the best! I don't think any other cruise lived up to that one.

They loved the elegance, brass and wood, the cleanliness, good meals, excellent crew ....

DH and I are certainly looking forward to our first HAL cruise next year.

I would like to reply to this thread because if you read it, the comments come across like children are unwelcome and a nuisance and that families need not apply. While this may be the opinion /desire of the posters it's not HAL's position and I would hate for a family that is trying to decide between lines to think it's not good for them just because they have kids.

We have cruised HAL three times with our kids and have an upcoming Alaska cruise with them. Our kids love the line and HAL loves them. The ships don't have all the bells and whistles of the giant ships and the party atmosphere of some other lines but that's not what we travel for.

The reason we like HAL is because of the service and their itineraries. When we travel, we are used to staying in nice places with good customer service and with good food and HAL gives us that in cruise form. As everybody else says, the food is better than other lines, the crew is far superior in terms of customer service and friendliness and the cabins are bigger and more comfortable. There is a great kids club and since there aren't as many kids (because of the perception that families are unwelcome and that there is nothing for kids to do), the kids have a better time because it's more personalized. I understand that people hate unruly kids (I do too and my children know what will happen to them if they don't behave appropriately) but that is generally more a result of the parents not teaching their kids better-not the cruiseline.

On our HAL cruises, there have been children aboard. They were always very well behaved and in no way detracted from anyone's pleasure. I enjoyed having them as fellow passengers. That being said, I enjoy sailing with HAL because they don't have all the bells and whistles that attract families so that there aren't hoards of kids overrunning the ship---which does detract from adult enjoyment. It doesn't mean I dislike children, it just means that I like to have my vacations be a relaxing experience.

It has been my experience that the type of child who can appreciate the HAL experience is usually a more mature, well disciplined type of child. Your children sound as though they fall into this category and I would be pleased to have them around me on board a HAL ship.

It's funny, but the first cruise my parents ever took was on the Rotterdam 1980 and it was the best! I don't think any other cruise lived up to that one.

They loved the elegance, brass and wood, the cleanliness, good meals, excellent crew ....

If your parents are still living, I might suggest another HAL cruise on the Prinsendam, might just be their cup of tea. It's a little above my pocketbook, but someday!!!

KIids are great !!! If you encounter those who don't want to share their cruise with your kids, politely invite them to the theological place of eternal punishment. Go ahead and let your kids enjoy "their" cruise.

Thanks!! We're really looking forward to it! Our last cruise was Celebrity which was also quite "adult" and in that respect it was fine. The funniest was when an older lady stopped me and said that she was so impressed at how well behaved our kids were in the pool, and how she wished she could say that about the man who kept bellyflopping in! cheers, riksha

We also cruised "way back when" on the old Rotterdam... it was magnificant - it was our first cruise and I'm so glad it was on that beautiful ship (the only other HAL cruise we have done was on the Noordam - very nice as well) We hope to travel with HAL again:)

If your parents are still living, I might suggest another HAL cruise on the Prinsendam, might just be their cup of tea. It's a little above my pocketbook, but someday!!!

El, Thanks for the suggestion but my parents are in poor health and unable to travel. How I wish they could cruise with us again.

Ten years ago, my mom had bypass surgery earlier in the year and was concerned about not being able to travel on the cruise we had booked a year in advance, for the summer. Well, thank god, but they were able to cruise with us (myself, DH and our 16 yo son) and we all had a fantastic time. My mom's health started to deterioriate after the cruise.

They still talk about that last great vacation they were able to take. To all, it's so important cherish the times we have with our families and to make the time and save the money, to enjoy life's pleasures while you're able to do so. The memories and joy in our lives, are priceless.

El, Thanks for the suggestion but my parents are in poor health and unable to travel. How I wish they could cruise with us again.

Ten years ago, my mom had bypass surgery earlier in the year and was concerned about not being able to travel on the cruise we had booked a year in advance, for the summer. Well, thank god, but they were able to cruise with us (myself, DH and our 16 yo son) and we all had a fantastic time. My mom's health started to deterioriate after the cruise.

They still talk about that last great vacation they were able to take. To all, it's so important cherish the times we have with our families and to make the time and save the money, to enjoy life's pleasures while you're able to do so. The memories and joy in our lives, are priceless.

You are so right... its so important to enjoy life experiences while you can. I'm glad that they got a chance to "take that last great vacation". Cherish the good times.:)

Archived