Just Returned From Summit Yesterday 12/6/04

Andy

Hi Everyone !

I wanted to post a quick note to mention that we just got off of Summit yesterday (12/6), and we had an absolutely outstanding time. This was our 4th trip on Summit, and while they were all great, this sailing was probably the best of them all !

I will try my best to post a review in the next several days, once things slow down a bit at work.

If anyone wants to sail on a GREAT ship, with a GREAT Itinerary, book it quick.... as Summit will not be doing this Itinerary after April of 2005.

IMHO, I think this is a huge mistake by Celebrity. I was told by several Staffers and Officers on the ship, that the passengers are complaining about it like crazy. One Officer told me, that he expects Celebrity to do something about it very soon. While he did not elaborate further, I am hopeful he will prove to be right.

While that would be a great development, I dont see how it can happen until 2006. But, perhaps they will juggle the schedule a bit, and try to make everyone happy.... much sooner than 2006.

In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions about Summit, and I will be happy to answer them !

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy:) welcome home....glad you had such a wonderful time...I leave on Saturday and don't know how I am going to make it through the next 3 days:D ;)

We are sailing on her Dec 17....with great anticipation. We said the Infinity and loved everything about the ship. One question........can I bring some wine aboard to celebrate a few special occassions? I understand they charge corkage in the dining room, and that's fine...but how many bottles can I bring?

Thanks

Rita

Rita-as a practical matter, you can bring as much wine aboard as you want although if you want to bring several cases I would advise Celebrity first. Some friends of mine brought four cases of champagne aboard the Constellation last year for an Birthday celebration in their Royal Suite with a large group of friends. At embarkation one of the ship's officers asked what the cases were all about but when my friends explained it was for their party, the officer said, "Happy Birthday-welcome aboard!"

Andy,

Didn't I tell you when we got back for our Summit trip in April? It was by far our best cruise. The funny thing is each cruise seems to get better, but I don't know how we can top it. The crew was great and the islands are better. I agree changing this itinerary was a mistake. If they were having trouble selling the 11 day, maybe they should have tried keeping the ship running on straight 10 day cruises, Princess does it, or maybe 10,7,4

I hope they fix it. X needs more ships to cover everything they want to be. And they need them fast. I don't know how they are going to survive 8 ship when Horizon leaves. They can't cover everything with the 9 they have.

Amanda

Can you be more specific? Was it a seasoning problem? Freshness? Selection?

I think X's strongest point is the food you get for the money you pay and the quantity they make. Opinions on food are subjective. For example, someone who uses little or no salt might find the food salty. Someone who doesn't like seafood might find their selections limited.

Please elaborate.

Thanks

Suzanne

Andy, I have to admit that the biggest reason I booked a Princess cruise for 2005 was because Summit will no longer be doing this itinerary. This is a huge mistake on Celebrity's part IMO and I hope they will see the error of their ways.

Here we go again with the Floridians thinking it's a bad move for Celebrity to move one M class ship to the West Coast. There is only a 6-month break between May 2005 and Oct 2005 where there is not an M class ship sailing the Caribbean from Florida or San Juan.

This is a good move for Celebrity IMHO, as the Hawaii and Canal sailings are filling up over a year in advance. There is a huge market out here for newer, nicer ships here on the west coast. We have the Infinity this year and part of next year, doing more and more cruises.

You Floridians are so lucky to have the choice of any cruise line, any class of ship, virtually year round.

Can't wait for the Summit cruise we're booked on in April 2006...Celebrity, keep 'em comin out west...

SDCruiser

Great to hear you enjoyed it Andy. I sure did...glad to know we didn't leave the ship a mess for you!

Gotta love the 20 minute ride to and from Boca...huh!

Suzanne, funny you mentioned those two issues: "someone who uses little or no salt might find the food salty. Someone who doesn't like seafood might find their selections limited.". You pinned me on both occasions!

I was on Summit Nov 5 - 15, and found the dining room to be one of the best things about the cruise. The food was IMHO fantastic and perfectly prepared. Not being a big salt-user myself, but having one with me on the cruise, we both were extremely satisfied with all dishes and preparations (I didn't add much salt to any dish, while my mother who came on the cruise added alot). I do not eat any form of seafood, and admit I was worried about the 'gourmet' aspect of Celebrity...a word that usually means 'fish' or 'put fish in it somehow'. Yet I found the selection wonderful, even better in fact than on Royal Caribbean, where at least 1 night on every cruise I had to resort to ordering a New York Strip or chicken breast when I could find nothing else on the menu. On the Summit, I ordered from the entrees every time. I particularly enjoyed the veal, the duck, and the filet. Soups and rouxs were wonderful.

If anything at all isn't perfect, I'd say it was the desserts. Some were very good, and the ice creams were great. But a few cakes and cookies come off just a bit dry and unsweetened. But pies, fruits, and especially the creme brulee, were all very good. That is probably the only weakness I detected in the dining room food at all!

Bisous...I am ready to drop this but you asked for details....so here it is from memory....the halibut steak was tougher than my shoe heels , and very dry.....the steaks were very tough...the rack of lamb very tough, very gamey, the vegetables in huge chunks, broccoli and cauliflower not in pieces but huge clumps....it wasnt about salt or pepper....nothing had taste...the meats were of lower quality...after the leather halibut we were afraid to try the fish again....but the fish and chicken were excellent at the aqua spa cafe....many realized that and it was always quite busy....

all that being said did not in any way spoil our cruise...the cruise certainly isnt about food only....in fact it really isnt about food at all for us but Celebrity boasts that it has the best food on the seas and now charges accordingly, we certainly commented that that is not true...at least not for the Summit...and not for us....

Amanda

Can you be more specific? Was it a seasoning problem? Freshness? Selection?

I think X's strongest point is the food you get for the money you pay and the quantity they make. Opinions on food are subjective. For example, someone who uses little or no salt might find the food salty. Someone who doesn't like seafood might find their selections limited.

Please elaborate.

Thanks

Suzanne

You're absolutely right! Everyone has their own preferences.

I hate salt on my food. I found the food somewhat salty. Not a matter to really complain...I drank more water! They cater to almost 2000 passengers, how can they realistically satisfy everyone's taste buds----IMPOSSIBLE.

The passengers come from different countries and cultures and we didn't bring our moms aboard to cook!!!

I could go on and on but this is it!:)

To sdcruiser

I know we are whining but with the loss of the Summit we lose 10 and 11 day cruises on an m-class ship.After your cruise you'll understand.

Whats the itinery for your cruise?We are booked on the Infinity in April 2006 to sail the Mexican Riviera.

Andy

Met you at the cc party but didn't get a chance to talk to you.It was a great trip wasn't it.

Tom

Say it isn't so!!!!!! :eek: Summit is our favorite ship and we were just taking a break next year going on RCL and Princess. Now I'll have to fly to the west coast to get my Summit Fix!!! This is so cruel to find out just before Christmas! :( Scrooge couldn't have made me feel any worse. sniff...snifff.....

Hi Tomvk,

You still have a 7 night Constellation and a 9-night Millenium cruise option in November and December 2005? If I were you, I'd book the 9 night Millenium to get your last M class fix in in 2005.

Have you ever tried the Royal Caribbean Radiance class ships? They are also fantastic. More active onboard, but really nice layouts and interior. Very clean and nice crew to beat.

We are going on the Summit in April 2006, roundtrip from LA to Hawaii and back. I know the Infinity is also doing this itinerary from San Diego in 2005. I wish we could go then.

You'll have a great time down to the Mexican Riveria. It's not the Caribbean, but it is still a nice place to visit.

SDCruiser

If anyone wants to sail on a GREAT ship, with a GREAT Itinerary, book it quick.... as Summit will not be doing this Itinerary after April of 2005.

What itinerary are you talking about? The 10-Day that visits St.Kitts, St.Thomas, St. Martin, etc?

Archived