Why sail HAL?

dukeysmom

Everyone seems to have their favorite cruise line. We've sailed RCCL, Norwegian, and have Celebrity booked. For those who prefer HAL, what are the little things that make it special?

If this has been asked before, I apologize - haven't looked through all the threads yet.

Love these boards - keeps me going till the next cruise!

The crews are the best! They remember you not only from one day to the next, but from one cruise to the next, too! :)

The ships are beautiful. They look like real ships, not merely hotels at sea. You are still able to connect with the sea. The artwork is worth taking your time to view.

It's a relaxed, refined atmosphere on board.

Food is very good. Beds are better!

(close enough, John? :D)

I whole-heartedly agree with John and Ruth. The ships are lovely with an ambiance of refined elegance ... without being stuffy. I feel like I'm coming home when I step aboard. The crews are truly outstanding. I've sailed elsewhere, and enjoyed it. But HAL is just special, IMO.

I predict that many of the replies that you get will mention (1) great crews (2) smaller ships, and (3) an adult atmosphere. :)

Could not have said it better. I personally like the idea of an evening with a brandy listening to the Resario Strings more appealing than the disco and beer night, but the ship offers both. The fact I can wear a dinner jacket and not feel out of place is an added bonus.

Drunken cannonball contests by the pool as described to me on another line are not my style, and I can do without the screams from the water slide.

Holland offers a refined but not stuffy cruising environment with smaller ships and an amazing crew. In four Holland Cruises we have found nothing to complain about, and many things we look forward to on our next cruise.

Then there is the wrap around teak promenade deck (it makes navigating the ship so easy) with wood deck chairs and blankets (especially in Alaska), fresh flowers (we had roses one trip, orchids another), robes in every cabin, the yum yum man (at the door to the dining room with mints, and goodies as you leave), chimes used to ring to announce dinner (but I've heard they have discontinued that practice), lots of brass and wood as sailing vessels of old, and the Lido buffet can't be beat. The main dining room isn't bad either. And no mammoth sized ships, although the newer ships (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam) are larger than the others. Our favorite was the "old" Noordam, and I would love to be able to afford to sail the Prinsendam. They look absolutely lovely!

I sailed once on Disney with another trip planned for Feb., but I'll be sailing on HAL this June with my sister and with everything I've been reading, I can't wait! HAL sounds like a great line.

As others have said, HAL is special, and we have yet another cruise booked on the beautiful Noordam for that reason. Recently, we sailed with Celebrity, which is very nice, but I missed so many elements of a HAL cruise, including the wonderful Explorations Cafe/library with free access to the NY Times on the Internet, the comfortable pillow-top mattresses, the excellent food and quiet atmosphere in the Pinnacle Grill, the Crow's Nest, the Neptune Lounge, the teak wrap-a-round decks, and the wonderful crew. As many say, it is like coming home when boarding a HAL ship. True relaxation always. How lucky we are to have a HAL cruise in our future.

We love HAL ships, the art, the flowers, the wrap around Promenade Deck. The elegant dining rooms, the refined atmosphere, the teak decks, the comfortable cabins, the larger than usual verandahs, the graciousness aboard, etc etc etc

But most of all we love the people of HAL. The most special crews at sea...... As written above, they not only remember so many of us from day to day but cruise to cruise and ship to ship. It is very common to be on a 'dam' ship three years after having met a particular bartender and see him again on another ship and he will remember our names, what ship we sailed with him and the year. It never ceases to amaze us! We love the crews on HAL.

When we board all HAL ships, we feel stress immediately begin to leave us but when we board our very favorite ships, we feel like we are at our second home.

And there is always someone on the gangway saying: "Welcome Aboard" and meaning it.

:)

Hi

We have cruised extensively and after being swamped with attractive specials from Hal (and other Carnival Corp. Cruise lines Co.'s) we signed up for the HAL 63 day next January. We were ready to sign up for another HAL 38 day this fall just when we just started to open up the pe-booking of excursions. We find that we must pay, today, 100% of any excursion we book, and our cruise is 8 months away. And if we cancel before final payment is due we also lose our insurance $ 100%. Every thing seemed great to us , of course based on our prior experiences which number above 60 somewhat long cruises. Seems like a rather rash financial arrangement no prudent person would enter into even if they wanted to throw their money away! I can assure you it will be our one and only HAL cruise unless we find we're mistaken.

Hi

We have cruised extensively and after being swamped with attractive specials from Hal (and other Carnival Corp. Cruise lines Co.'s) we signed up for the HAL 63 day next January. We were ready to sign up for another HAL 38 day this fall just when we just started to open up the pe-booking of excursions. We find that we must pay, today, 100% of any excursion we book, and our cruise is 8 months away. And if we cancel before final payment is due we also lose our insurance $ 100%. Every thing seemed great to us , of course based on our prior experiences which number above 60 somewhat long cruises. Seems like a rather rash financial arrangement no prudent person would enter into even if they wanted to throw their money away! I can assure you it will be our one and only HAL cruise unless we find we're mistaken.

You don't have to pre-book and pre-pay the shore excursions. You can wait until you board the ship and book (and pay for) them. Of course, you risk lack of availability. In the event you have to cancel your cruise, you would get a total refund for the excursions up to a matter of a few days prior.

I don't know any travel insurance which is refundable. Is it?

Just offering something to think about. :)

My first cruise was on the Rotterdam some 25 years ago and my next HAL cruise was on the Noordam (2 years ago). We have also sailed NCL (Dawn, Spirit & Jade). The best things about sailing on HAL are ships that are elegant, roomy with fresh flowers everywhere. Also the passengers tend to be older (never have a problem getting into a hot tub or a space in the pool - also older folks don't splash and yell or push all the elevator buttons) :D Oh and did I mention the crew.... they are absolutely the best. Polite, helpful and always greet you with a genuine smile. Yes, a HAL cruise is a little more subdued (early to bed, early to rise) but oh so relaxing and isn't that what you want on a vacation?:)

Hubby just saw a cruise that visits Half Moon Cay as the last stop in March 2010 and he wants to go. We absolutely LOVE Half Moon Cay.

We haven't been on HAL for 5 years and were just wondering what has changed.

Do they still have room service that serves the same thing as in the dining room at no extra charge?

Do they still give you a beach bag?

Does HAL now have anytime dining?

Can you bring your own beer/liquor on board in your checked luggage.

Last time I visited this board there were some on here that were not very nice. Please be kind. I'm asking questions that I really don't know the answer to and just need replies that do just that.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hubby just saw a cruise that visits Half Moon Cay as the last stop in March 2010 and he wants to go. We absolutely LOVE Half Moon Cay.

We haven't been on HAL for 5 years and were just wondering what has changed.

Do they still have room service that serves the same thing as in the dining room at no extra charge?

Yes.

Do they still give you a beach bag?

Yes.

Does HAL now have anytime dining?

Yes.

Can you bring your own beer/liquor on board in your checked luggage.

That's still against policy. You can bring as much wine, champagne, soda, and water as you can carry, though.

Last time I visited this board there were some on here that were not very nice. Please be kind. I'm asking questions that I really don't know the answer to and just need replies that do just that.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi

You could, if you wish, wait until final payment and buy your insurance from one of the many providers that allow purchases then. But as sail said, insurance is not refundable after purchase. Even with auto, home and other insurance policies the best you can get is a partial refund and even that is front end load -- they "earn" most of the premium in the first third of the covered time period.

I predict that many of the replies that you get will mention (1) great crews (2) smaller ships, and (3) an adult atmosphere. :)

I agree with all of these but would add one factor that is important to a niche group of us--the availability of a Catholic priest on HAL sailings. While this may seem silly to the overwhelming number of those who enjoy crusiing, it is important to the few of us who fall into the category of Catholics who like to cruise and feel it important to attend Sunday Mass. We are grateful to HAL for their concern in this area and choose HAL over its competitors.

*1. very few children & teens/older passengers/adult atmosphere

*2. Half Moon Cay

*3. fantastic crew

*4. great Vegetarian menu

*5. comfy beds

*6. wrap around promenade deck

7. classy ships w/ art & flowers

*8. few college kids or spring breakers/lack of drunks & partiers

*9. good itineraries

*10. free room service

*11. formal nights & dressier dinners

12. dinner chimes

13. Yum Yum Man

Great information and thread especially for those of us who have not sailed HAL. I would agree about the itineraries...they are wonderful and seriously thinking about an eastern Caribbean itinerary next winter.

I would like to reply to this thread because if you read it, the comments come across like children are unwelcome and a nuisance and that families need not apply. While this may be the opinion /desire of the posters it's not HAL's position and I would hate for a family that is trying to decide between lines to think it's not good for them just because they have kids.

We have cruised HAL three times with our kids and have an upcoming Alaska cruise with them. Our kids love the line and HAL loves them. The ships don't have all the bells and whistles of the giant ships and the party atmosphere of some other lines but that's not what we travel for.

The reason we like HAL is because of the service and their itineraries. When we travel, we are used to staying in nice places with good customer service and with good food and HAL gives us that in cruise form. As everybody else says, the food is better than other lines, the crew is far superior in terms of customer service and friendliness and the cabins are bigger and more comfortable. There is a great kids club and since there aren't as many kids (because of the perception that families are unwelcome and that there is nothing for kids to do), the kids have a better time because it's more personalized. I understand that people hate unruly kids (I do too and my children know what will happen to them if they don't behave appropriately) but that is generally more a result of the parents not teaching their kids better-not the cruiseline.

Most of the posters have emphasized the quality of the service, but those are subjective evaluations and hard for a new HAL passenger to evaluate.

However, there is an objective reason to accept them at full value, because HAL runs a school for its dining room and cabin stewards in Indonesia and none of them make it onto the ship until after they have been fully tested. They may also be invigorated by the camaraderie of having attended the same school.

I don't know whether any of the other lines have similar schools, but if they do, in my experience (which does not include any of the very expensive luxury lines) they do not produce as consistently a high quality product as the HAL school.

Archived