How are you picked to sit at Captain's Table?

chicail16

They didn't ask for mine...but it's probably a good idea to provide it. ;)

Interesting, because I'm waiting until I have my number (we are part of a group cruise and won't get it until final payment) to set ours up. They would not do it without the reservation number. Maybe I'll try again and get a different person! You know how that works.;)

I hope everyone knows I am asking this honesty because I don't understand. I have never understood why it is a big deal to eat with the officers and/or captain. The only time I have ever cared to dine with an officer was on the Star when we did the Mex Riv itinenary. We met the hotel director and I found her so interesting I would have enjoyed having dinner with her. Not because she was an officer (if a hotel director is even considered an officer) but because I just thought she was very interesting to talk to. I can understand why it would be a honor to be invited to dine with the captain, to be choosen from all the other guest aboard the ship, and I promise I do not mean any disrespect towards the captain or any other officer by posting this. I just never have been that "impressed" with him being the captain. I would only want to dine with him if I liked him as a person.. if I found him interesting. And him being the captain in itself just isn't enough for me.

Im sure I will get flammed for posting this..but just hoping some can explain it to me.

I hope everyone knows I am asking this honesty because I don't understand. I have never understood why it is a big deal to eat with the officers and/or captain. The only time I have ever cared to dine with an officer was on the Star when we did the Mex Riv itinenary. We met the hotel director and I found her so interesting I would have enjoyed having dinner with her. Not because she was an officer (if a hotel director is even considered an officer) but because I just thought she was very interesting to talk to. I can understand why it would be a honor to be invited to dine with the captain, to be choosen from all the other guest aboard the ship, and I promise I do not mean any disrespect towards the captain or any other officer by posting this. I just never have been that "impressed" with him being the captain. I would only want to dine with him if I liked him as a person.. if I found him interesting. And him being the captain in itself just isn't enough for me.

Im sure I will get flammed for posting this..but just hoping some can explain it to me.

no worry terrymtex01. i know what you mean. it is very possible to be starstruck by the men and women with stripes on their uniform. but they are, after all, human beings like the rest of us. would a person be proud to tell their stories from their cruise simply because they dined with the captain...but what if he was a jerk? or vice versa?

while it can be an honor. it needs to be taken in stride. anyone sailing on my cruise in august...if the captain doesn't ask you to dine with him...i'm more than willing to sit at your tables. hehehehehe :D

no worry terrymtex01. i know what you mean. it is very possible to be starstruck by the men and women with stripes on their uniform. but they are, after all, human beings like the rest of us. would a person be proud to tell their stories from their cruise simply because they dined with the captain...but what if he was a jerk? or vice versa?

while it can be an honor. it needs to be taken in stride. anyone sailing on my cruise in august...if the captain doesn't ask you to dine with him...i'm more than willing to sit at your tables. hehehehehe :D

Zone - I didn't think you were allowed in the dining rooms

I think you will find that most (if not all) of the officers on the Star are very interesting and cordial people. Their jobs involve a lot of "social" activities with all sorts of people, and they deal with it. The dining invitations are sometimes by request from a guest, and sometimes by random selection, and sometimes by chance meetings, and sometimes by request from the officers. If you get to know them and they enjoy your company, you will likely be invited. I would bet that if you meet the hotel director on a future trip, you will dine with her again. Bill

Some people are interested in meeting the officers. Why would that matter to anyone else?

Interesting, because I'm waiting until I have my number (we are part of a group cruise and won't get it until final payment) to set ours up. They would not do it without the reservation number. Maybe I'll try again and get a different person! You know how that works.;)

Yup! I really expected to have to jump through more hoops and answer more questions! But I simply sent how many were signed up and the date along with my name and cabin number and got a response the next day, telling me where and when for a M&M!

Easy!

Susan

No flames, Terry! I understand what you are saying.

On some previous sailing, the captain was very unimpressive or couldn't speak english very well and I think it would have felt awkward to sit and have a whole dinner with them.

Then again, we sailed with the "famous" Capt. Johnny on the Mariner of the Seas...he is such a character....almost "rock star" like..that it would have been a hoot to have dinner with him! Capt. Johnny brings his bright yellow Harley on the ship and when you are in port, expect to see him zooming by on the Harley, usually with some cute girl on the back!!(wonder how his wife feels about that!!)

Then when we sailed on the Star last year, the Capt. was just the nicest most friendly captain we have met. We ended up having a great conversation about hockey (both he and we are big hockey fans) at the vip party. A few days later, he invited us for a bridge tour.

We would have enjoyed dinner with him as well. ;)

Susan

I can explain it. I totally understand Terrymex! I always wanted to be the first to write on cruise critic that I declined an invitation to dine with the Captain or an officer. It just seemed sooooo stressful. What do you wear, what do you say, do they entertain me, do I entertain them, why why why me? I might not want to miss a show! Can I order the 32 ouncer if I say yes?

I read a while ago from someone on the boards stating that it is somewhat disrespectful to decline the invitation. Although I see how many can disagree with this viewpoint (it is my cruise, I am paying, I should be able to do what I want), if one delves further, it is not so cut and dry.

From what I understand, and there must be a code of ethics out there on the subject, if you get an invitation to dine with the Captain, then you dine with the Captain. It is not about the ooooohing and aaaaaaahing over the uniform (although it does make it easier if the Captain is a hottie) and it is not about the Captain status (because you really can thank them for the invite and politely decline as someone else will take your place), and it is not about their personality (picking and choosing who you accept or who you decline). Even the officers/crew/staff do not decline when the Captain invites them. I saw it with my own eyes. On one cruise, some officers were busy as all heck...Captain invited last minute...meaning they were walking by table...and were asked to join him at the open seats. Most accepted and some politely declined. On one cruise I was invited to dine at Captain's table. I asked an officer if was okay to say no. He honestly told me that it was sort of disrespectuf...sort of like dissing...and one really should say yes.

In my conclusion, it is the fact that although your vacation, you are still in his house...in his home...and we are guests on his ship...it might be rude to say no.

Now, whether you want to be there or not, it is totally up to your attitude as to the type of experience you have once at the table. I respond by figuring I am there to entertain them. I also learn a lot since many similarities exist in their job on the ship and with mine back home.

I hope my answer helped answer the question Terrymex!

coka

I actually got it which Terry....it's actually is why I sort of related OT. We went to the one meet and greet because the kids wanted to go. A captain of a ship would be major news to a lot of 9. 8 and 6 year olds, which is how old our kids were when we went on our first cruise. The other one was the join the Captain for cocktails. We did it because for the drinks....free is always good!

My first two experiences were nothing to write home about and I really didn't care to do it again after that because I really didn't see what the big deal was. MY DH wanted to see the bridge....he really didn't care about the Captain. After meeting with him though I could have dined with him. He was a pleasure to speak to and very interesting, more like the people that I know in my life.:cool:

Thanks everyone. I was just curious. No disrespect meant to anyone who does want to dine with the captain or any other officer. Doug and I would not decline an invitation most likely as we would not want to be rude or disrespectful. It was just something I was curious about.

As the original poster, I asked the question because I've read a lot about people being invited to sit at the Captain's table. And after 10+ cruises, we've never been asked. We're polite, not too loud or too quiet cruise passengers. We usually stay in the cheaper cabins though, so maybe that's a factor.

Actually on our first cruise (Celebrity) we were told that there was no Captain's table and no throwing of confetti during the sailaway. Okay, I was a huge fan of the 70's television show, "The Love Boat". So, I'm sure that's were most of my fascination about the "Captain's Table" comes from :)

It's the Captain's choice who to invite, but he gets info from the Concierge and other officers. Sometimes it's a great time. Officers are people and some are wonderful to dine with, some less so. But many have had interesting experiences and live very different lives than we do in our careers in companies and desk jobs.

We've dined with Captains, Staff Captains, HDs, F&B managers (if Tony Lockett is the F&B mgr we ALWAYS dine with him, if we can), certain Concierges (Ruth and Simone), even "Cruise Consultants". We became friends with the Chief Staff Engineer and Chief Electrician on the old Cunard Caronia and remain friends with them to this day even though the Caronia is long gone to Saga and the C/E is retired.

The best bar on ANY ship was Caronia's Officers' Wardroom and you had to be invited there. It was cramped and stuffy but the officers on that ship made it a GREAT place to be--lots of fun.

We've dined with some stuffy captains, but not too often. We used to worry about being invited to dine with the captain when we were in the GV or whatever the top suite was on the ship, but life's too short! We'll only turn down an invitation if someone is sick, with one exception: there was one "cruise consultant" who was SO smarmy we asked the concierge to handle getting us out of it. Apparently even his fellows couldn't stand to be around him--but he's a rarity on NCL--usually they are very nice people.

Our very first cruise was on the HAL Ryndam. Frans Consen was the captain, and we saw him out and about quite often, plus he officiated at our vow renewal ceremony, but we were shocked to get an invitation to have dinner with him on the second formal night. It never occurred to me to decline! I was really nervous about it, especially when they seated me next to him, but I needn't have been. He's been all over the world with lots of stories to tell and he's dined with all kinds of people, and he really knew how to put us at our ease. I can't remember what we talked about but there was never a lag in the conversation, and there was lots of laughter. What I do remember is the food! We had a special menu, a signed copy of which was later delivered to our cabin, and lots of really good wine. I had never heard of ice wine before that night but he was a big fan and they stocked it for him. I think we went through several bottles! We exchanged e-mail addresses because he wanted copies of the pictures we had taken, and we wrote sporadically for a few months. I'd love to sail with him again.

So why were we chosen? We were celebrating our 30th anniversary and renewed our vows, so perhaps that was it. Our dining room server told us that the maitre d' looked for people who were friendly and relaxed, so maybe it was because I didn't make a big deal out of being served dover sole with the bones still in, which really upset the maitre d' when he saw that I had deboned it myself. I really don't know. I do know that the night was really special and I'm so glad to have had that experience.

Some of the most wonderful cruising memories I have involve being invited to the bridge on Celebrity cruises. It always centered around a special moment in the cruise -- for example -- in Glacier Bay in Alaska. I am sure our invitations were because we had sailed with Celebrity 20+ times. I miss Celebrity but alas -- I smoke. NCL has offered special moments as well but so far they are the ones we made ourselves. My dream would be to sail out of New York harbor by the Statute of Liberty while visiting the bridge. I honestly enjoy the visits to the bridge or the galley more than eating at the Captain's table.

Yup! I really expected to have to jump through more hoops and answer more questions! But I simply sent how many were signed up and the date along with my name and cabin number and got a response the next day, telling me where and when for a M&M!

Easy!

Susan

Perhaps I'm mixed up. Maybe it was the cabin number they wanted, and I don't have that yet since it is a group cruise. You jogged my memory. Kathy

I can explain it. I totally understand Terrymex! I always wanted to be the first to write on cruise critic that I declined an invitation to dine with the Captain or an officer. It just seemed sooooo stressful. What do you wear, what do you say, do they entertain me, do I entertain them, why why why me? I might not want to miss a show! Can I order the 32 ouncer if I say yes?

I read a while ago from someone on the boards stating that it is somewhat disrespectful to decline the invitation. Although I see how many can disagree with this viewpoint (it is my cruise, I am paying, I should be able to do what I want), if one delves further, it is not so cut and dry.

From what I understand, and there must be a code of ethics out there on the subject, if you get an invitation to dine with the Captain, then you dine with the Captain. It is not about the ooooohing and aaaaaaahing over the uniform (although it does make it easier if the Captain is a hottie) and it is not about the Captain status (because you really can thank them for the invite and politely decline as someone else will take your place), and it is not about their personality (picking and choosing who you accept or who you decline). Even the officers/crew/staff do not decline when the Captain invites them. I saw it with my own eyes. On one cruise, some officers were busy as all heck...Captain invited last minute...meaning they were walking by table...and were asked to join him at the open seats. Most accepted and some politely declined. On one cruise I was invited to dine at Captain's table. I asked an officer if was okay to say no. He honestly told me that it was sort of disrespectuf...sort of like dissing...and one really should say yes.

In my conclusion, it is the fact that although your vacation, you are still in his house...in his home...and we are guests on his ship...it might be rude to say no.

Now, whether you want to be there or not, it is totally up to your attitude as to the type of experience you have once at the table. I respond by figuring I am there to entertain them. I also learn a lot since many similarities exist in their job on the ship and with mine back home.

I hope my answer helped answer the question Terrymex!

coka

Interesting comments, Coka. Thanks. I have often wondered if I could decline an invitation IF ONE SHOULD EVER COME:D. I've never had to worry about it.

I can relate to Terry's feelings. I might be very uncomfortable dining with the captain, but on the other hand, I might enjoy it. It would depend on the person. I can do without the "bragging rights."

I have a feeling I would be more comfortable with an invitation from the Hotel Director. I would love to pick his/her brain. I would have to be careful not to monopolize the conversation.

While we might not enjoy the officer's company, he or she might not enjoy ours. Goes both ways, doesn't it??:D

Kathy

Remember: The Captain is CEO of an enterprise with 800-1200 employees and 2000 to 3000 customers/guests. While much is under the HD, still, the Captain is responsible for EVERYTHING on the ship. It means he/she must know how to manage as well as lead.

But he/she is also in a very prominent public relations and that means the guests. What's a cruise line without guests? Nothing. So in addition to his/her mgt skills in handling the crew he/she needs PR skills to be successful.

On the bridge of the Jade, there's a sign "When all else fails, try asking the Captain." This indicates a sense of humor, always critical to a leader.

Anyone who has worked in a corporation from mega-sized to micro knows that the CEO sets the standard for the culture of that corporation--both positives and negatives. This is just as true on a cruise ship.

The Captain, as the one with the ultimate responsibility for your life and safety, deserves your respect. But the Captain is also working for you, so there's no reason to be intimidated by him/her (unless there IS a reason--but that usually means Security is involved, too.).

Again, captains and senior officers are usually VERY interesting people with very interesting life stories.

Just curious, it seems that suite guests and V.I.P.'s are invited to sit at Captain's table. I also heard that there is a raffle on NCL? Any other ways to get an invite?

We have been in the Garden Villa, Owners Suite, etc. and not once have we ever been invited by an officer let alone the Captain. So can assure you that it does not matter how much money you spend with NCL.

We have been in the Garden Villa, Owners Suite, etc. and not once have we ever been invited by an officer let alone the Captain. So can assure you that it does not matter how much money you spend with NCL.

Did you attend the meet and greet and sign up to dine with an officer? We were assured anyone that wanted , from our cruise critic group, to dine with an officer, would receive an invitation. No guarantee on it being the Captain, but they all have interesting stories. We enjoyed it very much.

Are you saying that the only way to get an invite is to sign up when you attend the Cruise Critic meet N greet? If so, NCL has a blatant disregard for all the other guests that have paid for and are sailing with them. Am I understand that only a select hand picked group are the only ones in the know. I'm truly shocked! Tell me I'm misunderstanding what you just said.

Are you saying that the only way to get an invite is to sign up when you attend the Cruise Critic meet N greet? If so, NCL has a blatant disregard for all the other guests that have paid for and are sailing with them. Am I understand that only a select hand picked group are the only ones in the know. I'm truly shocked! Tell me I'm misunderstanding what you just said.

You may or not be right. There has been a pervasive sense on cc for many years that if you are not a member (with lots of posts) you are not worth a lot.

More than one newcomer has been very offput by this attitude which I must add does NOT apply to some very nice, helpful senior members here.

Remember: The Captain is CEO of an enterprise with 800-1200 employees and 2000 to 3000 customers/guests. While much is under the HD, still, the Captain is responsible for EVERYTHING on the ship. It means he/she must know how to manage as well as lead.

But he/she is also in a very prominent public relations and that means the guests. What's a cruise line without guests? Nothing. So in addition to his/her mgt skills in handling the crew he/she needs PR skills to be successful.

On the bridge of the Jade, there's a sign "When all else fails, try asking the Captain." This indicates a sense of humor, always critical to a leader.

Anyone who has worked in a corporation from mega-sized to micro knows that the CEO sets the standard for the culture of that corporation--both positives and negatives. This is just as true on a cruise ship.

The Captain, as the one with the ultimate responsibility for your life and safety, deserves your respect. But the Captain is also working for you, so there's no reason to be intimidated by him/her (unless there IS a reason--but that usually means Security is involved, too.).

Again, captains and senior officers are usually VERY interesting people with very interesting life stories.

I would be most interested in how he got to be a Sea Captain? I know an airline pilot must have thousands of hours flying all sorts of airplanes from small single-engines to large twins and then thousands more to fly large jets. I suppose a Sea Captain must do the same, but the story would most likely be interesting. :)

DT

Did you attend the meet and greet and sign up to dine with an officer? We were assured anyone that wanted , from our cruise critic group, to dine with an officer, would receive an invitation. No guarantee on it being the Captain, but they all have interesting stories. We enjoyed it very much.

I would be just as happy to have dinner with James, Service Desk Receptionist on the PoA, and possibly soon to be the Internet Center Manger. He seems like a nice guy and always has lots of information to share on CC. Thanks, James! :)

DT

I think you may be reading too much into that post. I'm sure because you haven't received an invitation to dine with the Captain, does not reflect a blatant disregard for you or anyone else that pays their fare and sails with NCL. :rolleyes:

DT

Archived